Sharks & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Link to California sightings / attacks:

Pacific Coast Shark News

California sightings / mistaken identity.. Is becoming more & more common, tons of food for them out there...
Ill never forget this story which was on BloodyDecks & Spearboard, my playground in La Jolla...

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=81730 04/06/2009

Aquahunter:
Hello everyone,

I don't know how to begin with this report, it's usually a great report but it's not. I'm not going to name this person that I dove with because I hope this idiot learned something yesterday.

Before we started to go diving, I knew he was a newbie. He was politely asking me from time to time if he can go with me to learn the rope of hunting in the kelp. We have been talking back and forth for a few weeks before I decided to give in. I told him just before we started suiting up, "IF THERE'S ANY TROUBLE WE STICK TOGETHER TO SHORE" I made it clear in verbal and hand gestures. Sun just started coming up, I felt pretty good to make this dive.........I was dead wrong.

We suited up at a secret location where we can park our cars just south of La Jolla. Water was nice a little bit choppy, Vizability was a hazy 10 feet but at the bottom was a good 20 feet. We swam northwest to a nice kelp bed, and begun hunting. 20 minutes into the dive, I looked up and see the "idiot" waving at me. I proceed to swim toward to him and saw that he had shot something. He was speaking gibberlish for the first few seconds, and I realized he had a WSB at the end of the shaft and it tangled 60 feet below (I checked my dive watch) First dive down, I saw the fish, looked around 360 degree for any toothy predator then came up. "Nice 50 lbers!" I replied to him. Then I asked him if he need help cutting up the kelp and bring the fish up. He said "yes" then I made the 2nd dive to the fish. Once again, I scanned 360 degree, nothing is around. I cut up the kelp carefully not to cut the reel line and then as soon I made the final cut on a strand. Left hand with the knife, and right hand with the WSB. I look at my right.......I couldn't believe what I'm seeing.......

My mind was racing and my eyes were popping out like a golf ball. I'm staring at the mouth of a great white shark at 10 feet closing in. I let go the fish in a split second and arch back as I could. The shark clamped down on the 3/4 of this 50 lber WSB. I felt a hard hit on my right ribs which turned out the shark's left fin hitting me. I started swimming up as fast as I can. When I was 30 feet away and still in midwater. I look down and see this shark coming at me but with the mouth close. Somehow in the process of dropping the knife when I surface with the shark within few feet of me when I grab my speargun from this "idiot". I told him "Big Shark!! Big Shark!!!" Once this moron saw a glimpse of the shark, he let go his speargun and was hightailing to shore. I yelled at him to stick together so I can guard his back as he can guard my back. But he didn't just pure fear and panic took over his mind and left me there to deal with this shark. Cut the story short, shark was between 12-15 feet long, female, circled me a dozen times until I couldn't see her. I was so scared pointing the gun downward in case she made a attack from below......She didn't and I made it to shore.

First thing was my fear started to go away, then anger build up inside of me. The MORON had the balls to ask me this. I was hoping to hear "Ray. you ok?!?!?" or "Let me help you up" But no, this is what came out of his mouth " Hey Ray, where's my gun?!?" I just let go with my temper, screaming and cussing at this guy for leaving and the important part was to stick together and not abandon your buddy. I packed my gears without letting him talk to me and just left. Last night, drinking several beers to make me relax and I started thinking, it could happen to anyone. So I posted this report to let y'all know. She's out there and be careful guys/gals. I'm graceful that I didn't get a bite from her or getting a SWB when I was swimming up. Also if you find a No Ka Oi Speagun with a Riffe Reel, please let me know so I can return this to the MORON!

Last edited:
I heard this from a diver once. She was behind the glass of an aquarium in the shark tank with some other divers as spotters. She was actually lecturing on the behavior of sharks while diving with them at the aquarium!

For one, sharks do not hunt humans. They are after fish, turtles, seals, etc. Almost all shark attacks are cases mistaken identity. Surfers in particular look like like a turtle or seal from below. Once the shark realizes the mistake they do not finish the attack and leave. No real comfort for the victim. The other instances the diver is either fishing or similar activity and the shark is attracted not to the diver but the catch.

Sharks are also ambush predators. They take their prey by surprise. They are most active hunting when visibility is poor. Either water is murky or light is poor either dawn or dusk. Chances shark attack increase near sun rise or sunset.

Of course, best way not to have shark attack is stay out of water. But, statistically I'm more likely to die or have bodily injury driving to the dive site.

Personally, having seen many of these magnificent creatures diving it is more of a treat and inspiration when I am lucky enough to see one while diving. Never seen a GW though!

I really dislike it when shark stories trend toward the "Jaws Effect", the "Shark Week Effect", or the "Aww, that's nuthin', when I was diving" effect. Yes, shark attacks and shark deaths (rarely) happen, but we need to keep it in perspective. Face it, sharks are a persecuted species by most humans, and the drop in their numbers bears that out.

In Malpelo, last July, we were beginning to ascend out in the blue toward the end of a dive. I looked down and saw one silky shark (they run 7-9') below me, then two, then we were surrounded by over 200 of them, in my honest estimate, circling us, with many as close as six feet. If they had the inclination, they could have attacked en masse and made mince meat of us, but like most sharks, they were just very curious about who/what was in their space, and had come to check us out. That was an experience I will never forget, and would love to repeat.

M3-4.jpg

Here's a little something to help you keep your perspective regarding sharks ...

FLMNH Ichthyology Department: The Relative Risk of Shark Attacks

When put into context with other threats, I'd much rather be swimming with the sharks than engaging in a lot of other activities.

Last edited:
Sharks is amazing creatures thats just amazing to watch in their natural enviroment.
I havent had the fortunate to meet any GW, but I did find these two (Same species, two different days, two different sites) on my last trip.

Theire actually kinda cute in my eyes :p
These two where in the Red Sea btw, and close to where one or more oceanic whitetips attacked 3 snorklers just months before, but I never worried due to as already mentioned the chance to get struck is minimal. I wouldnt go diving in dark, murky waters where great whites come to feed on calving seals, sealions and the like though.

We dont have any sharks where i live or within my normal day-to-day travel range that divers are likely to see.
I have seen some other ones than these as well, but unfortunately been unable to get pictures :(

I've dived with sharks in waters around the world, filmed GWS with Guy Harvey off Guadalupe and had a GWS swim by me when I was buddied up with Wyland so he could film our giant sea bass off Catalina. When I first moved to Catalina in 1969, GWS were one of my fears. After 42 years in the waters here I've learned that they don't consider me food (not fat enough yet). I've had much more frightening interactions with large tiger sharks.

As for the GWS feeding at the surface, this is only partially true. Friends have seen them take sea lions at depth and I've filmed a giant sea bass that was apparently attacked from above by one. Of course I try to limit my surface swims where I might be mistaken for something else.

As for the previous suggestion of a 12 ga bang stick, GWS are fully protected in California.

Here are my list of rules to follow to minimize shark danger while enjoying seeing these beautiful animals in their natural habitat
1. Never feed sharks, never hang around with those who do
2. Don't spear fish in areas where aggressive sharks may be found, and don't dive with those who do
3. Know one species from another, and stay away from the aggressive one
4. Don't dive in low vis in areas where sharks are know to frequent
And if you haven't heard it yet, on of the oldest pieces of advice on shark safety, presented here as a JOKE, not serious advice, is this: Always dive with a buddy. If an aggressive shark comes your way, draw you dive knife, and stab your buddy in the leg. As the shark goes after the buddy, you head to the nearest exit point in a safe yet very deliberate manner.
Be safe, have fun.
DivemasterDennis

In addition to DivemasterDennis's rules ...

- If a shark appears "too curious" and approaches or circles very closely, do your best to keep eye contact with it. If they are in the mood to become aggressive, most would rather approach you from your blind side. This obviously is not going to be a sound defense if you're in the midst of a group of sharks.

- Shark's noses are very sensitive, as they're covered with sensory receptors. If they are within your reach and continuing toward you (too close!), banging them in the nose can work. Photographers have an advantage here; this might be a good time to risk some damage to your equipment when you shove your camera into its nose.

- In the worst case ... if you are attacked ... poke the shark in the eye. Sounds silly, maybe, but if a shark actually gets a hold on you, and you jab them hard right in the eye, they will more than likely release you. This is similar to a woman defending herself from a male attacker by carrying her car keys with one protruding through her fingers and going right for an attacker's eyes. An attacker is very unwilling to risk their sight. In any event, with a shark, fight the animal. They're opportunists, and prefer easy prey. This is not like a bear, where you play dead. Do your best to fend them off if you have to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom