Sharks/Fish with teeth: Are they actually a threat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen nurse sharks, white tipped reef sharks, grey reef sharks, scalloped hammerheads, and one tiger shark off Maui who was a ways off and eating something (not a diver) when we saw it. I have never been on a shark feeding dive, and never fed anything in the ocean (except the occasional upchucking). Most sharks I have seen have been my size or less,thought the hammerheads, some of the nurse sharks, and the tiger were bigger than me. To minimize the chance of being bitten by a shark (the word attack is not descriptive in all cases) I suggest following these guidelines:

1. Don't feed sharks or hang with those who do
2. Don't spearfish
3. Don't "corner" a shark. My wife and I penetrated the hull of the Cartheginian off Maui, and there was a white tip reef shark inside. All it wanted to do was get out, and we made room for it
to do so.
4. Don't dive unprotected in areas that you know are big shark feeding grounds.
5. Don't dive in shark territory if the viz is under 25 feet (great hunting conditions for sharks)
6. If you have the privilege of seeing a shark in its natural habitat and behavior, and it is a privilege, keep your arms and hands close to your body, move lowly and smoothly, if at all,
and enjoy the experience.

Seeing a shark is wonderful. They are not likely interested in you. Respect them, watch them, be alert but calm, and enjoy the encounter!

As to Barracuda, they like shiny things, but encounters involving a bite are very rare. Avoid necklaces or chains that shine and dangle, and if you are really paranoid, lose your rings and earrings too.

DivemasterDennis

When we went to Tahiti we saw more sharks than we could probably count, especially Moorea, there was never a time when I felt that we were in danger. They just seemed to be curious, there was a huge barracuda that hung around the safety stop bar under the boat that was rather intimidating looking but he just stared at us.

My brother was stung by a ray (very painful - it went through his ankle bone), but he stepped on it when standing up from snorkeling, so the ray was provoked. That's one of the reasons they tell you to shuffle your feet when shore diving or swimming in areas where there are rays. And put your feet down carefully, if at all!

My dive instructor had many stories to tell of being very close to nurse sharks (usually when accidentally sneaking up on them -- they like to sleep behind and under ledges). The sharks never threatened him. He loves seeing them, just not quite that close.

Another friend of a friend was "bumped" by a shark, but that was while spearfishing in the dark with a light that broke. Darwin award?

Lol, spearfishing, in the dark, without a light.... Maybe the shark was trying to remind him that next time he might be a mate's lunch.....

IMG_1359.jpg
In december I went to cocos island (costa rica) dove with a lot of hammerheads (not as much as they say you can see) but 15 to 20 schools, also some galapagos sharks, alot of whitetips, and one tiger shark, that one is amazing, before that I had dived with some bullsharks in playa, etc. they are really amazing animals, the first time you see them you feel really intimidated, after seeing you are not their natural food, you start feeling more conftable around them. always keep your armas near your body, no big movements, and you will see they are great animals. one thing I saw is that alot of times specially hammerheads, they are scared by your bubbles, if we wanted them to come near, we had to breath very slowlly so thwy wouldn´t be frightened. One dive I really recomend is the nightdive in manuelita garden with the whitetips, they hunt in packs its AMAZING!!!!, also if you ever go to cozumel, you should cross the channel to Playa del carmen and dive with the bull sharks.
Don´t be afraid of sharks, just be carfull around them.

I am learning scuba diving, it is really amazing experience. I was fascinated when my instructor showed me the coral animal, the big turtle, many kinds of colorful fishes. But after seen this image I am really scared now.

You might be amazed as to the damage a big turtle could do to a diver. :D

As others have said, the chances of a shark biting you are pretty slim, even if you are spearfishing in dirty water and carrying bloody fish. On the other hand, some sharks, in some situations, can be dangerous.... just like your neighbors dog.

Oh yeah, my sister in law was bitten by a shark too.... she was wadding in waist deep water that was turbid and she was wearing a gold ankle bracelet..:no:

^ Really do say where you live, so I can ensure that I stay well away!

For some reason the phrases "I recommend...nightdive" and "they hunt in large packs" do not sound too enticing...
---We too have blues too... They are everywhere, except the poles/upper Canuck country I believe...

My father was "bumped" a few times by a shark diving the rigs off the coast of Louisiana. Yes.. he was spearfishing at the time. The encounter was very odd to hear him tell it. The shark came up him out of no where and ran his nose up and down his chest. Dad tried to shoo him off with his knife. The shark would back away, then did it again. Dad said he spent most of the dive just fending this shark off. Then if went under him and disappeared in a cloud of silt. At that point Dad took the opportunity to surface. The shark actually "chased" him up and came at him when he was climbing the ladder. Thankfully didn't bite him though.

All he can think is that the shark really liked his suntan lotion. He was the only diver it harassed.

You just never know.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 05:49 PM ----------

...and as for the Barracuda, I've seen several of those. Very cool creatures, wish I had a picture. Never once made like they were a threat in any way. They really just did their own thing and left us alone. Nothing to be afraid of, but as someon already said, they do like shiny things. Stay away from shiny jewelry and you're good.

I don't recall where it occurred, but a young boy not too long ago had a baby nurse shark attach it's self to his arm when he was playing near the shore.
My daughter has seen manta rays and nurse sharks snorkeling off the beach.

We would often see sharks while surfing. Usually spinners. I would lay flat on my longboard(s) arms and feet up. My daughter and I were paddling out just before sunset one evening for our last wave when I spotted a bull shark in the face of a wave ahead. I had polarized sunglasses on so I could see it. It was a perfect glassy and gin clear ocean knee high waves. I watched this shark slide off between two kids straddling short boards and two elderly gentlemen floating around. Ignorance is bliss.

Spearfishing aside, the only time I was threatened by a shark was entirely my fault. It was about 10 or 12 years ago so I don't recall the exact site but it was off Palm Beach. I was with some friends on a good size ledge when a Reefie started doing figure 8'ts around us. My buddy was shooting vid, so I thought it would be cool to get the shark between me and my buddy and get a forced perspective shot. As the shark began his next approach I swam out, effectively "trapping" the shark between me and the ledge. Well the pectoral fins went down and he went around me, but I got the message and retreated to my friends. Buddy never got the shot.

Sharks are pretty smart or at least Pavlovian creatures. DD posted some video here recently where he strums the bands on his gun instantly bringing a bull? off the bottom.

Edit. Having reread, I realized I had brain fart. Reason the young boy was bit, was because he inadvertently put his hand under a ledge and disturbed the little guy. Scuba divers are the least likely group to get bit by sharks. We are bigger than most of them, (tanks, fins etc) we tend to dive in more clear water than we surf. Op. check the stats at UF Shark Files.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom