Sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

discrepancy:
Your instructor was not quite right. Diving with a buddy can reduce your chance of being taken by a shark to much less than 50/50. On meeting an aggressive shark, first you take out your dive knife, stab your buddy in the leg, then swim away quickly in the opposite direction.
Reminds me of a dive briefing a DM did on a dive I did in the Belize. He was going thru hand signals, so that he could relay what we were seeing. He went thru turtle, sea horse, barracuda and got to shark. He put his hand over his head like a dorsal fin. Someone asked if that was for small and big sharks.
He replied "No, for big sharks I'll give the hand gesture for "you, stay right here" while I get the hell out of there".
Chris

Mike Veitch:
Yep, the Sand Tigers in NC are a great option. Other than that i would go to the Bahamas. Thats the shark capital of the Caribbean region

The sandtiger sharks in southeastern North Carolina seem to move out in early to mid August. Saw a few on the Gill last week.

The best time to see Sandtiger Sharks in southeastern NC is Mid to late June through Late July.

The artificial shipwreck Hyde is a good place to see them in July.

www.aquaticsafaris.com
www.capefeardivers.com
www.spearitcharters.com

I don't know if they stay year round in Morehead City, but the Papoose and Tarpon are usually inundated with Sandtigers in the summer.

Tom

There is a dive operation based out of Maine that does cage trips for fairly cheap. They chum the water and virtually guarentee sightings. Blue sharks are the most common but there are many shark species in the north atlantic that could show up including the WHITE shark. www.divefishmaine.com
When I dove the Keys the docile nurse shark was seen almost daily on both wreck and reef dives. We saw bull sharks on the Duane but they leave the area when divers hit the boat, they tend to be at the bow near the sand.
Dive more you will see them randomly from time to time. Just last week I saw two 7ft Blue sharks when I dove Saturday Night Ledge, they didn't stick around long and I only saw them while I decended down the the moaring line about 10-15 ft below me, but it added to an already terrific dive.

Cobra852:
Wrong Wrong Wrong you don't have to stab your dive buddy just swim faster then he does.

I'm sorry, but you have not researched this enough.
According to the how to survive Australia guide,

Sharks tend to go for blood so one survival technique by scuba divers is to always dive with a buddy and always have a knife with you. Then if you see a large shark approaching you take the knife, stab your buddy so he starts bleeding profusely and rush back to the boat for a beer to calm the nerves while the shark feasts on your buddy.

Now, shall we go do a Barrier Reef Dive?

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/survival_tips.htm

Land Locked:
I'm sorry, but you have not researched this enough.
According to the how to survive Australia guide,

Sharks tend to go for blood so one survival technique by scuba divers is to always dive with a buddy and always have a knife with you. Then if you see a large shark approaching you take the knife, stab your buddy so he starts bleeding profusely and rush back to the boat for a beer to calm the nerves while the shark feasts on your buddy.

Now, shall we go do a Barrier Reef Dive?

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/survival_tips.htm

I'll do the barrier reef with you. Hope you don't mind if my knife is out the moment we hit the water. It's a BIG knife !!!!!

tzeyap:
I'll do the barrier reef with you. Hope you don't mind if my knife is out the moment we hit the water. It's a BIG knife !!!!!

As long as the knife could open a keg of Fosters!
OMG, I would not last long down there, maybe I should play Canadian?

Visit two wrecks off the coast of NC and you're guaranteed sharks...

The Papoose
& The Caribe Sea

Big sand tiger sharks and real up close and personal...

Ken

ZinnX:
Hey guys, didnt know where else to post this so I stuck it in here..
I live on the Eastern coast of the US and I want to see some sharks on my next dive, and I dont want to spend a WHOLE lot of money....any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom