Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See the movie Sharkwater, it will complete change your mind and get rid of your fear. One of the most amazing films, bar none, that I've ever seen.

PUGMASTER:
I got me one of those crunching fears about sharks. You read up alot on these creatures on the forums, but surely they can sense the stark fear I would protrude.
I don't ever want to let this intefere with my desire to dive, dive, dive but...

I heard the have a product out that is made up of liquified dead shark and if sharks are around and they smell this, they disappear quite quickly. Has anybody ever used this stuff?

I'm thinking about getting a titanium samarai sword.

You got the fear of the wrong thing! Sharks are nothing. The most dangerous stuff in the world is dihydrogen monoxide! We come in contact with the dreadful chemical every single time we go diving! One of the most deadly chemicals on the planet...read all about it here....

http://www.dhmo.org/

:D

Well, I'll admit I haven't had to see bull sharks yet.
However, I did the shark dive with Stuart Cove where we were sitting in a circle and a qualified professional was feeding sharks with a rod. Sharks were all around us, but never paid any attention to us. Literally inches away from me.
I find that if I want to see a shark, I have to swim after IT, rather than the other way around.
I do find jumping in the water with sharks around a bit scary, but once in the water, the fear goes away.

Michael

No sharks in Michigan. I did read a article in Readers Digest about a bull shark going up the Mississippi and killing a few people. I don't remember it exactly but I think it was in the 30's or 40's. I hope the bull sharks don't make a swim into the great lakes.

Hmm, now with all the increased freshwater use we have for drinking, irrigation, canals and the like, rivers like the Mississippi and Colorado are getting more and salty. Presumably that means sharks can come further and further upstream if they wish. Guess they just need to wait patiently under the tire swings!

Mannella, The shark story you are talking about did happen during the Depression, 1930's but it wasn't in Mississippi. The shark swam up a river in New Jersy. Like 25 miles up the river! It was picking of children swimming in that river, which is how just about all kids back then stayed cool during the summer (no AC back then).

I live in Lafayette, LA and as you know "all rivers lead to the sea." If you talk to one of our wildlife and fisheries agents they'll tell you that bull sharks are quite often found in our bayous and rivers 18-20 miles away from Vermilion bay which is our closest salt water. No reported attacks I can rember. But here's what's unique about Louisiana. You can water ski, swim or even dive in the same water that could contain alligators, cottonmouths (posionous snake) and bull sharks!

Hey, I am known to be wrong. LOL Thanks for the correction, I wasnt sure where it happened exactly. Interesting story though.

Back
Top Bottom