She thinks she almost died..but she didn't!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving with your daughter is precious and hand in hand isn't against the laws of scuba :).....I did the same with mine at first. What strikes me as odd is the amount of air she used compared to you. I m assuming you had more than 500 at ur safety stop?

My daughter always had and still has considerable more unused air than I do once the dive is over. Is she breathing properly?
I was surprised at her air consumption, too. I'm almost 50 and twice her weight. She should have had more air than me. I think she probably started using more when she realized we were not finding the anchor. Fear does increase breathing rate.

Last edited:
Your likely to have used less air due to more experience and comfort despite your original plan going out the window. Personally, having a decent amount of experience diving in current, as well as working on a boat that puts divers in current and dealing with diver blown off wrecks, it sounds like you had a well thought out plan B, that you executed successfully, leading to a positive result and a good learning experience for both of your. Good job for that. With this experience you might reconsider some gas management and reflect on that aspect, and from the sounds of things you have certainly done that.

With this experience you might reconsider some gas management and reflect on that aspect, and from the sounds of things you have certainly done that.
That's one of the things I enjoy about Scubaboard. You put it out there and get feedback on the good, the bad and the ugly. Even if you don't agree with other assments, it makes you think about things from other angles.

While I was focused on loosing the anchor line, several have mentioned gas management. And have caused me to see the issue from a diferent perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom