Shearwater Desktop vs Shearwater Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I love the computer -- Best computer I have ever had.

I have a question about the dive log software --- I use both Shearwater Desktop and Shearwater Cloud.
I like the bright interface and traditional (old school) user interface on the desktop software.

Is there a reason why the desktop software can't also connect and sync up to the cloud?

I've always just wondered why Shearwater made a whole new program -- With the dark mode interface in place of just integrating the cloud syncing into the desktop software.

Shearwater is discontinuing support for Desktop and will be Cloud only. I got that info in a recent email exchange.
I liked Desktop, too. :(

Desktop has always been solid from day one. No issues at all.
Cloud was developed later than desktop and to be honest has had a number of issues.
The latest version just released has now solved my problem of being unable to delete dives permanently. Now I just have the problem of some OC dives being reported as CC.
Were it not for the desktop version I would have stopped using shearwater software altogether and found an alternative.

I wish the cloud version were more intuitive. Like adding a dive planning feature. So I don't have to go get my computer to check a planned dive. I have my phone in my hand. I should be able to do it from there without opening multideco or the such.

Does the latest version of cloud allow you to print logs? It’s too bad they are doing away with desktop it is a nice simple program. I had a lot of issues with cloud but maybe I’ll have to try again.

No. Can't print yet. It's on my list, too, bc doing a screen print in that dark background uses all my ink.

Well I hope desktop continues to work going forward.

I have really tried to use Cloud. Total Fail so far with hours of trying over many month and updates. Multiple phones and pc's used.
  • Horibly slow on both Android and and PC importing, syncing, or loading my database of several hundred dives. Minutes of waiting.
  • I have never been able to sync and download dives from my Predators and Petrel2 comp. Both Android and PC version will connect the computer but hang or error out attempting to transfer.

I love my Perdix but the Cloud and Desktop leave much to be desired. Macdive adds GPS. With it it’s like having a Garmin Descent with your Perdix. Great match.

Shearwater is discontinuing support for Desktop and will be Cloud only. I got that info in a recent email exchange.
I liked Desktop, too. :(

Me, too. I really want something that works without a network connection. I guess I'll revert to my paper log or devise something for my laptop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom