Shearwater Desktop vs Shearwater Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I HATE the cloud and quickly gave up on the Shearwater service. As said above, the only thing Shearwater software is good for Is updating my Perdix. I, along with several dive buddies, use DiveLog app on our iPhones/iPads. It works GREAT. Bluetooth connects easily with Perdix. I type details in on iPad and easily and quickly share it to my iPhone so I always have my logbook available. Just my 2 cents worth. The attached pic is the snapshot of the DiveLog app icon….

I love the cloud and enjoy not losing my logged dives as i move between phones, laptops, and desktop computers. Having all of my data and documents available from every device without effort is an incredibly valuable capability.

I am forced to use it while Macdive updates their software for the Perdix 2 (which, I pray, is soon). I absolutely HATE Shearwater cloud.
Subsurface works for me. It might already support the Perdix 2. Support for new model DC's is fast especially if the manufacturer is co-operative (like Shearwater is). For example, Import from the new Shearwater Petrel 3 which was released the same time as Perdix 2.

I appreciate the ethos behind subsurface, and the fact that it's dive software for divers by divers, who actually listen and respond to comments, requests, and bug reports from their user community. If it were a commercial product, I'd say they're to dive software what Shearwater is to DC's when it comes to product quality and customer focus.

Frankly, I don't think I've seen any dive computer that had manufacturer's software that was worth anything. There are other logbook programs that do a great job (Divinglog and SubSurface are a couple that I'm familiar with). One of the good things on this front I've heard about Shearwater is that they seem to be pretty open with developers about interfacing with their computers with other software products. I do use Cloud, but mainly to keep a backup of my raw dive data. Frankly I'd rather them make sure the computer works while diving and collects dive info and keep the logbook secondary.

I HATE the cloud and quickly gave up on the Shearwater service. As said above, the only thing Shearwater software is good for Is updating my Perdix. I, along with several dive buddies, use DiveLog app on our iPhones/iPads. It works GREAT. Bluetooth connects easily with Perdix. I type details in on iPad and easily and quickly share it to my iPhone so I always have my logbook available. Just my 2 cents worth. The attached pic is the snapshot of the DiveLog app icon….
Yup - Dive Log is awesome!!!

On a recent trip to Aruba, I found my new Perdix 2 was not recognized by Dive Log for download and e-mailed their support. The developer (Greg McLaughlin) responded within a few hours with a link to a new beta that had support and I was all set. I had a similar experience with my Teric after that was introduced and he’s also added features at my request so the support and access to communicate directly with the developer is absolutely fantastic!

You can also easily synch it with Diving Log 6.0 for your PC over Wi-Fi for seamless two way backups - so a great ecosystem for both mobile and desktop!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom