Shearwater NERD lens cover question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hm re Vortex Optics - is it size 24 or 26? As there seems to be two quoted.
I have drilled the original cap on the side, then put a thin bungee through but this would be a neater solution :)
I use a Vortex Defender 0-24 hinged scope cover. hinged cap, stainless spring and snug fit.

I've used with no rusting issues. But the rubber boot just split. Still holding on but time to look for a replacment.

As for the different sizes, was there a size change between NERD1 and NERD2?

I've used with no rusting issues. But the rubber boot just split. Still holding on but time to look for a replacment.

As for the different sizes, was there a size change between NERD1 and NERD2?
I had that happen to my first one. I think it was my fault for not getting it far enough down the barrel of the nerd when I installed it, leading to too much flex/wear when opening and closing.

dont get the " Monstrum scope cover" the Defender is better made.
I have no complaints with mine neither do the other CCR divers I know.

What issue have you faced?

They look the same, neither has parts that rust. What makes the Defender better?
I ordered both and thought the defender was a little more robust and the cover seemed to snap in place a little more positively. I thought it was worth 9 more bucks, so I returned the other one. yrmv

I don't get it. Simply flip your loop over so the sun doesn't shine on the lens. Why have your line of site even more obstructed?

Doesn't get in the line of site if you set it to flip the right way.
Bouncy boats tend to shift things and the loop covering the NERD tends to shift leaving the NERD aimed at the sun. It's like a homing instinct. Leave a NERD out, it will find a way to aim itself at the sun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom