Shearwater Petrel 2 vs. SubGravity H3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The H3 has been in the marketplace now for approximately 8 months, and we have had VERY few units experience problems. When they do, they are taken care of under warranty and dealt with professionally and quickly. Thus far, all warranty issues have been dealt with within a week.

Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Randy

Perfect.

Thanks for the sound advice and information so far guys. Anybody been diving with both yet??

Randy....thanks for the weight specs. I'm still on the fence as I don't have the opportunity to dive either one. Any news of another $200 off Labor Day sale like the July 4th one?

OK Thrash,

Here are the weight specs on the H3:

H3 with no wrist strap: 3.8 oz.
H3 with wrist strap: 5 oz.

Keep in mind, the case to the H3 is stainless steel and the lens is sapphire crystal. The computer could have been made to be lighter, but it would have come at a compromise in durability and structural integrity.

For a more detailed comparison chart of the H3 & T1 dive computers compared to several competitors, please see the following link: https://www.sub-gravity.com/comparison-chart/ This chart is not intended to belittle any other manufacturer's product. There are a lot of great dive computers on the market. It is simply a quick and easy reference between several dive computers on the market. (Please note, the information on the reference chart was gleaned from various manufacturer's websites and marketing material. SubGravity is not responsible for the actual accuracy of other manufacturer's representations)

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me us know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,
Randy

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 06:24 PM ----------

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the kind words!

Please keep in mind that I am not commenting on Shearwater's customer service or their turn around time. They have always shown to be great in this regard. I can only tell you that SubGravity usually turns around warranty issues within a week either by replacement, repair, or more often than not, instructing the computer's user on how to properly use the computer. I literally don't think anyone has had to wait longer than a handful of days on the very few units that we have received for service.

The H3 has been in the marketplace now for approximately 8 months, and we have had VERY few units experience problems. When they do, they are taken care of under warranty and dealt with professionally and quickly. Thus far, all warranty issues have been dealt with within a week.

Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Randy

Have the "very few" issues been different issues or a consistent issue? Cheers.

One note on specs, the website lists the SeaBear's as having internal rechargeable Li-Ion. I will never again use any dive equipment that has batteries that cannot be user replaced in the field. Three time's i've had battery fail on a dive trip that I couldn't do anything about (2 Sola lights, my previous dive computer). Its just the nature of batteries, and not specific to any manufacturer.

This is a major compelling issue I use to establish the final field of choices... It put the Petrel at the top of my list.

I have a Petrel 1, and have recently experienced their legendary customer service. When you think of customer service (repair work, ongoing product support), how long of a track record a company has is as important or more than the actual quality level. In this regard, Shearwater stands alone. Many companies start with great enthusiasm, but get overwhelmed by growth or new product launches.

One note on specs, the website lists the SeaBear's as having internal rechargeable Li-Ion. I will never again use any dive equipment that has batteries that cannot be user replaced in the field. Three time's i've had battery fail on a dive trip that I couldn't do anything about (2 Sola lights, my previous dive computer). Its just the nature of batteries, and not specific to any manufacturer.

Just trying to understand. Isn't a rechargeable better? You can top it up every night post dive.

Just trying to understand. Isn't a rechargeable better? You can top it up every night post dive.

so, when it "goes south" (cell fails, didn't charge, forgot charger, etc.) , what do you do? carrying a spare battery saves the day, week, or longer...

The Petrel 1 on a AA will last a long while. I think I had 17 hrs of on time and replaced it only because I wanted to. Before a complex dive or a group of dives, I will replace the battery. I carry a spare with me where ever I am and can purchase the AA anywhere in the world. I do not have to worry about battery charge cycle issues, e.g. how many times they can be charged before they must be replaced and the overall reduction in potential energy as time goes on. I do not have to worry about storing them in a low charge state causing damage to the battery. I can replace the battery during a SI if it gets low. I have replaced the batteries around 5 times in my Petrel for a total of about $5 in the last year. Considering how much a dive can cost, the $1 battery is cheap. I replace all of my batteries in my lights and Petrel before any major dive. Cheap insurance. My GoPro batteries are almost totally fried. The internal battery barely holds a charge and the external battery refused to charge prior to my last dive. The GoPro is about 3 years old. At least I can replace these myself.

I think any internal battery is a failure point that may render the device useless when needed and cause an expensive repair if it must be repaired by a qualified tech. I try not to buy any device that the battery cannot be user changed, rechargeable or not. I recently bought a Light in Motion light. The internal battery was my biggest hesitation but I liked the profile of the light too much.

In the early days of 2nd generation dive computers, Oceanic tried to market one that the battery needed to be OEM replaced. When the user changeable battery came out, that was a major selling point and a lot of users were jealous that you had one. The 2 user changeable ones I bought still work and are still occasionally used. I doubt any of the OEM replacement ones are still out there. This is after 15-20 years later. I suspect my Petrel will also be around years from now without needing extra costs due to OEM battery changes.

Ill take a user replaceable AA any day of the week. I don't like carrying chargers, having to remember to charge etc etc cells die over time and sometimes without warning. Personally I wouldn't buy a computer that doesn't run on AA, Shearwater or one of the HW computers.

I use and regularly dive both units (the sea bear and petrel). Both are excellent units, and each has weaknesses and strengths.

Customer service for both is excellent... stellar.

Function of both is excellent. In other words, they work, provide sound feedback on decompression status, allow one to play around to work out what if scenarios, produce usable data for learning... even in-situ, and are robust enough to be valuable tools for the types of dives I do.

The obvious difference is size. I can wear the Sea Bear walking around pre and post dive 'cos it looks like a watch. Do that with the Petrel and you look like a poser. The screen on the Petrel is bigger and shows more information faster.

Access to menus is a little more intuitive with the Petrel, but I have approximately one hundred times the bottom time with it compared to the Sea Bear. And you know what, getting to and from menus on the Sea Bear is fine... and offers detailed info.

At first, there were a couple of items in the real-time display on the sea bear that had me puzzled (I should have read the user manual I guess), but after a handful of OC and CCR dives with it, a lightbulb went off and I get it now.

The rechargable battery works fine... I charged mine on Monday plugged into the USB port in the truck between the dive shop and charter boat...

Frankly, you cannot go wrong with either. The Petrel is almost a community standard, the Sea Bear is a very cool new kid on the block... buy both!

Hi Doppler,

i know they run the same basic algorithm, but do they give the same dive profiles? No differences in NDL or deco profiles when in use? Just curious, as not many people here seem to be diving both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom