Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ Vipa...

Did you just offer me to play with your UEMIS and missus??? naughty naughty. :)

i live down in London and for sure a distance away from your end. I will see if I can check out a Mares somewhere as the Distributor list for the SDA is still on the thinner front. Never the less I think that I could do without a compass as I have on on my Atmos AI console. I just was looking to get something on my wrist that gives me a bit more information whereas I always have to look down to see my console computer which I find to be a hassle. Good for backup for sure. @ 899 GBP it looks to be alright as with the Mares Icon HD, you need to calculate at least another 200 quid when they release / exchange current shipment of HDs.

Say hi to your SDA and missus... haha...

:rofl3: They say hi back!

One other thing to add on the Uemis is the lack of need for a back light. With my old Suunto if it was getting a bit dark I had to push a button to get the unit to illuminate, the Uemis is always lit up and, set from the factory at 60% gives out enough to offer usefull 'local' illumination (enough to read by!!! and certainly enough to give a buddy enough to find you by) I have turned mine down to 20% but still more than bright enough with no buttons to press etc...

That's what put me off the VR3, as well as being allegedly hugely complicated with nightmare menus to navigate, everything moving forward is £££ £££ £££, you could quite easily spend £800 on one and then endup paying £2,000 with all the additional PINs you need for the bells & whistles... reminded me of the old BMWs when you didn't even get a radio as standard and had to stump up a couple of grand for a factory fit piece of c**p that you could have got in Halfords for £100!!!!

Go on... take the plunge..... you really won't be disapointed! :)

OK I just got the latest firmware update for my Shearwater predator. All I can say is WOW!!! I'll be diving barkley Sound this weekend and cannot wait to get it wet.

It would be nice to be able to turn gasses off and on without reprogramming (not that it's difficult by any stretch of the imagination).

With each upgrade, this computer just gets better and better.

So I just received my SDA and all I can say is wow. I checked out the Mares and even though it has the dive map feature and compass, it looks like a tomtom sat nav on your arm. Also the button on the bottom were harder to operate with thick gloves. What can i say about the SDA, well, nice display and def easy to use. Will take it out for a dive on the 5th. So far I am very pleased and the price I paid for that unit is incredible.

Thanks Vipa for the tip.

So I just received my SDA and all I can say is wow. I checked out the Mares and even though it has the dive map feature and compass, it looks like a tomtom sat nav on your arm. Also the button on the bottom were harder to operate with thick gloves. What can i say about the SDA, well, nice display and def easy to use. Will take it out for a dive on the 5th. So far I am very pleased and the price I paid for that unit is incredible.

Thanks Vipa for the tip.

You are welcome and welcome to the club! :)

Be sure to check out the Uemis section of the Manufacturers part of Scubaboard, there is some good info there and one or 2 people, in particular LauraJ who are a wealth of solid information.

Back
Top Bottom