Shearwater Teric and Transmitter Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not take the time to read all the posts, and I am sure this duplicates many people, but my family of divers puts transmitters on hoses. We have used AI computers for years and we did not mount transmitters for the first three transmitters that were broken mysteriously. Since we moved them to hoses, the breakage has stopped. I have yet to find a downside to the short hose.

The risk almost certainly differs depending on where you dive, what dive ops you use, etc. I know some say they have never had a transmitter mishandled, but I have had it happen and seen it happen. In some places, the boat crews are less sophisticated than other places, and in some environmental situations, gear gets handled roughly. Some people say it is not a problem but some of them have never dived where you have to hand your tank up in choppy water to guy who does not speak your language and who is trying to rapidly haul the tank and BC over the gunwale of small boat as it is pitching and rolling.

Anyway, to me a hose is cheap insurance for a fairly expensive and fragile device.
I am new to AI but I have been in boats that are not really suited for diving and have also experienced the problems of rough water and numerous divers trying to get their gear taken into the boat. Most times the mad dash to get people onboard means that Tanks get handled very roughly and basically lifted in any way possible. That is why I also opted for a 6" hose.

So update...

I received the HP splitters today and hooked them all up to both regulators... no leaks, pressure read full tank, all good. the only thing I noticed was it feels like the hoses are more rigid than normal? Am I imagining this?

Right now i am thinking to return these and purchase a new 1st/2nd stage combo with 2 HP ports.

Thanks in Advance

Your idea of selling offf the splitters and swapping out your 1st and 2nd stages will solve the problem. But it'll cost you a few bucks, and maybe the problem doesn't need to be solved.

Consider just diving the rig with the transmitter only. Keep an SPG and hose in your save-a-dive kit. Transmitters fail once in a blue moon, and it's honestly not a life-threatening issue. If it ever happens, you can bail out of the dive, switch your transmitter out for the SPG, and do the next dive.

I know alot of people use only a transmitter. And alot of people use an Air 2 or BC mounted alternate air. I thought it would be cool to lose as many hoses as I could... But when new diver son in law panicked and quickly needed my octopus (which is now my primary), I realized it can happen so fast I had to give him the inflator/octo... Put us too close to effectively communicate... I've gone back to having a traditional octopus, which now gives me 3 air sources. And common sense and the instruction manual tells me to have an analog gauge even if it is simply clipped to my BC.

Thanks for the replies - I will post a pic of the setup sometime and post

AI.jpg

Also found this in the user guide... I am not going to monitor a second transmitter:

When using multiple transmitters, best reception reliability will be attained when using transmitters of different colors.The different colors have different transmit timing. This prevents communication collisions that could potentially cause a loss of connection.When two transmitters of the same color are used, the potential exists for their communication timing to become synchronized. When this occurs, the transmitters will interfere with each other, resulting in data dropouts. These dropouts may resolve quickly or could last up to 20 minutes or more.By using different colored transmitters, the transmit timing periods are different enough that collisions due to synchronized communications will resolve quickly.Shearwater sells standard gray transmitters, and also yellow transmitters with alternate transmit timing.

Also found this in the user guide... I am not going to monitor a second transmitter:

When using multiple transmitters, best reception reliability will be attained when using transmitters of different colors.The different colors have different transmit timing. This prevents communication collisions that could potentially cause a loss of connection.When two transmitters of the same color are used, the potential exists for their communication timing to become synchronized. When this occurs, the transmitters will interfere with each other, resulting in data dropouts. These dropouts may resolve quickly or could last up to 20 minutes or more.By using different colored transmitters, the transmit timing periods are different enough that collisions due to synchronized communications will resolve quickly.Shearwater sells standard gray transmitters, and also yellow transmitters with alternate transmit timing.
Many of us use two gray transmitters without a problem. Just don't turn them them on at the same time.

Many of us use two gray transmitters without a problem. Just don't turn them them on at the same time.

10-4...

I have transmitter replacement batteries for my save a dive kit, I need a couple of the O rings... and an ultra thin 11/16ths wrench

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom