• Garmin Descent

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Both

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garmin Decent Mk1 for me and I have one. I wish it had AI but the other features make up for that.

Hi. I'm not familiar with the Mk1. Can you share your experience with the battery? Is it rechargeable like the Teric? How many dives can you do (with all the other functions working like step counter, gps, etc) before you need to recharge? Is the battery user replaceable? Thanks.

Hi. I'm not familiar with the Mk1. Can you share your experience with the battery? Is it rechargeable like the Teric? How many dives can you do (with all the other functions working like step counter, gps, etc) before you need to recharge? Is the battery user replaceable? Thanks.
Built in rechargeable battery not user replaceable. Charges from a USB connected charging clip. I usually leave the clip in my car and charge on my way to dive sites (60-90 minute drive).

I charged it on Saturday morning on my way to a dive so it was at 99% on Saturday at around 7:30am. I did a 103 minute dive and have been wearing the watch since for daily use, step tracking and monitoring my heart rate and it is now sitting at 37% (Tuesday 6:30pm) so a little over 80 hours. It will get a charge on my way to my dive tomorrow.

I've done a few double dives and it had no problems at all. I guess I get 2-5 days out of it between charging depending on what I'm doing.

Reading their "adapt" strategy, I just might leave it. Except it won't jive with the Descent.
Adaptive works well, it is the setting I use on my Petrel 2.

I was wondering about the algorithm used by the Garmin. Is it Buhlman or proprietary ? Does it handle trimix ?

I was wondering about the algorithm used by the Garmin. Is it Buhlman or proprietary ? Does it handle trimix ?
I believe it is buhlman and supports trimix. I’ve been thinking about getting one to replace my current dive computer and multisport watch.

From Garmin website
334EF6C9-4BB4-4062-BFE8-052FCB0B6D3B.jpeg

The mk1’s algorithm is in fact Buhlman (16c w configurable gradient factors) and does support Trimix.

After about a year of use it seems to have settled into about 2% battery per dive, and about 16 days of general (non-dive) wear. I was recently on a 10 day dive trip in the Bahamas. I charged it the day before I left, and once about half way in the trip.

The mk1’s algorithm is in fact Buhlman (16c w configurable gradient factors) and does support Trimix.

After about a year of use it seems to have settled into about 2% battery per dive, and about 16 days of general (non-dive) wear. I was recently on a 10 day dive trip in the Bahamas. I charged it the day before I left, and once about half way in the trip.

Ok it supports trimix, but I'd like to know if anyone had indeed used on a trimix dive. There aren't not so many trimix dive computers which can really handle trimix. A new one on the market would be a nice piece of news.

My Mk1 was at 83% as I started my dive today. It was at 78% after the dive which was 114 minutes (115 minutes according to the Mk1 which adds a minute to the dive time :( )

My Mk1 was at 83% as I started my dive today. It was at 78% after the dive which was 114 minutes (115 minutes according to the Mk1 which adds a minute to the dive time :( )

That comes our to roughly 23 min dive per 1% battery drop. I'm not sure if this is the right way to measure battery efficiency on devices like these, not to mention that every device has different power draining features like compass and AI.

However, it will be interesting to compare the Teric in this manner in the absence of any other measurement. Will find out this weekend when I take the Teric for a spin. Will track batt % before dive and after the dive. Then compute # of min it takes for a 1% drop in batt life. Since the Teric has power hungry compass and AI, it's expected for the Teric to have a lower # of dive min per 1% batt life drop. But how low, we'll see.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to compare real world battery drain, please chime in. If nothing else, we can at least compare the same device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom