• Garmin Descent

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Both

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decreasing the samples rates should also increase battery life.

Decreasing the samples rates should also increase battery life.
I don't believe there is any way to change the sample rate on the Descent Mk1.

It samples every second and records every sample unless depth and temperature (and heart rate, if being measured) don't change. If the values don't change, the data are not recorded in the profile but I'm not sure that will have much impact on the battery life.

You know, this worried me quite a bit at first. Then someone pointed out that I charge my phone every single stinking night. I do. You probably do too. So really, what's the big problem? We just have to change how we do things a bit. While in Coz, I charged my Teric every night. No, I didn't miss a night and never forgot it on the nightstand. I think I charged my Descent every third day. I could've gone longer, but why? Again, in the morning, I put the Descent on my left wrist and the Teric on my right. It's habit now. It's definitely not a problem and there's no compelling reason I have to sleep with either of these watches on my wrist. But what about a remote destination where you might not have the right power? In both cases, just bring along an external charger. I found one from Amazon that uses 4 18650 batteries which are the same ones I use in my backup lights.

51WcqxWernL._SL1000_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7170PB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can charge my phone and watches off of this and then switch the plug around and charge the four batteries inside from any USB charger. I got two of 'em. How long will one last? You know, I'm going to fully charge one and then do all my charging on it until I wear it out. BTW, you're not allowed to leave Coz with 'loose' batteries. I carried 8 batteries in two of these with no questions asked in my flight bag. AND, turn it on and I can see the relative charge of the battery easily. I liked that. I really liked that.

The question I had with my Descent Mk1 is when to charge it...

As Pete says above, he charges it when he sleeps. For me, one of the features of the Mk1 (and Teric doesn't have this) is that it tracks my sleep. I don't need to have it track my sleep but I like the information and it helps me work on getting better sleep. Additionally, I use the alarm feature which is brilliant. I have it set to just vibrate at the alarm time. It wakes me without disturbing my wife. If I charged it while I slept I'd lose sleep tracking and the non-wife disturbing alarm.

The Mk1 also tracks my steps. This was one of the main features I wanted and the Mk1 replaced a vivoactve. Leaving it off for a period of time to charge it would mean missing steps. Again, I don't need step tracking, but I find it useful.

I settled on charging in the car on my way to a dive. I'm (hopefully) not sleeping nor stepping while driving to a dive so the only thing I lose is the all day heart rate (which is not a biggie for me). I dive every weekend and usually at least once midweek which is just about the right time for it to be charged.

@ATJ, you could charge for an hour or so in the evening.
True, but the charging for an hour or so in the car twice a week is working for me. I rarely sit still, and the nagging "Move" usually means I'm not still for more than an hour.

Eventually all digital watches are going to be OLED eventually because who wants to look at blah LCD when you can have an amazingly bright,colorful, and CUSTOMIZABLE display. People will charge their watches just like their phones. I would imagine that eventually battery capacity will improve over time so that you can get a couple of weeks or so from a single charge.
As far as the size of the pteric, I am a watch collector guy. If you look at some of the great dive watches over the years, many of which are still popular today, the size is definitely not an issue including the Rolex Sea Dweller and Deep Sea, Panerai Submersible, IWC Aquatimer, Jaeger LeCoutre Master Compressor, and Blancpain Fifty Fathoms... all weigh SIGNIFICANTLY more than the pteric, even without a metal bracelet.

Last edited:
How is the app? Is that as good as others like oceanic or suunto? I am thinking of buying the watch but I also think the app is important to preset the dive parameters or analyze the dives.

How is the app? Is that as good as others like oceanic or suunto? I am thinking of buying the watch but I also think the app is important to preset the dive parameters or analyze the dives.
Not sure if you mean the Teric or the Descent.

The Descent Mk1 uses Garmin Connect which is woefully inadequate as a dive app - dare I say the app is crap? The good thing is that both MacDive and Diving Log 6.0 support loading the FIT files so you can do all your analysis there. You can set all your dive parameters directly on the watch and that's actually very easier and much easier than a lot of other dive computers.

I assume the Teric uses Shearwater Desktop. This is better than Garmin Connect but still pretty basic. Again, you may be better off with one of the third party apps.

@ATJ i meant Garmin. Sorry about that. Finishing my dive trip with a little too many beers. Hence the tardiness :))
But that’s sad to hear. App ecosystem is pretty important. But I am glad there are third party apps. I was hoping that they are into fitness and lifestyle, they would have a sophisticated app for diving.
Thanks for the information:)

Back
Top Bottom