Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, when a new computer makes a real splash (so to speak), it’s usually because it is upping the game in some way. A new flagship.

The Terns are a downgrade from their existing offering. The only “improvement” is a lower price.

Also, when a new computer makes a real splash (so to speak), it’s usually because it is upping the game in some way. A new flagship.

The Terns are a downgrade from their existing offering. The only “improvement” is a lower price.
It offers features more consistent with recreational divers. I've had a Teric since 2019, I don't need the technical features. A Tern TX would do me just fine.

It offers features more consistent with recreational divers. I've had a Teric since 2019, I don't need the technical features. A Tern TX would do me just fine.
Not just one since 2019. 🤣

I just thought it would make a bigger splash by getting AI and digital compass at a price point many more people could manage. But I’ve been wrong before!

They’re an upgraded Peregrine, or a downgraded Teric.

They’re an upgraded Peregrine, or a downgraded Teric.
I’m not a diver yet, but I purchased a Tern TX. I am getting certified next week and wanted my own dive computer. After much research, it was clear Shearwater was the way to go. The issue was I will never do any tech diving which made the Peregrine the perfect choice. BUT, I knew I wanted Air Integration soon, which now made the Peregrine a lousy choice, and the Teric and Perdix were WAY overkill, both in features and price, for my needs.

I actually went to the dive shop to look at and probably purchase a Peregrine and, boom 💥, I am also shown a Tern TX! So, I am the perfect niche for this dive computer. Friday, I’ll get used to the Tern TX during the pool training, and Saturday I get to actually dive with it. I am so excited! 😆

I just thought it would make a bigger splash by getting AI and digital compass at a price point many more people could manage. But I’ve been wrong before!
I'm not sure where you are expecting to find these reviews. The days of unbiased reviews in publications has been gone for a while. New product announcements often come via Social Media. I've seen the announcements for the Tern and Tern TX via these channels.

Agree, not much in the way of detailed reviews, but there isn't a ton that is new with this one. It's a Shearwater running Buhlmann with AI in a watch factor. As mentioned previously it's essentially a Teric focused for the Rec market. For me, the only real question I have with these is regarding the battery. And that's not going to be answered in a review. That will take time. And as it's a Shearwater, if there are battery issues they will take care of it.

Having the Tern can also provide another data point regarding battery drain. The battery in the Tern is different than that in the Teric. The firmware, however, is the same (with some features disabled).
I actually went to the dive shop to look at and probably purchase a Peregrine and, boom 💥, I am also shown a Tern TX! So, I am the perfect niche for this dive computer. Friday, I’ll get used to the Tern TX during the pool training, and Saturday I get to actually dive with it. I am so excited! 😆
Congrats. I think you'll be quite happy with it.

If I didn't own a Teric already (with an Apple Watch Ultra as my backup) I'd buy a Tern TX in a heartbeat.

Does it have anything the Teric does not have?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom