Sheath for a ice pick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PCBCaptChris

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
ScubaBoard Gallery - photo-5

So I wana use this ice pick to dispatch the fish post spearing. However, I want to be able to dive without worrying about stabbing myself. I have a clear plastic tube I tried and then a SS clip I tried as well. I cannot figure out how to securely attach this thing to my BC and still be able to pull it out quickly to use it.

Any ideas?

The Salt Water will ruin that in no time

A piece of vacuum line from an auto parts store of the appropriate diameter will sheath the pick part of it. Just tie it around a boltsnap and you can clip it any place that you want. Just grab the handle and pull it out. Use care to reinstall it, as the vacuum line is flexible.

Dennis you are right. It will corrode quickly. I have 4 of them though. I figure at one a season that'll last me 4 years. At $2 a piece it's still a great deal!

So you're suggesting putting the pick in a tight fitting plastic tube then attach the tube to my BC? My concern is the friction that holds the pick in place would wear with time and when lubricated with fish cracklin' it wouldn't hold the pick...

No, he's suggesting putting it in a tight fitting rubber tube. Fuel lines have been friction fitted to carbs for decades and hold just fine. It's also dirt cheap. So as with the pick, if it goes bye bye, who cares?

Look at attaching it to the spear gun, assuming you are not using a pole spear. It would be convenient for use and you won't be likely to dispatch yourself when putting it away.

Bob
-------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

No, he's suggesting putting it in a tight fitting rubber tube.

:no: Last I checked, rubber is a kind of plastic? More specifically: Synthetic rubbers, organic rubbers, and plastics are all hydrocarbon polymers. I digress.

Good point with losing it not being a concern. That's what I had in mind. I'd just rather not go through a whole bunch of them each season.

I really like the idea of attaching it to the gun. I am thinking up at butt end of the stock.

Two great ideas.

I'm going on a three day hunting trip. I'm gunna go down to the local auto parts some [-]plastic[/-] rubber hose. ;-) Hopefully they'll have maybe an 1/8 inch internal diameter rubber vacuum hose...? Maybe I could describe a specific kind used for a particular application that may closely meet my parameters?

THANKS!!!!

I really like the idea of attaching it to the gun. I am thinking up at butt end of the stock.

You could over drill a hole in the back and then squish in surgical tubing in said hole so the ice pick fits directly into the butt. It wouldn't have to face back, it could be on top or below the butt... just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom