Shell collecting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just wondering about that a while ago. We take all those fish from the sea to eat them--that doesn't mean the fish populations are in any better shape than if we stuffed and mounted them all. I do admire my collection daily, and have for close to 40years. I wouldn't worry too much about taking the occasional live one. Check out that Coweries guy's paper (a few posts back). TH

But I am wondering why it is more noble to take one if you plan to eat it than if you plan to cherish it and admire it.....LOL

Personally I would try to convince the trohpy hunters to take a few photos and let the animal live. I myself think that fish look better swimming than hanging. But that is my opinion and I don't condemn people who disagree. Fiberglass molds look better, last longer, and are in many cases cheaper than skin mounts so why kill if you don't have too?

I do eat fish, and don't see a problem with fisherman of all types, so long as they are responsible and the laws are intelligent ones made for the environment and not in favor of whatever lobby is stronger today. I used to be an avid sw flyfisherman, I still miss tying flies and watching them in the water, but I don't enjoy fishing anymore.

Shell collecting I am not up on fact wise. I know in the tropical places I have been to it was illegal. In NJ there are plenty of shells on the beaches, and to be honest the biggest threat to them here is the surf. I never gave that much thought locally. I do know there are some species under threat for being pretty though in other areas.

To sleep at night when I was fishing, I examined the laws on the books and evidence behind them. I concluded for myself that the recreational fisherman was putting a large burden on populations, and so I made the decision for myself not to keep any fish I caught that I was sure would be able to live once released.

TH where you grew up, recreational fishing was a no impact sport. I do remember NJ in the 70's though, in the Fall you could see guys driving off the beach, their pickup truck beds full of fish. I mean FULL. THese same people are still screaming the limits are too strict. :shakehead:

If the impact of shell collecting in an area is not affecting the population, then by all means collect. If you have to kill an animal to get your trophy, that is up to you and your conscience. I would not knowingly do so, but I don't think you are a bad person if you do.

Divers may wish to check these out: Let's Talk Seashells/thoughts on shell collecting-A Conch-L discussion, and the COA (Conchologists of America). These shed some light on both viewpoints.

PADI says the pictures/bubbles thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom