sherwood brut upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stonedfish

Registered
Reaction score
i have a sherwood brut regulator which has worked reliably, but i want to lower the breathing effort. is it any good if i install a pneumatically balanced second stage such as an apex at20, atx50, aqualung lx or atomic z2? will the pneumatic balancing make any difference at recreational depth limits or can i just get unbalanced 2nd stages and have them tuned to get the same performance?

are there also any good reasons to get rid of the brut 1st stage as well? it has served me well so far, never been out of breath and very easy to take care of. am not thinking of ever going deeper than 130 fsw

The Brut first stage can be upgraded to a Magnum (balanced) first stage by an authorized repairman, simply by replacing the fixed orifice with a floating orifice. I see no need to replace the second stage although a truly balanced second stage, (ie: Zeagle ZX), is wonderful.

stonedfish once bubbled...
i have a sherwood brut regulator which has worked reliably, but i want to lower the breathing effort. is it any good if i install a pneumatically balanced second stage such as an apex at20, atx50, aqualung lx or atomic z2? will the pneumatic balancing make any difference at recreational depth limits or can i just get unbalanced 2nd stages and have them tuned to get the same performance?

are there also any good reasons to get rid of the brut 1st stage as well? it has served me well so far, never been out of breath and very easy to take care of. am not thinking of ever going deeper than 130 fsw

This will work. The Brut first stage is virtually indestructable. I can't think of a good reason to get rid of it.

R..

to Brut Owners:

I asked Sherwood Scuba tech support via their website how i can upgrade my sherwood brut to a balanced piston, and how much does it cost

Sherwood Tech Suport Replied:

"That depends upon the model of Brut regulator you are using. If it is the
current 5000 series first stage, you'd only have to have your local repair
center purchase and change the moving orifice assembly to that of a magnum,
and then add the Bellville Washers. Based on the performance
characteristics of the Brut regulator, you really shouldn't notice a great
deal of difference though, and I'm not sure the expense would be worth it."

Back
Top Bottom