Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ENT gave me the NeilMed with a recipe that is way cheaper than the packets... 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon of regular table salt (non-iodized) in 8 oz. warm water.... works just as well as the packets...

Is this for 8oz or 16 oz of water? 1 1/2 teaspoons total is a lot more than what is in the packets for the 8oz sinus rinse. NeilMed makes a 16oz version of the sinus rinse too.

Best match to natural sea salt is available at any pet store that sells salt for marine aquaria. Just add water and you can snort the Red Sea!

Great idea, I never though to look at a pet store. Sea water does a great job of clearing me out.

Glad you are going to try it. Let us know how it works out.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you. It took me a couple of weeks before I really started feeling great again.

Ok. This REAL skeptical curmudgeon tried the SinuCleanse NetiPot. Followed instructions carefully. Six treatments so far and it's much easier than I thought. I use the gravity method with the pot using only half the recommended dosage of NaCl to start. I was apprehensive at first but I have to admit that I REALLY REALLY enjoy the "after effects". My nasal passages seem much cleaner and breathing feels much easier. I've had a mucous problem for a few weeks and the past two days are the best that I've felt in a while. I don't know whether it's a placebo effect but what comes out of my nostrils after the treatment sure doesn't look like placebo to me. I'm diving tomorrow and I'll see if clearing is any different.

I'm going to try and convince my wife to try it today. She has bad allergies. I'll update again in a few days. Despite my initial doubts, this seems to be one of the best finds on SB for me. :14:

Despite my initial doubts, this seems to be one of the best finds on SB for me. :14:

Glad to hear things are going well. It really is easier than I thought too. Keep us posted on how it is going.

Could it be that this snot thread is bring us all closer together? Could Nasaline and Nelipot put to rest all the bp/w & jacket, splits & jet, DIR & DORK, etc threads? Probably not, but those of us doing the nose salt rinse will be feeling better as we joust one another with posts!

Speaking of snot. I usually have a good bit of scuba snot and come to think of it when I went diving last weekend I don't remember once have to blow my nose in my hand. I usually have to do that a few times and also rinse out the mask. I need to pay more attention to this next time.

It really was easier to clear my hears. My partner and I dropped to 67' in record time and I was able to keep up without any problems. I am usually behind waiting for my ears to clear.

Glad to hear things are going well. It really is easier than I thought too. Keep us posted on how it is going.

Could it be that this snot thread is bring us all closer together?

So here is one of my favorite stories. Totally off-topic. I'm diving in Cozumel a few years ago. There were ten lovely ladies onboard. I'm doing my best impression of being experienced, macho and relaxed. I climb the ladder (always last from a drift dive - I don't care whether I have 2oz of air left, I will be last), and climb aboard facing the gals looking like a manly man. I sit down steering my tank expertly into the tankslot. Ease out of my gear like a true pro. Then my buddy points out to me oh so cleverly that I have about a pound of snot dripping from my face. And I though that the girls were staring at my lovely curls. :eyebrow:

You might as well enjoy it.

It cost me thousands of dollars, three ENT's and two allergists and a CT scan to come to the conclusion that it works better than anything else I've tried, except allergy shots.

You got to try it for free. :D

Terry

Ok. This REAL skeptical curmudgeon tried the SinuCleanse NetiPot. Followed instructions carefully. Six treatments so far and it's much easier than I thought. I use the gravity method with the pot using only half the recommended dosage of NaCl to start. I was apprehensive at first but I have to admit that I REALLY REALLY enjoy the "after effects". My nasal passages seem much cleaner and breathing feels much easier. I've had a mucous problem for a few weeks and the past two days are the best that I've felt in a while. I don't know whether it's a placebo effect but what comes out of my nostrils after the treatment sure doesn't look like placebo to me. I'm diving tomorrow and I'll see if clearing is any different.

I'm going to try and convince my wife to try it today. She has bad allergies. I'll update again in a few days. Despite my initial doubts, this seems to be one of the best finds on SB for me. :14:

Yes, Tridacna, I have been using the "neti pot" for 4 years now almost daily, and it does indeed really help and work. I suggest you tell the Mrs. that ScubaMax recommends it as well. Several top Docs, who have no financial interest in selling salt water use it and recommend it. The packaging of salt solutions are of course a profit motive to cater to those who can't be bothered by finding "pure" salt and mixing it, etc.

Good idea on getting the salt from an aquarium supply store...probably a good value.

I also strongly recommend the following book: "Sinus Relief Now: The Ground-Breaking 5-Step Program for Sinus, Allergy, and AsthmaSufferers" By Jordan Josephson MD.

ScubaMax

Never kiss your honey
When your nose is runny.
You may think it's funny,
But it's ... snot!:D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Scuba is the only social event where pointing out snot dripping from your friend's nose is the height of ettiquette.
Oh well. It takes all kinds.

Just another vote for rinsing. I have been using a sinucleanse neti pot for a while. And it took a little getting used to, but it works! Usually once a day, and when I get a cold or allergy really kicks in, more often. It helps alot, especially if you get post nasal drip.
I used to get a sinus infection about once a year. My allergies would cause congestion (even with the allergy meds) and that seemed to provide the right environment for the infection to start. Now, it doesn't seem to get a chance to get that blocked up. The less med I have to take, the happier I am, especially since I'm allergic to a couple of antibiotic families.
The nurse practitioner likes it too.
I'll get my flu shot on Friday. Gotta stay healthy!
As for the ears, the more I dive, the easier it is to clear!

Well I'm sorry to hear that so many people are afflicted with sinus infections. I hope that this is not as a result of diving, I would not want to look forward to that. I do notice that when I dive with my cousin in FL. he fills his mask and then snorts it which I find to be insane. Would that be for the same purpose?? Hope everyone is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom