shooting smb from depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good advice ... equipment's only worthwhile if you have it on you when needed. But I'd caution about using an SMB as a lift bag ... unless you're letting go of whatever you're lifting and letting it fly to the surface without you…

Good point. I have never used a lift bag with an OPV, just the open bottom type — as in: hook it up, fill from second stage, and get the hell out of the way! That is how I suggest using an SMB as a lift bag as well.

There is more than one way. I hope it didn't come across that I was suggesting otherwise?
who knows, maybe my panties were just in a bunch cuz i ran out of coffee this morning.

That was just the advice I would give to someone in his situation. The best course of action would be for the OP to communicate with his future ANDP instructor to clarify what course of action he felt was applicable.

Transitioning from rec to tec training, many student divers don't realise that their instructors should be much more communicative and involved in helping them prepare for the course.
That I agree with. I was lucky enough to have a great instructor who on her website described in detail what would be needed for each class. Then she met with me prior to class to go over my gear. What would work, what wouldn't, what i had that would work but maybe wasn't optimal.

Good point. I have never used a lift bag with an OPV, just the open bottom type — as in: hook it up, fill from second stage, and get the hell out of the way! That is how I suggest using an SMB as a lift bag as well.

I teach both SMB deployment and lift bag use as part of my AOW class ... but in the latter case I have them swim the object they're lifting to the surface ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For practicing don't use such a big bag. The bag I carry with me has a 5lb lift on it. It works for the majority of the situations that I am currently diving. I can fill it with one breath and hold on to it without it dragging me up. Personally, I would practice in the 40-60' range as it makes controlling depth easier and you only need to fill the bag about half way.
depending on the instructor that may not be an option. I was required to have two lift bags, one with at least 50# of lift.

I teach both SMB deployment and lift bag use as part of my AOW class ... but in the latter case I have them swim the object they're lifting to the surface ...

The problem I usually encounter is mud suction and recovered object entanglement, like an anchor with chain. Most of the time, the bag will lift off the bottom maybe ½ to ¾ full with part of the salvage still on the bottom. As I help it towards lift-off by pulling and/or untangling, the gas in the bag is expanding. Usually the object releases suddenly and heads for sunshine in seconds.

I can only remember one anchor recovery where the bag was full and didn’t have enough displacement to get all the chain off the bottom. We were about 20 Lbs shy so used our BCs. Definitely a risk to the maneuver so having a very reliable hold on the end of the chain was essential.

Life is so much simpler on surface supplied whey you just say, “topside, up 2' on the tugger.” :wink:

No...it damned idiotic.

Specifically warned against by most major agencies and any reputable instructor. :no:

Terrible advice for a recreational diver, but as advice to a ANPD prepared technical diver (doing deco),..along with "kneeling on the bottom", it shows a complete lack of safety awareness and a major experience deficit in the demands/standards of advanced diving.

I didn't know it was such a big deal to use a reel for sending up an SMB. I never had any training in it's use (or any technical training at all for that matter),,, but this video shows it being done at around 2:30 seconds.

‪Diver VS Bullshark‬‏ - YouTube

I didn't know it was such a big deal to use a reel for sending up an SMB. I never had any training in it's use (or any technical training at all for that matter),,, but this video shows it being done at around 2:30 seconds.

‪Diver VS Bullshark‬‏ - YouTube
I believe the idiotic part was about clipping the reel off to you while shooting the bag and not about using a reel.

Thanks for all the response.To date I have not decided which agency to take the class with .I have read both the TDI and Padi books to see what each course consisted of. In addition I have talked to the PADI instructor who told me he requires two reels for his class to shoot bags from 150 feet. The PADI class certifies to 165 feet. Although I asked the other dive shop to have the TDI instructor call me I have yet to hear from him (it's been almost two weeks). I wanted to know what gear he would require me to have for his class.

As a result of talking to the PADI instructor I bought one of the reels to practice with, after all , how much different than a finger spool can it be???
I practiced in 20 feet of water. I think putting a little puff of air in the smb might be the edge I was looking for. I will try it out this weekend. Oh yea it is a hollis SMB if that makes any difference.

I believe the idiotic part was about clipping the reel off to you while shooting the bag and not about using a reel.

Oh, I am so clueless I thought the issue was the reel.
:(

Clipping something off to your body always has it's risks, but nobody clips a reel to their body WHEN sending up a float... do they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom