Shooting Video with my DC500: Better than on my Canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
When I use a digital camera to shoot video rather than using my huge "compact" Camcorder, I like to shoot in the largest size and highest quality like I do with still shots - then compress later on Windows Movie Maker. My Canon A540 6 mp is a very nice camera, and does offer choices of shooting in 320 wide or 640 wide, but I hate it for video as it shoots in AVI and on 640 setting uses up a 2 Gb card in 17 minutes. :11: That sucks.

My Sealife shoots video in ASF so at 640 wide it will shoot over 2 hours on the same 2 Gb card that my Canon uses up in about 1/8 the time. :shakehead: I like that a lot better - at least for pre-editing.

The story changes when I process on WMM tho...
> That 2 GB 17 min video shot at 640 wide with AVI on my Canon will load onto WMM of course, then when I save it at "Best quality for playback on my computer," it compresses to around 168 Mb. I don't think anyone wants to tie up 2 Gb of hard drive to store a 17 min video, but the 168 Mb compression looks about as good on computer playback.
> But while my Sealife DC500 5 mp will shoot that same 17 min in comparison with only 286 Mb of the card used, if I then use WMM to compress it with Save at "Best quality for playback on my computer," it stores at around 252 Mb. Excuse me? That's a hard drive hog and more cumbersome to work with IMO. My solution here is to click "Show More Choices," then opt for the next selection of "Best fit to file size" and reset that to around the same 168 Mb.

Indeed, if I want to load either of these clips on a host site like Myspace, or email for free as a guest on Yousendit.com I really want to compress either of those to under 100 mb - and I have done this with reasonable quality I think. See example below....

I did run some trails with another approach, using a free converter program from WinFF Free Video Converter to simply change the AVI and ASF clips to Windows Media Player. Both compressed that way too, but the ASF original file compressed on conversion to about 2-1/2 times as large at ethe AVI original after conversion.

So while I prefer shooting video from my Sealife rather than my Canon, for the end results - judgment calls seem very indicated. Hey once you get the ASF file loaded onto WMM, added your signs and maybe music, ready to "Save to my computer," saving to different sized files for comparisons are rather easy: Once a Save finishes, just Save again but change the settings.

BTW I know that some people will carry their Sealife as a land shooting camera, but I will not. It'd be a lot more costly to replace than the Canon would be if I damaged or lost it, and caca does happen.

Well, I have never seen a discussion like this, couldn't find one on the net - at least not at my fumbling amateur level, so I ran these trials and wanted to share it here. Any questions, discussions, disagreement, insults, etc...?
cheeky-smiley-024.gif

egrdom.jpg

can you put up a sample video so we can see the quality? I don't shoot much video with my dc500 since it doesn't seem to be that great...

My video quality isn't great also, but I manage. I have some diving videos up on Youtube if you guys want to check them out. My user name is: prskate2. The best video is my turtle one..

Oh, no - not really: I don't have any vids from my DC500 worth loading, the testing I did was much too boring to put up someplace, but then I'm not trying to teach How-to-video here anyway as I'm not very good at it. I don't think you can expect much shooting video from any digital camera, certainly not underwater without lighting; it's just a possibility.

I offered this discussion more to suggest ideas on how to handle videos shot with Sealife cameras, and why I do prefer them to my Canon.

:hmmm: You know, I have a couple of dive vids, one from my previous Sealife 3 mp - which shoots vid the same way as the DC500 and DC600 does now, and another one I shot from my Canon. Let me get those loaded and I'll post later..

Okay here they are. The first one I shot with my old Sealife 3 mp - don't know what the settings were. I was still resistant to studying the manual then. :silly:

MySpaceTV Videos: Scuba Dive off of Utila Is, Honduras by DandyDon

The next one I shot with my Canon A540 set on 640 wide, used almost all of a 2 gb card recording on AVI, then compressed to less than 100 mb on WMM along with adding some signs and music. I loaded this on my main Myspace account, then remembered the music might trip their copyright software, deleted it, and instead retrieved this from where I'd loaded it in January on an alternate account - one that I don't mind losing so much if it happened...

MySpaceTV Videos: Tartan Scuba Video, San Salvador Bahamas by DapperDon

:crafty:

Talk about learning by sharing! Well, I could have researched this better in advance I suppose; admission refunds are available. :p

I see that...
  1. my Canon A540 shoots AVI @ 640 wide @ 30 fps
  2. the DC500 shoots ASF @ 640 wide @ 30 fps
  3. the DC600 uses AVI like my Canon @ 640 wide @ 30 fps
  4. and the DC800 uses AVI @ 640 wide @ 25 fps
Sooooo, with the 6 and 8 mp Sealife, I guess you'll have the same SD card limits I had with the Canon...? :confused:

Ya know, I haven't shot video with my DC600 yet. I have been shooting with my Canon video, and Ikelite setup.... hours of video for 3 minutes of time...

I did setup my DC600 with a light last week... I have a light setup bungeed to the bottom of strobe... I will let you know how that works out... I may even see if it works out for video with the 600,,,

I'm sorry, what does this mean: I have been shooting with my Canon video, and Ikelite setup.... hours of video for 3 minutes of time... :confused:

Which Canon you been using? on 640 wide? What size card? What can you get?

Sooooo, with the 6 and 8 mp Sealife, I guess you'll have the same SD card limits I had with the Canon...? :confused:

I'm not sure what your Canon uses, but the new DC800 can take an SD card up to 4GB and has a 1250mAh battery so you should be able to get plenty of video.:)

We have some videos taken with the DC500, DC600, and DC800 up in our video gallery for anyone interested in taking a look: SeaLife Underwater Cameras

I'm sorry, what does this mean: I have been shooting with my Canon video, and Ikelite setup.... hours of video for 3 minutes of time... :confused:

Which Canon you been using? on 640 wide? What size card? What can you get?
I have a z85 Digital video camera. 60 min. DVI tapes... It usually takes hours of underwater video to get 3 minutes of video that I want to show... lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom