Shore Dive tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed to Bonaire in 5 weeks. What is an appropriate tip for the dive center for those just using the tanks for shore diving? Though I've been to Bonaire twice before, we mixed equally boat and shore. This trip we may do 1 boat dive or none.
Thanks for suggestions.

Rob

Shore diving, when I was there I did not tip the staff at the dive store.

I pulled our truck up, unloaded the empties, loaded full tanks, and drove off... Sure we'd talk a bit on occasion, and that was nice, but it didn't warrant a tip in my opinion...

Honestly it never even occurred to me to tip. I can’t think of any dive shop I have ever tipped.

If I'm luggin' the tanks, probably not tippin' o_O...but that's O.K....gotta luv "dive freedom." :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Seriously, unless someone really goes out of their way, providing service above and beyond the expected, I would not tip when doing a shore package.
Having said that, I have tipped a couple of times when I did get that sort of extra service.

It really depends. If literally just grabbing tanks and that is it probably nothing. But if they are providing any value or service beyond a tank we tip. For example, at Gowest in CUR we primarily used there tanks for shore diving and did one boat. We also used their facilities (bathrooms, lockers, rinse tanks, drying racks etc). They provided good advice and tips for our diving. They provided complementary coffee and tea during the day. When our suits were out in the sun drying out and a passing shower came by I saw them move suits and drying racks under a roof so they would not get soaked. So with extras like this we tip beyond the tip associated with the boat dive. We were very pleased with the op and all they provided so I think we tipped about 20% of what we paid for all our diving.

We were there last year and did shore dives only. We didn't tip. One of the benefits of Bonaire.

We rented tanks from AB last trip and the guys would have the empties out of the bed before I could get out of the cab. And they'd lug the full ones too. Can't remember exactly but we probably gave them $20 to split.

Thanks all. We'll play it by ear. If there is some work done to help us, we'll respond accordingly.
Looking forward to returning to Bonaire and diving at will.

Rob

If we are simply loading and unloading tanks from a station, we do not tip. If using an actual brick and mortar structure (i.e. Hamlet Oasis or Yellow Submarine) where we use benches and areas to gear up, toilets, storage of dry and dive gear, we do tip.

Back
Top Bottom