Shore Dives/VA Beach/Outer Banks etc.,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finances are a touch tight for boat dives right now and the conditions as we all know have been less than favourable. So I'm looking to do a few shore dives. I've done the Triangle Wrecks which didn't offer the best vis (1-3 feet) but were fun dives and ones I would repeat.

Are there are any other shore dives available from Chincoteague to VA Beach or north of Nags Head? Maybe some sites for fossil hunting?

I've been looking at shore diving the CBBT.

We'd have to pick our time pretty carefully as the tide driven current can be pretty sporty there. Slack high water would be my choice.

I've done training dives off Oceanview. The viz was terrible, but we weren't picking times for viz.

People shore dive the Huron in Nags Head and the boiler wreck (off Pea Island, I think). I've been to both shore locations without diving either.

I'm semi-retired, more retired than semi right now. Perhaps we can get together before I get myself busy again.

If you can get through Divemaster qualifications, there are free boat rides to be had in this area.

Hi Don!

I did the Triangle Wrecks off Nags Head last weekend. Nice dives and with more than 1-3 feet of vis I would expect them to be wonderful dives.

I'd be happy diving with you sometime :)

Steve

I would like to join you guys (Steve and Don). Just send me a PM and let me know when you are planning a dive. If I can, I'll be there.

Dennis,

Steve is tied up on weekdays and I'm booked up for the next two weekends, so 23 August looks like our first chance. If you'd like to give it a shot during the week, perhaps you and I can work something out.

I'll drag out the tide tables and see what the possibilities are.

Walking to the first island would be an interesting stunt. :)

Don, thanks for the reply.

I have to work, funny how that is. Although the 23rd is a good day for me as well.

I'll e-mail Steve with that information. We need to determine where to meet, when, etc. I have two tanks of air I need to use so I can get my tanks viz'd. Since I moved to Va, I haven't used my tanks at all.

The place will be Divers Unlimited at 4317 A Pretty Lake Avenue in Norfolk. That's where Shore Drive intersects with Pretty Lake Avenue. In the ADC mapbook that would be Map 199 K2.

High tide at Sewells Point on 23 August is 7:08 PM. That would have us get together at 4:00 PM and then head for the bridge.

There isn't a really good place to park near the bridge, so there will be some walking once we get there. We'll be parking in a residential area on the west side of the bridge approach. In the ADC mapbook that would be Map 200 on the line between J and K and the line between 3 and 4.

We aren't going very deep. I doubt we will see 20 feet, certainly nothing over 35.

Don Burke once bubbled...

People shore dive the Huron in Nags Head

Rumor has it that the Huron was buried by a storm. I dove it last year but one of the shops in Nags Head said all but a small portion of the bow is buried.

Cornfed

DrSteve once bubbled...

I did the Triangle Wrecks off Nags Head last weekend.

How easy are the Triangle Wrecks to find? Is there a bouy (like the Huron)?

Yes the Huron was burried.

Triangle wrecks can be found by following this link:
http://www.wreck-dive.com/beach_dives.htm

There is a markey buoy about 100-150 yard offshore. If you are at the second street access point it is slightly to the right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom