Shore diving advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

people have brought this up but I think i emphasize on it.

Ask for help - I have all fingers and toes but used to struggle with 'asking for help' on boat or at work.

It does make things easier.

Fantastic that you are doing what you are doing! Great that you are stubborn about most of things - but it is ok to ask for help - always.
Exactly what gmanstan said

When I was younger we would ride on a large styrofoam raft with all my friends in their pond. There must have been a combined total of 200 pounds on the raft that was maybe 7x4.5' that came with a TV. If you could find something like that, attach a rope with some weights to it, and then slice some of the bottom layer off to be easier to pull through the sand, you could weigh it down in the sand at your desired depth to gear up, and when it's time to go in just tug it back.

I still use an inner tube for my dive flag. If you get a truck tiretube and cover put a canvas deck on it you could pile your gear on it (possibly add some grommits to lash gear down for surf entry. when you exit, use a line to hang you gear until you are in shallow enough water to load the tire up for the haul up the beach. Another idea would be to ask the prosthetic people if there is a removable brace to give extra support that will protect the leg on the beach.

What you do have going for you is time. You are a new diver and learning how to kit up is one of the lessons that comes with time and practice. You might also want to check with the local Veterans Administration. Sadly, a lot of good people have been put in your situation. Finding dive partners that share you issues is probably a great way to find solutions.

I admire you for wanting to be self-sufficient, but diving with a buddy is a pair activity. you can't see the gear that is behind your back, so you ask him to check it. You can also let him lean on you to put on his fins. I am sure they would be honored to help you with your gear... after the dive you can send them copies of the pics you took and buy them a beer (if they are old enough...)

I don't know how to get you into the water. But I bet if you remove your leg right before you stand up in the surf and then scream "SHARK!" you'll get plenty of help leaving the water...:homealone:

Lizard Leg,

Interesting. Since you admit that your PRIDE is the issue let me put it this way: Your pride may put you in a position where you get stressed and exhausted before a dive. This is not ideal for you or your buddy. Stop it. Figure out how you and your buddy can work together to get you efficiently in the water. That's what buddies are for.

---------- Post Merged at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:01 PM ----------

By the way, I'd happily dive with you anytime and help you get your gear in the water. But when you go to doubles you're on your own.:D

boat

One of the most difficult parts of recovery is learning your limits and asking for help. It takes courage and strength to ask people for help. I know. I'm terrible at asking for help when I need it, too.
i broke my neck in 2001 and I'm horrible about trying to lift everything and do everything I did when I was 20. I'm not a young soldier anymore.
Give this some thought. I used to use it as a daily affirmation because I was so stubborn that I would routinely hurt myself, physically and mentally. "I will have the strength to ask for help".

Did the same dive Sunday August 5. Another member here and his wife were my dive buddies. The difference between this dive and the last was astonishing. We talked about everything ahead of time, and instead of trying to figure out a way to get my rig in the water, they just carried it in for me. Not having to worry about the ankle going crack and being able to just rig up in the water and then hang out in shallow water until I was relaxed/rested and ready to go, well it just made my day.

We kind of hit upon the method of removing the weight pouches and I carry them along with the fins for whomever was lugging my gear. I wished I could have stuck around and bought lunch for them since they were going to a local eatery, but it was a long drive home, and traffic/wrecks/construction along the way added almost 3 hours to an already long trip.

Next time even if I can't go with them, lunch will be on me. Wish I would have thought of that this time
04.gif

This was a great trip for me. They were very familiar with the area and were absolutely amazing guides, and I picked up some tips and tricks from talking with and watching them along the way.

I've given a lot of thought to getting in the water during a shore dive without aid, and the long and short of it is that it's just not very practical - as long as I have a buddy willing to take the extra trip or strong enough to walk both rigs to the water at the same time. Let's take Ft. Pickens for example. Park, rig up, set everything on the seawall. Lug a cart over the steps to the other side. Load everything in the cart and drag it down to the water. Unload and have buddy bring out into the water and wait for me. Bring cart back out of the way. Go back to truck. Try to get as much sand out of the walking foot as possible. Change foot module to dive leg and go dive. Reverse process for getting out. Repeat twice for every tank change. Not impossible, just not practical.

The ankle that has to support my walking weight of @ 240lbs (with prosthetic on) is just a piece of machined Delrin:

IMG_5885.JPG

So, to the husband and wife team who helped me have a wonderful day of diving - thank you!!

Great! And you know what -- I doubt your buddies felt in any way that you needed to do anything for them in return for them helping you into the water. It's what we do, as divers; we help one another.

I would suggest a couple of things, reduce the amount of gear you use and a sit on top kayak with wheels. You can put the kayak on a wheeled cart made for that purpose then load it with your gear. From the car you walk the whole thing into waist deep water, remove the wheels leaving them on the beach or put them in the kayak and you are in the water with the kayak holding you gear as you suit up. As for the gear I tend to dive with the minimum amount of gear, far less then most people here would recommend. I do not know the area but in southern waters in summer shore diving I would use a mask, fins, snorkel, reg, weight belt and a 30 cu/ft tank only. Not sure what the weight is exactly but I would guess it is about a 1/3 to a 1/4 of the weight you are trying to carrying now. A 30 cu/ft tank should be enough for most shore dives though you will not be in the water as long. Not being in the water as long will negate the need for a wetsuit and also greatly reduce the weights you need to carry. The only thing you would need to learn is how to weight yourself properly so you can dive without a BCD. Towing the kayak behind you during the dive will give you a platform for any additional gear like a camera, a place to fly your flag and will provide surface flotation if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom