Shore Diving and Theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pilot Fish - If you dont' want to post your experiance in public, would you mind PM'n me? I'm on and off the board the next day, cause we're flying out Friday, so I'm doing all that last minute stuff. But I would really like to find out before we go, so that I can learn from it.

I've done a lot of reading, and I'm planning on making use of the in-room safe, as well as the offer the resort makes about the use of a "main safe" behind the front desk. So I plan on making full use of both.

BTW, I'll try and make sure to post pics for ya Scubadoo :wink: maybe you'll get a little PBD right before you leave to go back :wink: >:)

I beleive you and drewpy on how safe it is on Bonaire to rent cars/trucks to go around the island diving. I now see I was in error and your information on this subject is more accurate. It is as safe on Bonaire as anywhere else.

scubadobadoo:
Seriously PF, what's your personal story with Bonaire? I noticed you have been there on your profile. No teasing, what's the story, I don't recall you mentioning it before.

Thanks to all....including PF, but would still like to hear the story, must be one. Actually going to Curacao, but I believe both islands must be similar.

Personally, do not plan on leaving anything I can't easily afford to lose, but going to leave dry clothes and towel. If I have to drive back wet in my speedo, so be it. Still months away, but will surely post my own experiences. But doesn't really sound like anything to worry about on a vacation to a beautiful island.

Why are years so long....and where the heck is spell check on this thing....

You're welcome Bluwolf. Sorry to needlessly alarm you. Just follow the advice of Scubadobdoo and Drewpy and you'll be fine. Have fun

bluwolf:
Thanks to all....including PF, but would still like to hear the story, must be one. Actually going to Curacao, but I believe both islands must be similar.

Personally, do not plan on leaving anything I can't easily afford to lose, but going to leave dry clothes and towel. If I have to drive back wet in my speedo, so be it. Still months away, but will surely post my own experiences. But doesn't really sound like anything to worry about on a vacation to a beautiful island.

Why are years so long....and where the heck is spell check on this thing....

rottielover:
BTW, I'll try and make sure to post pics for ya Scubadoo :wink: maybe you'll get a little PBD right before you leave to go back :wink: >:)
I can't wait to see some!!! Have a blast my friend! I am very excited for you!!!! You suck!!!! lol.:D

How safe are the resort parking lots for leaving 'off-diving' stuff in cars in general? I'd imagine I'd want to lock the car and not leave windows open when visiting, say Buddy's Reef and wanting to leave some dry clothes and shoes in the car? Is it generally safer than on shore locations? (I have no idea how 'visiting' parking lots are arranged of course) Or is it best always just to leave the truck available for "inspections"?

piikki:
How safe are the resort parking lots for leaving 'off-diving' stuff in cars in general? I'd imagine I'd want to lock the car and not leave windows open when visiting, say Buddy's Reef and wanting to leave some dry clothes and shoes in the car? Is it generally safer than on shore locations? (I have no idea how 'visiting' parking lots are arranged of course) Or is it best always just to leave the truck available for "inspections"?
While it's much safer at any of the dive resorts to do what you want, just remember Bonaire is a "desert" island. So it's better to leave the windows down just to keep it cool. Although at Buddy's, Habitat, Divi or the Plaza, they do have some form of security presence - although I've heard stuff gets taken at the Plaza occasionally - not surprising, it's a long walk from the parking lot in places.

If you're going to dive the resorts what we did is just leave our street clothes etc. in a locker onsite. I don't even remember locking it anywhere. I carry my cash/cc/dl in a Witz box around my neck when we dive. Once you clip your BMP tag to your BC, you'll never need to show your C-Card so leave it in your room. Although we never had to show ours anywhere after our initial signup at our diveop. And we dove with 4 different diveops during the week. (it was Divefest)

So all someone would get is my shirt and cheap sunglasses (dollar store brand) and cheap day gear bag. By about the 2nd day, once we'd figured out what we'd need, everything else stayed back at the condo and we threw our gear loose on the backseat. But I dive in a t-shirt/shorts so it's easier than if you have a wetsuit/skin.

Just about anywhere you're staying it's no more than a 10min. drive back to your resort if you need something - unless you go past the one-way point north towards Karpata, then it's about 20-30min.(depends on the goats) back thru Rincon

bluwolf:
Actually going to Curacao, but I believe both islands must be similar.
I'm expecting Curacao to be worse - I'll let you know in 21 days...

Having been to Bonaire, although there is the occasional theft, I never saw any warnings like I have about Curacao for certain areas not to go near at night. And if you read shorediving.com's warnings and CheddarChick's recent experience it appears worse than Bonaire. Which is to be expected given that Curacao is a major port in the area and likely attracts many more transients. And has at least twice the population.

Especially when we're diving the more remote sites, I know what to do in Bonaire, but I've no definitive answer about theft from vehicles in Curacao. I suppose I'll ask the rental car people and most likely do windows down unless they suggest otherwise.

sjspeck:
While it's much safer at any of the dive resorts to do what you want, just remember Bonaire is a "desert" island. So it's better to leave the windows down just to keep it cool. Although at Buddy's, Habitat, Divi or the Plaza, they do have some form of security presence - although I've heard stuff gets taken at the Plaza occasionally - not surprising, it's a long walk from the parking lot in places.

If you're going to dive the resorts what we did is just leave our street clothes etc. in a locker onsite. I don't even remember locking it anywhere. I carry my cash/cc/dl in a Witz box around my neck when we dive. Once you clip your BMP tag to your BC, you'll never need to show your C-Card so leave it in your room. Although we never had to show ours anywhere after our initial signup at our diveop. And we dove with 4 different diveops during the week. (it was Divefest)

So all someone would get is my shirt and cheap sunglasses (dollar store brand) and cheap day gear bag. By about the 2nd day, once we'd figured out what we'd need, everything else stayed back at the condo and we threw our gear loose on the backseat. But I dive in a t-shirt/shorts so it's easier than if you have a wetsuit/skin.

Just about anywhere you're staying it's no more than a 10min. drive back to your resort if you need something - unless you go past the one-way point north towards Karpata, then it's about 20-30min.(depends on the goats) back thru Rincon

Thanks again for great advice. I am starting to get the idea. I guess you don't get stopped for driver's license too much on the island either... (By the way how are rental cars - do you need to list all drivers separately or is it very lax that anyone with license can drive and crash the car?? :D)

I need to get one more drybox for my spectacles, and get used to the idea that I can't take my favourite sturdy sandals on every site. Great to know visitors can use the lockers too. I hate flip flopping with my busted up ankles, so maybe few more sites I can do in better footwear. I am planning to pack a couple of padlocks anyway.

piikki:

You have nothing to worry about and should take no additional precautions that you would not take any other place in the dive world. The divers that have been there a lot, that post on this Board, can tell you that. Divers have been there many, many times and have had NO problem at all, even when leaving wallets and cash in the rental car. Relax and have a good time. Bonaire is as safe as any other place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom