Review Boots for shore diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This is a review of my newest dive boots but I have put it in the Bonaire forum because this is where they shine (for me).

For many years I have praised the Mares Trilastic thick soled dive boots and I still do (except for the lack of a tab to hold the zipper closed). But for Bonaire shore dives I have become very frustrated with sand in the zipper making them hard to get off and possibly damaging the zipper. Plus I liked the idea of boots I could just slide on and off.

After some online research I order the Akona 3.5 Low cut Molded sole boots and dove them for the first time in Bonaire last week. Absolutely loved them. Super easy on and off with no zipper to trap sand. Fit was snug dry but once wet they fit like a glove and with the thick molded sole I felt very stable on Bonaire’s iron shores. The low cut did leave a bit of gape between wetsuit and boot and allowed some sand to enter the shoe but since I dive with a sock this posed no problem for me. And I think it is the first dive trip where my boats actually dried before I had to pack them. These are now my go to boots for Bonaire.

Well maybe those do the trick for you, but I only shore dive 3 months a year on Bonaire and I bought a high pair of military combat boots, They lace up, so no worries about the zipper getting sand in. And I also had to buy the next bigger fins, so they fit in. But I won't go to anything else. If you dive the rugged shore like I do, you really need good boots.

This is a review of my newest dive boots but I have put it in the Bonaire forum because this is where they shine (for me).

For many years I have praised the Mares Trilastic thick soled dive boots and I still do (except for the lack of a tab to hold the zipper closed). But for Bonaire shore dives I have become very frustrated with sand in the zipper making them hard to get off and possibly damaging the zipper. Plus I liked the idea of boots I could just slide on and off.

After some online research I order the Akona 3.5 Low cut boots and dove them for the first time in Bonaire last week. Absolutely loved them. Super easy on and off with no zipper to trap sand. Fit was snug dry but once wet they fit like a glove and with the thick molded sole I felt very stable on Bonaire’s iron shores. The low cut did leave a bit of gape between wetsuit and boot and allowed some sand to enter the shoe but since I dive with a sock this posed no problem for me. And I think it is the first dive trip where my boats actually dried before I had to pack them. These are now my go to boots for Bonaire.
We are planning on being on Bonaire in January and my wife will need booties and open heal fins for snorkeling. What you’re describing sounds perfect. Are these the ones Akona Low Cut 3.5mm Boot ? There is another pair shown, just with more molding over the instep, so I wanted to make sure.
Thanks!
Erik

We are planning on being on Bonaire in January and my wife will need booties and open heal fins for snorkeling. What you’re describing sounds perfect. Are these the ones Akona Low Cut 3.5mm Boot ? There is another pair shown, just with more molding over the instep, so I wanted to make sure.
Thanks!
Erik
Good question! I did not even realize there are two versions of their low cut boot. No unfortunately it is the more expensive one. I wear size 6.5 sneaker and the size 5 fit perfectly. I have gone back and edited the name to include the molded sole.

Attachments

• 5684DF77-F13A-459E-B66A-D1B06655BD98.jpeg
    5684DF77-F13A-459E-B66A-D1B06655BD98.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 104
Well maybe those do the trick for you, but I only shore dive 3 months a year on Bonaire and I bought a high pair of military combat boots, They lace up, so no worries about the zipper getting sand in. And I also had to buy the next bigger fins, so they fit in. But I won't go to anything else. If you dive the rugged shore like I do, you really need good boots.
Sounds exactly like my husband’s choice of footwear. He dives Altama shoes and very pleased but there is no thermal protection so he has to wear neoprene socks, 3 or 5 mm typically but he has 7’s too. The laces also allow a lot of sand into the shoe and under the insert. Not to mention I have my boots on and headed to the water minutes before he has managed to get the neoprene socks on, boots and laced. Also off with easily while his takes a bit of effort. So I can do a bit of side by side comparison. Mine give just as much protection and foot support with much less effort. After the 4th dive of the day I want the boot that works but causes me the least amount of stress.

My brother, turned me on to these for Bonaire. SEASOFT SUNRAYS™ 3 mm Half Top Booties 👢
1660620206676.png
They have side zipper, but No drain holes, and therefore stay relatively "sand-free". (You do end up dumping the water out of them.)

@uncfnp , I have Bonaire shore dived an earlier version of those for several years and like them very much. Thanks for your review on the newer model as I’ve “touch up” glued mine to the point they’ve become a bit unsightly and I’ve been looking at these. I dive hard soled boots all the time now because I like the extra stiffness of the sole with my fins. Thanks again…:):clearmask::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I snagged a pair of thick soles from Deep 6 that they were discontinuing. I don't know who made them for them, but they were outstanding last Bonaire trip! They have a built in neoprene bootie and then they lace up - Deep 6 Thick Boots

My brother, turned me on to these for Bonaire. SEASOFT SUNRAYS™ 3 mm Half Top Booties 👢
View attachment 738306They have side zipper, but No drain holes, and therefore stay relatively "sand-free". (You do end up dumping the water out of them.)
I bought a pair of Sunrays for Bonaire on the recommendation of SB'ers, and the only problem was that they were too beefy to fit in my fin pocket comfortably. I dive Deep6Eddy fins in size Large, would have to get a pair of Extra Large just for Bonaire. Not that that would be the biggest expense I have had to bear to dive my beloved Bonaire. Sand in the zipper was not a problem I noticed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom