Shore diving for novice divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pyeung429

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My boyfriend and I are going to the Big Island in about a week, and would like to dive. He recently got certified, and I have about 100+ dives logged. Since boat diving is so expensive, I was considering some easy shore dives, however I am a little worried that it might be too difficult for a novice diver. What are you opinions on this? Do you think it is safe or should we stick to diving with an operator?

ShoreDiving.com has a number of dives that look relatively straightforward and are quite shallow. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

If you really want an introduction, you can ask on the Hawaii forum if anyone wants to be nice and be your guide to a local site. If you are really worried, then you can probably hire a divemaster for a dive or two for less than it would cost for both of you to go on a boat.

I am not too sure specifically about the Big H, but I learned how to dive doing shore dives.

That part is a lot easier than it seems (well aside from the getting tossed thing every now and then). The hardest part is just timing the waves and getting through the surf zone ASAP.

As you state you are an experienced diver I am assuming that you have done a few shores dives and are comfortable with it? Would you be able to be that leaning post for your bf? Help him out if he starts to get tossed?

I am a firm believer that people who learn to dive from shore make for better divers, and I can't think of a better place to start shorediving than the Big Island. If you want some spectacular spots with easy entries, try Crescent Beach and Honaunau. You won't be disappointed.

Shore diving gives you more opportunities to return to the same spot if you find something interesting. Most of my dives in Saudi Red Sea have been shore dives.

If the weather does get rough, make sure you remove your fins before you are too shallow, let the waves bring you in.

Thanks for the reassurance! My boyfriend did his open water with shore diving, so he is not a complete newbie to it. I am confident that if we do dives with easy entry that we will have no problem at all. Looking forward to diving in Kona! :)

Drive up to Hapuna Beach. It's one of the few sandy beaches with reefs close to the beach. There are nice shallow reefs on the south and north ends of the beach with easy walk-in and out of the water, plus a shower and snack bar. Alua Beach is my favorite, but you have to walk over a lot of lava to get there and watch for boat traffic near the opening of the small marina. I wrote this review of it;
Many thanks to Phil Garner for this review of Alua Beach

My wife and I do extensive shore diving in Hawaii, primarily on Maui with some on the Big Island. You should know that at some dive sites the entry is a little dicey due to rocky bottom or other reasons, but there are some use friendly ( and sometimes crowded) sites. I suggest you contact one or more of the dive shops on the Island ( you will need to get air tanks and lead from them anyway, and perhaps other rental gear.) I commend to you Jack's Diving Locker or Kona Honu Divers, both near or in Kailua-Kona. And there are others. As far as doing these dives, a newly certified dive pair can certainly shore dive. Just remember to:

a) be sure you are familiar with the gear you are using
b) do a thorough buddy check
c) plan your dive and dive your plan
d) be sure to have a dive flag ( Hawaii will fine you if you don't, and it is a safety issue)
e) carry a safety sausage or other surface signaling device
f) have someone on shore who knows where you are diving, your basic dive plan, and when you are coming back
g) ask the local shop or other divers in the area about the site and learn all you can before diving there. A lot of locals shore dive, and there is a good chance that you will meet up at a site with someone who is familiar with it.
h) if you remain a little anxious, you can probably "rent" a dive master for a lot less than the cost of a 2 tank boat dive for just one of you. That is always an option

I would recommend that drop a little money to go on the boat for the manta ray night dive. Kona-Honu, Jack's, and other shops do it , and it is worth every penny!!
Have a great time!
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

There are several very easy shore dives on the big island. I did one of them as my first post OW dive and had no troubles at all. Depth about 55-65 feet and lots of great stuff to see. That link Banyan put up is a great source and what I used to find the places I wanted to dive.

Honaunau and Puako were great diving sites for me and my 12 yo son, and we are both novice divers. Get to both sites early in the morning for best conditions. There's a boat launch close to the Puako site that's handy for rinsing your gear after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom