Shore diving from Panama City...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lately I've been reading about cave and cavern certifications. Are either required at Vortex if you only go up to the steel grate and not beyond it?

Nothing has changed there. They still have a lighted rope to guide you in and out.

Next, should I want to pursue a cavern/cave cert, who in the panhandle would you guys recommend for classes? Do they have weekend classes?

Can't help with this one.

IMHO, Vortex would be a better dive for you son than Morrison. I know my, then 13 year old, loved it.

mzenzer:
Another question while I am at it. When I went to Vortex in the late 80's, we went all the way back into the cave to the steel grating with the stop sign, about 300 ft. Lately I've been reading about cave and cavern certifications. Are either required at Vortex if you only go up to the steel grate and not beyond it?

Past 2 weekends me and my bud have been doing the touch the grate and head on back. No cert required and it's fairly simple. Me and my buddy always agree on our ditch sign and stay along the piping on the floor in case we need a line back out.

We also do the jetty dives down in PC and Destin (only once in Destin though) There is a jetty dive store that is usually open on the weekend where you can get air refills. The guy that works there (me and my buddy call him "The Inquisitor") dives the jetty every morning so he can give you a good idea of what goes on there in terms of vis and currents.

Youll probably be fine as long as nothing goes wrong, but as the saying goes, "theres nothing in there worth dying for", so be careful. Read Sheck Exelys Blueprint for Survival to get a good idea of the danger and skills needed for cave diving. Vortex goes back 300ft and is way beyond the cavern zone. Couple that with 110ft depth and you can get into trouble real quick. Vortex does not "require" cave diving certs to go to the grate.

Also, there are manyt instrcutors in florida for cave diving. I can strongly reccomend Jeff Bauer of NACD in Tallahassee. He is listed on their website.

Thanks guys for the info. Normally I wouldn't consider something such as cave diving without the proper training, but I've been in Vortex before quite a few times. Nearly all times were with my brother who has extensive training in overhead/low vis type dives, as he was a special forces diver in the Marines. He put me through his own "course" way back when we use to dive together regarding safety and how to handle particular situations. He was constantly teaching me something.

I'll probably rent a pony at their shop for good measure, and have a couple backup lights.

jviehe:
Morrison is 15 mins south of vortex on the same road. Cypress is east of there another 20mins.

Last I heard Cypress, which was privately owned, had been sold & was now closed to divers. When was the last time you were there?

Frankly, if it is still open to divers, it is superior to Morrison. JMHO, of course! :wink:

SubMariner:
Last I heard Cypress, which was privately owned, had been sold & was now closed to divers. When was the last time you were there?

Frankly, if it is still open to divers, it is superior to Morrison. JMHO, of course! :wink:
I was there after it closed, during last summer. We went to it via canoe from just downriver.

mzenzer:
Thanks guys for the info. Normally I wouldn't consider something such as cave diving without the proper training, but I've been in Vortex before quite a few times. Nearly all times were with my brother who has extensive training in overhead/low vis type dives, as he was a special forces diver in the Marines. He put me through his own "course" way back when we use to dive together regarding safety and how to handle particular situations. He was constantly teaching me something.

I'll probably rent a pony at their shop for good measure, and have a couple backup lights.
Yeah, I usually dont say things like that, because I think people should know their own limits, which depend on the diver. I just dont want it to sound so easy for the newbies on here, so I like to add a disclaimer every once in a while.

jviehe:
Yeah, I usually dont say things like that, because I think people should know their own limits, which depend on the diver. I just dont want it to sound so easy for the newbies on here, so I like to add a disclaimer every once in a while.

No I understand. I've not been a prolific diver at all the last few years and I always appreciate it when someone points things out that I may have overlooked.

Like I said, I wouldn't even consider it if I wasn't already familar with it.

As for Cypress springs, my checkout dive was there. Nice place. Its too bad its only accessible by boat now. I was looking at FL spring websites and even though I may have mentioned before that I went to Morrison, now I'm not sure. I can't remember if I'm confusing it with return trips to Cypress or some other spring.

Either way Morrison looks great so I might include it on my trip as well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom