Shore diving in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived the shoreline at Blue Angel both before and after Wilma (the hurricane you heard about). I've always enjoyed them, regardless of what was or wasn't there. It's been a few years since I have dived there so it's probably even better than I last remember it being.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm glad to get more info from sources who have been there recently. :)

Frankly, the shore diving at Cozumel wasn't all that much better before Wilma, such as it is. That said, I have spent many hours and many tanks over the years tooling around in the shallows between La Ceiba and SCC. It's fun but won't replace boat diving for me.

I've been looking into taking a dive trip next February. One of the locations I've been considering is Coz.

Recently, I had a diver tell me that Coz does not have good shore diving anymore because a lot of the reef was destroyed a few years ago by storms (or maybe she said a hurricane). I don't really know if I should believe her or not, so I thought I would come here and ask.

It's kind of a weird question to answer because of the way it's stated. Asking if Cozumel doesn't have good shore diving anymore intimates that it had good shore diving at one time.

Cozumel's non-shore diving is a 9 out of 10, its shore diving is a 2 out of 10 at best. Maybe it was a 2.5 before at best. So we are still talking about shore diving that's a 2-2.5 out of 10, which is nothing to write home about. Cozumel's shore diving now or before -- it's like going to the prom with your sister. It gets you to the dance, you might make the best of it, but the evening isn't going to end with a bang. Shore diving then or now, it's there to some degree, if you do some, fine, but shore diving wouldn't be a factor in booking a trip to Cozumel. It would be like booking a trip to Cozumel because there's a McDonalds there. It's simply not really relevant.

this is from a couple years back, but probably not far from typical shore diving in COZ..
[video=vimeo;2340270]http://www.vimeo.com/2340270[/video]

Oh, man, I TOTALLY disagree. No, it's not like shore diving at Bonaire and some other places, but the clarity of the water and the abundance of small stuff if you really go slow and look for it is awesome, if you are at one of the places that make it easy, like Scuba Club, Blue Angel, and others. I would definitely not call it 2 or 2.5, I have spent more than a few hours just being still and watching amazing things off Scuba Club. Lately I have stayed in town to enjoy San Miguel, and I do miss those lazy afternoon and evening shore dives a lot!

(reply to mfinley...)

If you will go to my webpage, you can look at my Cozumel trip reports and see many, many images that I have taken on shore dives in front of Scuba Club Cozumel. Like others have said, shore dives are not like the offshore reefs. Instead of coral/sponges, you have lots of rubble. However, muck diving is fantastic. If you go slow and look carefully, you will find all kinds of wonderful critters.

Jim's Web Page

PS We just got home from three weeks at SCC. I'm working on the trip report...stay tuned.

I wouldn't waste my time going to Cozumel to go shore diving.. nope, nada, nyet.. :D

Last time I was there, last March, all I could find is these guys.. Shore Diving Photos

Okay.. I fibbed, I'm booked for 8 days starting this Saturday.. :rofl3:

So if we were all in Cozumel and we met on the dock in the morning and we said, okay, you have your choice to go out on a boat dive or you can stay here and shore dive, how many would opt out of the boat dive and stay and shore dive?

How many days in a row of making the choice to go boat diving would it be before you'd finally opt out and stay and shore dive?

Suddenly we have a dozen people who go to Cozumel for the shore diving.:shakehead:

Tomayto, tomahto. We are not disagreeing about what the shore diving is, we are disagreeing (some of us) about how we feel about it. If the shore diving, such as it is, were all there is at Cozumel, it would not be the diving mecca that it is. It's a great (or not, depending on how you feel about it) adjunct to the boat diving there, but for most of us it would not be worth going there to dive if it were all there is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom