Shore diving on Cayman Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have corresponded with the nice folks at Scuba Shack regarding solo diving and received this prompt reply. I will likely take my pony with me on my next solo visit and take advantage of the shore diving. This is a nice option :). I would check with Scuba Shack before counting on shore diving. I communicated that I had the SDI Solo Diver cert. I would imagine that they accept alternative solo certs but did not ask them.

Hi Craig,

I have checked with the owners of Brac Scuba Shack as you did not mention on your first email that you hold a solo diving certification.

They have said that provided you have a pony bottle with you as well as a regular scuba cylinder then you can solo shore dive (as long as you bring that certification card with you).

We do not have pony bottles here so this is something you would need to bring with you, we can fill it for you provided it has an in date hydro and visual.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sunny regards
Caz

Sue/Dave,
We appreciate the offer but we'll be there next week! We're Brac beginners, so maybe next time. If you don't mind telling, where do you generally stay for shore diving and can you dive directly from the propery? Any other advice for newbys who like to explore the whole island?

Thanks, Ray
HI Ray,
So sorry I missed your reply; from the timing, I bet you are on the Brac right now. Hope you are having a great time. We stay on the south side at Brac Caribbean Beach Village Condos (right behind Captain's Table restaurant). The island is so small, it's an easy drive to any of the shore diving spots ... which are mainly on the North side.
As to advice on things to do, if this has reached you in time...be sure to explore some of the caves, check out the bluff (of course!) and the sunset from the West End, the small museum in Stake Bay is worth a trip. There are a few small little shops to visit and some nice family-run restaurants. I love the slow, easy pace of the Brac; hope you and Pam loved it. Post a trip report. Our first time there was just a daytrip during a longer stay on GC, and we fell in love with the Brac and her people.

Thanks for the info, making our first boat diving trip to Brac next month. Recently started hearing about the shore diving so will be checking it out and accomodations on northwest side for a future trip. Shore Diving Guide to Cayman Brac at Scuba Shack, will get it.
Would you use the bikes again or rent a vehicle just for sightseeing?

You would need a car for shore diving, bike was fine for looking around in a limited radius.

Any car rental suggestions convenient for people staying at Cayman Brac beach resort.

We always rent a car for one day on either Brac or Little just to tour the island and check things out - it's a pretty quick tour on Little Cayman!

To rent a car we usually just ask the front desk at the hotel to make the arrangements for us. But if we wanted a car for a longer period of time, we would do some research first. I believe that rental cars are cheaper on Grand Cayman than the sister islands - probably due to competition! If you rent a car on one of the Cayman Islands and plan to visit another island, save the temp drivers permit that you buy for $20 CID, because it is good for month on all 3 islands.

On both sister islands, someone from a car rental agency shows up and drives us to their office to fill out the paperwork and get the keys. I think one time we had a time crunch before leaving for the airport and they told us to just leave the car out in front of the hotel and leave the keys with the desk and they would pick it up later.

The rental cars on Brac and Little are usually not as new and spiffy as rental cars on GC. The car we rented on Little Cayman just 2 weeks ago had 70,000 miles and they showed! But it worked fine and got us around and that's all we wanted. And if the car doesn't meet your expectations (poor AC or something) you can ask for another one.

One strange thing we discovered while renting a car on LC recently is that they will not sell you liability insurance - you cannot buy it for a rental car on the island! They will sell damage and collision (or you can waive it) but not liability. Our credit card includes damage and collision but not liability. The island is so small and quiet that the chance of a wreck is very low, but you are driving on the left side of the road. We tried to buy liability insurance but we could not get it on Little, but I am sure that we have bought liability insurance on Brac in the past.

When we buy trip insurance I always waive the optional rental car insurance options, but I may have to rethink that in the future!

There is more stuff to see when driving around Brac than LC - but not a lot more - but there are some houses and shops and a few restaurants and bars and the topography of the island is more interesting. You can also visit the caves, and both islands have wetlands and nature preserves. Both islands have interesting small museums that are worth visiting.

There used to be a very high-end and pricey hotel called L'Soliel d'Or on Brac, were you could get farm to table cuisine, but that resort has closed recently or is closing.

On LC you can easily walk or bike to Blossom Village to the grocery and liquor store and gas station (actually the gas pump!) from LCBR, but if you walk back at dusk or after dark, you will be walking past areas of heavy vegetation and mosquitos - so I prefer to drive.

There are 4 hotels on Little so you can visit and look around and have a drink, we stopped in at Southern Cross during our recent visit. But LCBR is the only hotel that stays open in August and September, the others shut down.

You can kayak to deserted Owen Island on Little to picnic and snorkel, but I have heard that the mosquitos are bad - I have a fear of mosquitos!

There is also a marine science research facility on Little and they give tours on Friday afternoons:
CCMI - Central Caribbean Marine Institute

I love all 3 Cayman Islands for similar and different reasons, see the links below and have fun!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147364-i260-k8593445-The_differences_for_a_diver_between_the_3_Cayman_islands-Cayman_Islands.html

Sister islands diving article:
http://www.alertdiver.com/Caymans_Sister_Islands

Additional photos:
http://www.alertdiver.com/Sister_Islands_gallery

Little Cayman:
http://www.qsl.net/zf2nt/index.htm

Here's an article about non-diving activities on Little Cayman:
https://www.caymancompass.com/2015/07/24/From-Grand-to-Little--a-relaxing-island-hop/

LC Summer Shutdown:
https://www.caymancompass.com/2015/08/07/little-cayman-s-big-summer-shutdown/

Little Cayman article:
https://www.caribjournal.com/2017/06/22/why-you-need-to-visit-little-cayman/#

Little Cayman video:
https://youtu.be/Q6pJ7-Acks0

LCBR video:
https://www.facebook.com/littlecaymanbeachresort/videos/10158715980845230/

Cayman Brac video:
https://vimeo.com/165357805

https://youtu.be/NTcZso-Zg80

Cayman Brac:
http://www.xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/Travel_CaymanBrac_LawsonWood_60_locked.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/cayman.brac.diving/posts/874214046078664#

http://caribjournal.com/2015/09/15/journey-to-cayman-brac/

Cayman Brac free tours:
http://www.islands.com/free-tour-you-cant-miss-cayman-brac

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147368-i2234-k9620239-Day_trip_one_day_car_rental_McLaughlins_email_address-Little_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html#76031148

Last edited:
Anyone know whether the powers that be on Brac make an issue of solo shore diving? If someone Brac Scuba Shack doesn’t know shows up with a c-card to rent tanks, weights and a dive float, obviously alone, is it ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell,’ or what?

Richard.
Hi Richard, I am new to this so please be gentle. As for solo diving, if you have the correct certification and equipment you are welcome to solo dive. Most dive staff in the Cayman Islands would prefer you not to and have a negative response to solo diving due to a number of accidents that we had. The local dive shops also need to abide by associations that they belong to. Many small groups go out shore diving and it's easy to tag along. The Brac is a breeze though to do solo diving if the weather is good. Entry and exits are not too difficult and you can find information easy. The main problem would be boat traffic at some places, that's what the flag is for. Simply leave the flag close to your entry point and fishermen will be more aware, no need to carry it with you all the time, even better if you have a smb. I hope this helps

If some of the locals are smart, they will setup packages like they do on Bonaire that include a rental truck, a preferred pricing for tank fills with one of the dive outfits, and housing at a condo or rental home. There is not really any reason it can't be as good or better than Bonaire, especially since you could likely leave anything you want in a rental vehicle on Brac and not expect to have it stolen while diving.

Regarding shore diving from the resorts, the main problems with diving the south side of both Brac and Little from inside the lagoon is that a large percentage of the water coming into the lagoon over the top of the fringing reef in the form of waves ends up flowing back out through the channel cut in the form of a very strong current. So if you get into the current along the channel, you are very likely to end up on the outside of the reef with no way back in except to crawl over a jagged reef with waves breaking onto it. There is not much to see on the inside of the reef that couldn't be seen by snorkeling, so generally they discourage folks from trying to dive the lagoon.

I doubt the Brac Reef Resort would be interested in setting up the sort of package you are talking about as they already offer afternoon boat diving and the resort tends to be busy most of the time.

Maybe not @Doctorfish, the Reef Divers facility at Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman is currently (partially) closed while the resort upgrades the AC systems, but when they re-open in April they will begin offering dive packages that include 2 or 3 boat dives per day with the option for free shore dives on the house reef, including night shore dives (I think) weather permitting.

Of course, that is limited to the house reef so that is different from the situation on Bonaire, but at least it shows that they are willing to integrate shore diving and afternoon boat diving in a resort setting. They've always offered morning boat dives with shore dives on the house reef, weather permitting, at CCGCR.

As I'm sure you know, there is some very nice shore diving available on Grand Cayman but it is not like Bonaire, there is generally a dive op on site at the popular shore dives and you rent your tanks and weights from them, generally for about $15 per tank, so it is an economical option for Cayman (except for the Eden Rock dive op that is popular with cruise ship passengers that also charges per pound for weights!) But the north end of the west side of the island, where some of the best shore dives are located (including CCGCR) can get winded out easily - especially during the high travel season of winter.

In general, Grand Cayman shore dives are very convenient because there is usually an easy entry/exit, often with a ladder or ramp, and they usually have showers, rinse tanks, and other facilities on site - but that is not same "diving freedom" as loading up the truck with tanks and heading down the road looking for painted rocks like on Bonaire, but it is easy, economical, good diving - and at least nobody steals the stuff from the car while you are shore diving on GC!

A complaint that you sometimes hear about diving the Caymans is that it is really not a great place for a diver that wants to economically do 4 to 5 dives per day. Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point on the East End offers 4 good boat dives per day but that can be pricey, and of course the Cayman Aggressor will provide 4 to 5 dives per day but not everybody is looking for a liveaboard, especially if they are traveling with a non-diver, and it is also pricey.

Most of the GC dive ops will offer extra afternoon dives like excursions to Sting Ray City or the Kittiwake, and they also offer night boat dives a couple of times per week (if there is enough interest) but again those are extras that add to the expense, and availability is dependent on the number of interested individuals.

But Cobalt Coast, a dive op/resort combo that will be offering an economical, all-inclusive package with 3 boat dives per day and unlimited tanks for house reef shore diving - including night shore dives - may fill a new niche in the Grand Cayman dive market.

And if the Cayman Brac Beach Resort and Reef Divers made it easy for divers to rent a car and combine boat and shore diving options on Brac that could also be attractive to visitors that want to "dive, dive, dive" but at a price that won't blow the budget.

But I am not sure how Reef Divers could reconcile the "valet diving" features with driving down the road to shore dive on Brac? Currently at CBBR you leave your BC, regulator, and weights on the boat and just rinse and hang your suit, mask, and fins after boat diving - and they always lock up the equipment room at night - so you would have to retain access to your equipment to take advantage of both boat and off-road shore diving on Brac. I imagine that it would be a little easier at Cobalt Coast where you are only shore diving the house reef, but there is no house reef at CBBR. When we dived with RD at CCGCR we were not staying at the resort, so we were carrying our equipment, but they did bring our gear to the back of the boat and helped us to put it on as part of their valet service.

At CBBR I think that you would probably have to choose between "boat dives only with full valet dive services" or "fewer boat dives with limited valet services and unlimited shore dives." I know the option that I would pick, I really like the ease of the full valet diving services!

The other dive op on the island, Brac Scuba Shack, may be in a better position to expand their operation and help divers to take advantage of both boat and shore diving options, and as others have mentioned, they are starting to offer boat and shore dive packages at economical prices.

Right now BSS are offering (during May, Sept, and Oct 2018) a package with private accommodations (a house with a pool), 6 days of 2-tank boat dives, a rental car, and unlimited shore diving for only $1,015 per person. That sounds like a bargain for Cayman, see the link below; but you will be on your own for food and beverages, so I still think the all-inclusive packages at CBBR are a good deal.

2018 Brac Scuba Shack Packages at 2017 Prices!

There needs to be a third option for diving in CB. One along the lines that AggieDiver mentions. Reef Divers does not offer a package unless you stay with them and the Brac Shack is too small to give out more than one tank at a time when they are open. Neither model would survive in a more competitive location like Bonaire. Furthermore, CB would be a great location for technical diving, yet there is none.

You're right @divezonescuba, below is a thread about a group of rebreather divers that found the deep diving off Brac to be really great, but they had to have their equipment and tanks shipped over from Grand Cayman, so currently this would only be a rare and expensive option.

Cayman Brac Invasion

I like Cayman Brac and the CBBR just the way they are right now, and I'm in no hurry to see any changes, but I am aware that the economy of the island isn't great, so opportunities to increase the attraction for divers may be a good thing - we will just have to wait and see what happens. If the new services at Cobalt Coast on GC are popular, we may see some changes at the other Clearly Cayman resorts in the future.

Last edited:
I recently made my first visit to Cayman Brac. I knew nearly nothing about shore diving on the Brac before my visit and had arranged only boat diving. I missed one day of diving due to Tropical Storm Philippe so went exploring with one of CBBR's bikes. I stopped at Scuba Shack and picked up a great resource, Shore Diving Guide to Cayman Brac, published by the Sister Island Tourism Association. Twenty six shore diving sites are listed in the guide, along with directions to the site, a dive map, and helpful hints. A dive flag is required for shore diving. As it is not drift diving, it can be secured on a mooring buoy or elsewhere while you dive and retrieved on the way in. Shore diving cylinders and flags are available from Reef Divers at CBBR and from Scuba Shack. Scuba Shack offers guided shore dives. I did 4 of the listed shore dives by boat during my visit, Buccaneer Reef, Charlie's Reef, Grunt Valley, and Radar Reef. All of these dives were very nice shallow reef dives.

Just returned from our first trip to Cayman Brac, where we went shore diving twice a day: Spectacular shore diving, just spectacular! Healthy reefs, lots of stingrays and eagle rays, a few turtles, groupers, porcupine fish, and many colorful reef fish. (Also two octopi, but that was during a night snorkel around the pier). Most (but not all) of the two dozen sites described in the guide have easy entries via ladders, docks, or protected pools. At least three of them, at docks, had public bathrooms and cold outdoor showers. Thanks to the island’s friendly and law-abiding people, you can back your car up to the dock, leave your keys in the ignition, unload your gear, go diving, and return to find everything as you left it. I left some cash under the floor mat (around $10 or $20) to buy fresh fish or a snack after diving, and it was never disturbed, not even during night dives.

A few negatives: some boaters go too fast and one seemed to deliberately cut it close like he was trying to buzz us; also, it was a bit disconcerting to see fishermen harvesting the very creatures we're diving to see. As we were gearing up one time, a friendly small boy kept running up to report, "We got a squid! We got a parrot fish!" Okay, I know it's an important source of protein and part of the island economies. He told me they use squid for bait, and we saw only one alive during our entire week there. A local restaurant often advertised sea turtle on its daily specials chalkboard. Also, I never saw so many long-spined sea urchins. We rejected one site because the entry was both slippery and bristling with urchins. However, urchins are a sign of healthy reefs, and the reefs were, as I said, spectacular.

While it was a long swim out, diving the Keith Tibbetts wreck from shore after the dive boats left was wonderfully haunting and worth the extra effort. We also saw a shy goliath grouper and a large friendly hawksbill turtle there.

We will keep coming back. It's reasonably priced, easy to get there (from eastern U.S.), and hard to beat.

Posted by @Squ1dley:

Just returned from our first trip to Cayman Brac, where we went shore diving twice a day: Spectacular shore diving, just spectacular! Healthy reefs, lots of stingrays and eagle rays, a few turtles, groupers, porcupine fish, and many colorful reef fish. (Also two octopi, but that was during a night snorkel around the pier). Most (but not all) of the two dozen sites described in the guide have easy entries via ladders, docks, or protected pools. At least three of them, at docks, had public bathrooms and cold outdoor showers. Thanks to the island’s friendly and law-abiding people, you can back your car up to the dock, leave your keys in the ignition, unload your gear, go diving, and return to find everything as you left it. I left some cash under the floor mat (around $10 or $20) to buy fresh fish or a snack after diving, and it was never disturbed, not even during night dives.

A few negatives: some boaters go too fast and one seemed to deliberately cut it close like he was trying to buzz us; also, it was a bit disconcerting to see fishermen harvesting the very creatures we're diving to see. As we were gearing up one time, a friendly small boy kept running up to report, "We got a squid! We got a parrot fish!" Okay, I know it's an important source of protein and part of the island economies. He told me they use squid for bait, and we saw only one alive during our entire week there. A local restaurant often advertised sea turtle on its daily specials chalkboard. Also, I never saw so many long-spined sea urchins. We rejected one site because the entry was both slippery and bristling with urchins. However, urchins are a sign of healthy reefs, and the reefs were, as I said, spectacular.

While it was a long swim out, diving the Keith Tibbetts wreck from shore after the dive boats left was wonderfully haunting and worth the extra effort. We also saw a shy goliath grouper and a large friendly hawksbill turtle there.

We will keep coming back. It's reasonably priced, easy to get there (from eastern U.S.), and hard to beat.

Response from @KathyV:

It looks like the post by @Squ1dley got mixed into the original post in this thread by @scubadada. I think that I have separated out the info above. There's been some strange things going on SB lately, I have had some problems when replying or "liking" some posts!

Thanks for sharing your information @Squ1dley. Please tell us more about your trip, where did you stay and where did you get tanks? How much did it cost to rent tanks and weights? Did you display a dive flag/float while diving? Did you try any shops or restaurants or any non-dive activities, what were your opinions?

Last edited:
I'm new to Scuba Board and may not be preparing my postings correctly. At Brac Scuba Shack, they charged $10 per tank and weights were included. They made it clear they would charge a fee for any unreturned weights. We sometimes used a flag (which the shop also loaned us at no charge) depending on the situation. The "buzzing" incident I described took place while we were doing a surface swim out to the Keith Tibbetts wreck with the flag.

Response from @KathyV:

It looks like the post by @Squ1dley got mixed into the original post in this thread by @scubadada. I think that I have separated out the info above. There's been some strange things going on SB lately, I have had some problems when replying or "liking" some posts!

Thanks for sharing your information @Squ1dley. Please tell us more about your trip, where did you stay and where did you get tanks? How much did it cost to rent tanks and weights? Did you display a dive flag/float while diving? Did you try any shops or restaurants or any non-dive activities, what were your opinions?[/QUOTE]

I'm new to Scuba Board and may not be preparing my postings correctly. At Brac Scuba Shack, they charged $10 per tank and weights were included. They made it clear they would charge a fee for any unreturned weights. We sometimes used a flag (which the shop also loaned us at no charge) depending on the situation. The "buzzing" incident I described took place while we were doing a surface swim out to the Keith Tibbetts wreck with the flag.

Thanks, don't worry about it, posting on SB has been a little temperamental lately! Below is the link to @Squ1dley's post in the TA travel forum:

Our shopping advice for food and drink - Cayman Brac Forum - TripAdvisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom