Shore entry without fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I typically don my fins past the surf line, however due to sports injury of my right knee causing limited mobility; in rough surf or surge I will typically don my right fin on shore then do a side walk into the water and don my left fin past the surf line.

But that said, you definitely get "Rule 6" points. A very cool-looking modification, obviously done right. :)

What spring heels are those?

Thanks for the props. My own design and assembly; SS parts from McMaster and webbing from Strapworks.

BTW, what's "Rule 6":confused:

"Rule 6" is a joke amongst some divers - particularly those involved with GUE. Rule 6 says that "You must look good while doing it."

For example, showing up to the dive site in a new truck and wearing a sexy new drysuit and speeding around on a new X-scooter could be called "Rule 6 compliant." Doing the same but floating up feet first because you've never dived a drysuit before could be called a "Rule 6 violation." :)

"Rule 6" was borne of GUE/DIR, but truly hardcore divers might even use the term humorously outside of diving... For example, walking headfirst into a closed glass door could be called "Rule 6 noncompliant," and looking suave on a Saturday night while hanging out with the guys might be called "Rule 6 supercompliance."

For years, when asked why they dove with stainless steel D-rings and stainless steel bolt snaps rather than the cheaper but uglier brass alternatives, DIR guys would simply say, "Brass is a Rule 6 viloation." :) It was a joke, caught by those who understood what "Rule 6" was.

The really funny part is that this implies that there's also Rule 1-5, and that there may even be more than just six rules. The truth was that there WERE no "rules" - it was made up to be funny. It could have easily been "Rule 42" or "Rule 18" as well.

Later, "Rule #1" was born, which was "Don't dive with [divers that have unsafe attitudes]," but "Rule #1" was never actually associated with "Rule 6." :)

By saying that your fins are "Rule 6 compliant," I'm saying (I guess in my own geeky, "groupspeak" kind of way) that they're very cool looking.

Nicely done! Did you put a cable or line through the center of the spring?

My local dive site has a pretty mellow surf zone that I see a lot of people walk through, then don their fins in the water. I asked my instructor about it and he said that it's often easier as long as you have some way of clipping your fins to you so that you don't lose them if something does happen. However, I notice he uses suicide clips when he clips his fins to his harness, which the internet is convincing me will lead to a very short SCUBA career. What's the preferred method?

You've had a lot of good answers.

99% of my lifetime dives have been shore dives. My basic procedure is:

Fins slipped over left wrist using strap like a bracelet (or hold them if the are full foot); walk out carefully watching the waves (you did study the surf for awhile while gearing up, right?); as soon as it deep enough (usually chest deep) put on fins quickly and swim, and enjoy the dive; reverse the process on exit.

There some sites here where fins go on before entering the water, then you just jump/fall in and duck dive under small waves.

If waves are too big to safely walk through fin-less, then it may be a good day to mow the lawn :D

Best wishes.

You've had a lot of good answers.

99% of my lifetime dives have been shore dives. My basic procedure is:

Fins slipped over left wrist using strap like a bracelet (or hold them if the are full foot); walk out carefully watching the waves (you did study the surf for awhile while gearing up, right?); as soon as it deep enough (usually chest deep) put on fins quickly and swim, and enjoy the dive; reverse the process on exit.

There some sites here where fins go on before entering the water, then you just jump/fall in and duck dive under small waves.

If waves are too big to safely walk through fin-less, then it may be a good day to mow the lawn :D

Best wishes.

If you have trouble balancing yourself, a modification of this is to put the reg in mouth, face in water, and floating or semifloating put the fins on quickly and swim out.

Adam

1st - Spring straps! You can find good inexpensive ones from Innovative:
Innovative Spring Straps

2nd - You've gotta take each site's entry type (sand/rocks/cliff/boat/etc) AND the current conditions into account as to how you don your fins. I may or may not wear my mask or have the reg in my mouth. For the most part the reg is hanging and the mask is around my neck. As for fins:
a. If calm and no extra gear and good buddy or solo - I hand carry them into waist deep then don (BC inflated).
b. If rougher surf OR teaching OR carrying extra gear (camera/dpv/etc) I use a Cetacea fin holder strap. But I still don in the water.
Cetacea Fin Holder
This strap has a plastic clip which has yet to bust under normal use, but I'm confident if in a situation where the fin(s) were a safety issue the buckle could be snapped off for quick escape. But that's my comfort level, yours may vary. This holder is also handy when just walking to/from my vehicle or gear-up point.
c. Occasionally I will don fins first: when jumping off rocky entry into "pool" where I feel I need to swim out fast or most boat entries - pretty much limited to where I would do a giant stride entry.

3rd - If I ever feel I need to don fins first for a beach or shore entry due to conditions, then most likely it's not worth diving (for me). I believe calling a dive is best if in question - live to dive another day.

Your best practices may vary.

Did those flip up fins get any traction?
I sure like them and they do indeed work pretty well unless the shore sand is really soft.

Rule 6 says that "You must look good while doing it."
Screw rule 6. My rule, it they work for me I'm going to use them. I don't care if I do look like a hockey goalie going in or out, particularly when I walk up to the guy and hand him the fin he just lost.:rofl3:

Sure did. I used #18 instead of #24, with 150 lbs. of tensile strength and 275 lbs. test I thought it sufficient.

They sound awesome. :)

Screw rule 6. My rule, it they work for me I'm going to use them. I don't care if I do look like a hockey goalie going in or out, particularly when I walk up to the guy and hand him the fin he just lost.:rofl3:

:D

I dunno - looking like a hockey goalie might actually be Rule 6 compliant. :) Depends. Would have to see it. :)

I agree that "Rule 6" is pretty silly - but that's the point of it. :)

The real question is, though... If you're donning in low-viz water, how do you ensure that your left fin goes on your left foot, and your right fin goes on your right? :D

Easy. Red goes on the left and yellow goes on the right.

HTatUnderwaterIsland.jpg

Back
Top Bottom