Shore entry without fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructors taught me to wear fins on shore entry so I can just swim out if I get knocked down. My experience is pretty limited though -- I haven't been knocked down yet (but I'm sure I will).
@aquaregia: I am not familiar with your local conditions. Perhaps there's a steep slope at the water's edge like at Monastery Beach in Monterey, CA. If so, then it makes perfect sense to put your fins on and back shuffle into the water.

That same type of entry might be advisable at certain shore dive sites here in San Diego. However, if you tried to do that on a typical day at Scripps Canyon or La Jolla Shores, someone might let you know that there's a better way to do it.

As with many things in diving, where/when you don/doff your fins is situation-dependent.

Last edited:
Wear your fins like bracelets until you're ready to don them. Reverse the process when you get out of the water.

Works for every entry, all the time, and still leaves your hands free. That way, you don't have to re-learn a different method for every entry, and you have just one skill to master with regards to donning/doffing fins.

It's especially great on a pitching boat - if you doff and wear them like bracelets before boarding and slip and fall back into the water, you've still got your fins with you. :) Meanwhile, your hands are free for climbing the ladder.

Spring heels here, too. :)

The real question is, though... If you're donning in low-viz water, how do you ensure that your left fin goes on your left foot, and your right fin goes on your right? :D

Modify your spring straps to allow clipping with a double ender and you can use one of those to clip your fins to your waist or shoulder D-ring until your chest deep in the water.

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 53
Oh, there was one other point about shore / surf entry -- I knew I forgot something:

When you transit from the shore to the surf, make sure you do it with your reg (not your snorkel) in your mouth. That way if you trip or get knocked over, you have air in your mouth ready to go. It can take you a few seconds to stand up, and if you're face down you'll want to have time to figure out how to stand up.

Trust me on this. It happened to, uh, another guy.

Modify your spring straps to allow clipping with a double ender and you can use one of those to clip your fins to your waist or shoulder D-ring until your chest deep in the water.

I don't see the point (seems like wearing them like bracelets is simpler, just as effective, even less prone to issues, and requires no additional gear like modification or an extra double ender hanging around)...

But that said, you definitely get "Rule 6" points. A very cool-looking modification, obviously done right. :)

What spring heels are those?

Last edited:
I carry mine for beach entries, if it's a little rough or I'm carrying something I just put my arm through the loop (I've got springs) - no way of dropping them then. If I'm jumping of rocks I prefer to have them on since it's much easier to get out clear of the surf. When the surf it breaking over the rocks it's probably better not to enter at all but when I've been silly enough to do this I carries my fins and swim out to calmer water.

Wear your fins like bracelets until you're ready to don them. Reverse the process when you get out of the water.

Works for every entry, all the time, and still leaves your hands free. That way, you don't have to re-learn a different method for every entry, and you have just one skill to master with regards to donning/doffing fins.

It's especially great on a pitching boat - if you doff and wear them like bracelets before boarding and slip and fall back into the water, you've still got your fins with you. :) Meanwhile, your hands are free for climbing the ladder.

Spring heels here, too. :)
Yup, this is my preferred method as well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The real question is, though... If you're donning in low-viz water, how do you ensure that your left fin goes on your left foot, and your right fin goes on your right? :D

That's why I buy two pairs and only take along the left fins on a dive, that way I am guaranteed to get one of them right. :D

@aquaregia: I am not familiar with your local conditions. Perhaps there's a steep slope at the water's edge like at Monastery Beach in Monterey, CA.

Yeah, that's my local conditions :) Although I only even look at Monastery when I have experienced friends around. I have a [-]deathly fear of[/-] healthy respect for that place. So far I usually stick to Breakwater and Lovers.

Back
Top Bottom