Short Cairns (& Sydney) Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh. Interesting. Every single time I've ever been out to the GBR either on a day trip or liveaboard the boat has said the GBR marine park had a no gloves policy...

Who knows?

My suit had gloves attached as well. Seems to be universal. to be honest, I'd never rented a suit like that before...

Huh. Interesting. Every single time I've ever been out to the GBR either on a day trip or liveaboard the boat has said the GBR marine park had a no gloves policy...

Who knows?

There is no way there is a NO gloves policy or rule or law in the GBR. The operator was BSing you.

I wasn't going to bother posting in this thread, but thre seem to be a lot of inaccuracies being pu tup here, so hopfeully I can help clear som eup.

First off Outer Reef is the Reef area that makes up the barrier between the shelf and the slope and is teh outer most reef from teh coast. It is NOT teh Ribbon Reef whihc is totally different and refersto teh (literally0 elongated ribbon shaped reef structures that run from around Vooktown to teh tip of Cape York. Its considered the better diving because of its diversity, depth adn location. Further norht older and richas teh ref.

Port Douglas adn Cairns haev outer Reef lcoatiosn like Noram, Saxon etc.Port actually could boast that it has part of teh Ribbon Reef system with Agincourt Reef.

Now teh gloves part. Sigh...This is not law but just a storng recomendation adn considered "law amonsgt operators". Same as trying ot stop peiple smothering there hands with sunscreen. We dont want you touching teh coral or animals as sunscreen adn peoplewith gloves hands can ruin teh delacte coral. Bare skin can get cut when you grab teh coral, so prohibits people doin git. Nothing to stop idiots grabbing coral tohang onto if they have gloves.
I wasn't going to bother posting in this thread, but there seem to be a lot of inaccuracies being pu tup here, so hopefully I can help clear some up.

First off Outer Reef is the Reef area that makes up the barrier between the shelf and the slope and is the outer most Reef from the coast. It is NOT the Ribbon Reef which is totally different and refers to the (literally) elongated ribbon shaped reef structures that run from around Cooktown to the tip of Cape York. It’s considered the better diving because of its diversity, depth and location. Further north, older and richer the Reef gets.

Port Douglas and Cairns have outer Reef locations like Norman, Saxon etc. Port actually could boast that it has part of the Ribbon Reef system with Agincourt Reef. However, it’s arguable. Look on any Marine map or google GBRMPA (Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority) Ribbon Reef #1 is just SE of Cooktown.

Now the gloves part. Sigh...This is not law but just a strong recommendation and considered "law amongst operators". Same as trying to stop people smothering their hands with sunscreen. We don’t want you touching the coral or animals as sunscreen, and people with gloved hands, can ruin the delicate coral. Bare skin can get cut when you grab the coral, so prohibits people doing it. Nothing to stop idiots grabbing coral to hang onto if they have gloves.

Anyway, that’s my 10c worth.

Great review too by the way :)

Anyway, thats my 10c worth

I wasn't going to bother posting in this thread, but thre seem to be a lot of inaccuracies being pu tup here, so hopfeully I can help clear som eup.

First off Outer Reef is the Reef area that makes up the barrier between the shelf and the slope and is teh outer most reef from teh coast. It is NOT teh Ribbon Reef whihc is totally different and refersto teh (literally0 elongated ribbon shaped reef structures that run from around Vooktown to teh tip of Cape York. Its considered the better diving because of its diversity, depth adn location. Further norht older and richas teh ref.

Port Douglas adn Cairns haev outer Reef lcoatiosn like Noram, Saxon etc.Port actually could boast that it has part of teh Ribbon Reef system with Agincourt Reef.

Now teh gloves part. Sigh...This is not law but just a storng recomendation adn considered "law amonsgt operators". Same as trying ot stop peiple smothering there hands with sunscreen. We dont want you touching teh coral or animals as sunscreen adn peoplewith gloves hands can ruin teh delacte coral. Bare skin can get cut when you grab teh coral, so prohibits people doin git. Nothing to stop idiots grabbing coral tohang onto if they have gloves.
I wasn't going to bother posting in this thread, but there seem to be a lot of inaccuracies being pu tup here, so hopefully I can help clear some up.

First off Outer Reef is the Reef area that makes up the barrier between the shelf and the slope and is the outer most Reef from the coast. It is NOT the Ribbon Reef which is totally different and refers to the (literally) elongated ribbon shaped reef structures that run from around Cooktown to the tip of Cape York. It’s considered the better diving because of its diversity, depth and location. Further north, older and richer the Reef gets.

Port Douglas and Cairns have outer Reef locations like Norman, Saxon etc. Port actually could boast that it has part of the Ribbon Reef system with Agincourt Reef. However, it’s arguable. Look on any Marine map or google GBRMPA (Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority) Ribbon Reef #1 is just SE of Cooktown.

Now the gloves part. Sigh...This is not law but just a strong recommendation and considered "law amongst operators". Same as trying to stop people smothering their hands with sunscreen. We don’t want you touching the coral or animals as sunscreen, and people with gloved hands, can ruin the delicate coral. Bare skin can get cut when you grab the coral, so prohibits people doing it. Nothing to stop idiots grabbing coral to hang onto if they have gloves.

Anyway, that’s my 10c worth.

Great review too by the way :)

Anyway, thats my 10c worth

So you recommend people wear the stinger suits but remove their hands from the protective suit so their exposed hands will keep them from touching the corals but risk getting hit by jellies?

Hey tajkd - nice to see someone else who has dived on the Reef Encounter. I did it not long after I got my OW (yep - another of those newbie divers on the boat) and I highly recommend it - but only for beginner divers.

Firstly, it's amazingly cheap compared to many other liveaboards and, like you said, the accommodation and catering is excellent - certainly the best I've encountered on liveaboards so far. Plus the flexibility around the water sessions and guided or unguided really gives you a sense of choice and freedom.

The dives are shallow and marine life is mostly tropical fish and reef sharks. I also saw some barracuda and there were always great trevally around on the night dives, but you're right that there is a dearth of pelagics. For experienced divers looking for big sharks, mantas, etc, this is not a great trip. But for beginner divers where even the most common underwater attractions are still new and amazing, this is a great dive operator in a good location for a very pleasing price.

Here's a small snippet of video from that trip, demonstrating some of the things people might see. Apologies for the cheesy sound track at the end - it was the first time I had seen a shark and I was overly excited. I also didn't know what a triggerfish was at the time, haha!
[video=youtube;T3U0cDKp69Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3U0cDKp69Q[/video]

Reactions: MA
So you recommend people wear the stinger suits but remove their hands from the protective suit so their exposed hands will keep them from touching the corals but risk getting hit by jellies?

Not really. Stingers away from the coast line are rare. They typically stay up river mouths in the colder seasons and asexually reproduce. When the temperature is right and we get the rains they release from the rocks and float down the coast to sexually reproduce, so are far more common on the beaches and islands close to the cost. Rare, but not guaranteed, to be at the Outer Reef. I have witnessed a few stings working out there but I could count the number on one hand and I have been here for 25 years. Many more around the beaches and islands though.

Protection is always important, but if you wear gloves be responsible and don't use them as an excuse to grab coral. Crap divers need to hang on for stability. If you need to grab the coral go do the Peak Performance Buoyancy course or get your buoyancy right before stuffing up our lively hood. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing snorkelers standing on coral or divers grabbing it.

Anyway, this is a trip review thread, and getting off topic. Maybe this could be another thread if it really needs to be continued. Stinger season is nearly over now (Oct to May).:D

Last edited:
Not really. Stingers away from the coast line are rare. They typically stay up river mouths in the colder seasons and asexually reproduce. When the temperature is right and we get teh rains they release from the rocks and float down the coast to asexually reproduce, so are far more common on the beaches and islands close to the cost. Rare, but not guaranteed, to be at the Outer Reef. I have witnessed a few stings working out there but I could count the number on one hand and I have been here for 25 years. Many more around the beaches and islands though.

Protection is always important, but if you wear gloves be responsible and don't use them as an excuse to grab coral. Crap divers need to hang on for stability. If you need to grab the coral go do the Peak Performance Buoyancy course or get your buoyancy right before stuffing up our lively hood. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing snorkelers standing on coral or divers grabbing it.

Anyway, this is a trip review thread, and getting off topic. Maybe this could be another thread if it really needs to be continued. Stinger season is nearly over now (Oct to May).:D

Related though in the end. This is also partially why the reefs up north are in better shape. Far fewer tourists, and those that do go tend to be more experienced and more in control of their buoyancy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom