Short fins for Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a volunteer diver at a local aquarium. The tanks are very confined and my jets are overkill. Can anyone recommend short blade, open heel fins for use with booties?

I'm looking for something less expensive, say 100 bucks or less.

well there are the "US DIVERS TREK3 FINS"....theyre very short but they provide you with a speed of about 5.25kmph and they cost about 40$ (maybe less).
but theres an article about travel fins in divernet and some of them are very cheap and light/small:
Travelling Light - Divernet

i used to dive for ripleys aquarium and we used avantiquattro mares, those are really big powerful fins, we just compensated by working on kickstrokes, and traveling with a combination of inertia from less cramped areas, breath control minor bouyancy adjustments, and turns made my altering bodyposture/shape. Sounds odd enough but just visualizing where you want to go can go a long way for movin like a barracuda... not swimming... just kinda going there haha

APS Mantaray Fins --I have a dozen sets of fins in my storage area. These days, they are all hanging there unused since I started diving with the Mantarays. They are short, but extremely powerful with outstanding control.

I highly recommend them. When I loaned them to a local dive shop owner, he became an APS Mantaray dealer. When a buddy of mine tried them, he ordered a pair a few days later.

This is their website: APS Mantaray Home Page

If you do a Goodle search, you an find them on various other sites for under a hundred bucks.

Here's a link to the review I wrote about these fins: AtomicPirate WE COME FOR THE BOOTY

I use the black ones, which are a bit stiffer --and would probably do you very well in the aquarium.

Did I mention, I love these fins?

Jeff

The trek3's look very much like what I am looking for. I thought about chopping a pair of used fins up, but the aquarium is very particular about your appearance when putting on a show for the public and might have a problem with hacked up fins. The APS Mantarays are very interesting too, I will do some more reading and maybe try out a pair in open water. Thanks.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom