Short Plus Sized Woman Needs BC Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

revjkls

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a short, plus sized woman and I am wondering if anyone out there can offer me some advice about a BC. I have been rending an aqualung, integrated weight M/L from my local dive shop. Being overweight, I have also needed to use a cummerbund extension beneath the release by the abdomen. I am getting tired of rental costs and would like to purchase a basic weight integrated bc and my eyes are starting to roll to the back of my head with my internet research. The Aqualung model I have been using feels a a bit bulky, I would like to consider other options, but I do not have a clue as to what might be out there as a better a choice. Being short does not help me, either.

While I have a history of exercising, I have never done physical activity for fun except swimming and now scuba. The love for scuba is giving me good motivation to work hard at weight loss and fitness. I respect my limits and dive conservatively and I am in the water as much as I can be to develop my skills.

Is there anyone out there who can provide some wisdom? :banghead:

While my wife isn't short, she is plus-sized. She started out with a rental BC, which had a problem with being too long for her torso because it was designed more for a man of the same girth.

She didn't think women's BC's would come large enough for her. Before our trip to Fiji, though, our LDS was having a big sale. I encouraged her to look at the actual sie charts, and to try on one of the women's BC's. She positively fell in love with the Aqualung Diva, which fits her wonderfully, and has the built-in lycra "bra" (much more comfortable across the bust than the straps of a man's BC), and has a lot of nice features.

If you have more than one dive shop in your area, particularly in they tend to carry different product lines, I encourage you to visit them and try on different BC's. You may find that one make/size fits beautifully, and even if it costs a bit more than other models, you'll find that it's worth it.

I see that you are looking for a weight-integrated BC, so my comments don't exactly apply, but since I had so much trouble finding something that fit, I thought I would pipe in (even though I did not end up with what you are looking for). At least perhaps it will give you another option if you don't find a weight-integrated one you like.

I couldn't find a BC to fit me, even after trying a half dozen or more women's models. I'm not large on top but I'm very short waisted, and so I had two problems:

1) Because the bottom of the cummerbund would end up at my waist (seeking narrowest area), and because the cummerbunds were so "tall," the BC would naturally sit very high and the shoulders would be up around my ears instead of on my shoulders. This was uncomfortable and the tank would end up being "shifty."

2) Also because of being short waisted, I ended up with too much puffy fabric bulk around my front and along my sides under my arms, and I felt like the Michelin Tire Woman. The back inflate BCs were better, but still had a lot of large pockets and tall cummerbunds (the ones I tried on anyway - I did not try on every one in existence so there may be some that fit - see my note on Zeagle below).

I ended up going with a backplate and wing setup, and I love it. It's very comfortable for me, there is not a lot of extra fabric and whatnot bunched up in front of me and under my armpits, the waistband is narrow, and the crotch strap keeps the whole thing from riding up (I have hips, so nothing is going downwards, but it can all ride up). It's also very adjustable if your size or shape changes. I'm also pre-disposed to like the basic/spartan/functional modularity of it, which you may not be.

What I did was rent one on my first dive trip last winter (from Silent World in Key Largo, FL). Once I knew I liked it -- and before going on my second dive trip a couple of weeks ago -- I ordered my own. Boy, what a joy it is to have my own BC that fits, and that is adjusted the same every time (unless I change it). No matter what you end up with, I bet you are going to love having your own gear. I knew that rental gear was wearing on me, but I was amazed at how much stress dropped away once I had my own gear.

Because I had only dived twice after being (quickly) OW certified in 2005, I took another OW class along with my new-to-diving dive buddy last December. I wore the rented backplate and wing. I mention that because in the class I went through the doff-and-don a number of times. That particular backplate had the one piece, only-one-buckle-at-the-waist harness, and I wondered how that would work. It was fine. In fact, it seemed almost easier because it was so straightforward and the webbing is stiff enough and arranged in such a way that it kind of holds its shape when you remove it. Prior to that if I had ordered I probably would have gotten one of the more "deluxe" harnesses with more buckles, but based on that experience I got the basic one. I'm not super flexible and have had a couple of shoulder injuries in the past, but of course the more buckle-ful harness might be better -- just depending on the person.

The plate looks very industrial and "bare metal-ish" and like it would be very uncomfortable, but I have not found it so. Last winter I wore a 3mm wetsuit, but on this last trip I wore only a Lycra dive skin, and I did not notice any discomfort.

In summary, I don't know how your shape compares to mine, and or if what works for me would work for you, or if you would even like it -- but I was very happy to find that the backplate and wing fit me. Finally! So I thought I would mention it as an option and tell you a little bit about my experience.

Blue Sparkle

PS: In the more "vest" type of BCs, I understand that Zeagle makes quite a few that are sized more for women. My dive buddy (male) bought a new Zeagle BC before this trip and the fit and finish were quite good - including that you could "permanently" adjust the cummerbund in and out by moving some screw-like fasteners, which customized the basic size (in addition to having quick adjustments for everyday use). His is a Zeagle Stilleto. I also saw a Zeagle Zena (IIRC) that another woman on the dive boat had, and she was happy with the fit (although she was more the long-waisted and thinnish type).

For people who are well outside the standard size charts in ANY direction, I think the backplate and continuous harness is the way to go. Although it takes a little futzing with it to get it perfectly adjusted in the beginning, once it is right, you don't ever adjust it again. And all three dimensions -- shoulders, waist and crotch strap -- are infinitely adjustable.

Yes, you will need either a weight belt or a weight harness (unless your needs are so minimal that you can use pockets on the waistband). But that's a small price to pay for a BC that really fits.

One of my favorite dive buddies is 4'9" and about a dress size 18. She wears a standard medium Zeagle Ranger. I think it really depends on how you are built and you just need to try a bunch on. I dive a Zeagle, and I needed a smaller shoulder than torso and was able to customize it like that. But I suspect that TS and M is right, a BP/W set up might work best.

Great advice above. I own both OMS bp/wings (a black one for singles and a red one for doubles) and an SeaQuest Diva. They are all excellent for me, but I dive the Diva about 90% of the time (and love it). Divas are no longer produced, though, having been replaced by the Aqualung Pearl. I've had three female students purchase the Pearl and have been very happy with their decision. One of these women is shaped much as the OP is, and the Pearl doesn't ride up on her in the same way that my "unisex" ScubaPro rental BCDs did (yes, they are designed primarily to fit men). If having integrated weights is not a dealbreaker, do try out a bp/w system, at least for comparison, as Blue Sparkle did.

Last edited:
... and the Pearl doesn't ride up on her in the same way that my "unisex" ScubaPro rental BCDs did (yes, they are designed primarily to fit men).

Don't you occasionally wish that "Unisex" actually meant women's sizes, but just "scaled up" for men.:rofl2: I bet they would disappear from the market rather quickly!

A Zeagle system is fully and easily self adjustable inwards as you attain your goals.
And quite simple to struggle in and out of.
And comfy.

The Oceanic Hera has a highly adjustable shoulder harness. Besides the regular d-ring adjustment, it has screws & grommets that can also adjusted for further shortening or lengthening. The BC is well padded. It is weight integrated. The only minus to it is, because of the padding It is a bit bulkier & heavier than a lot of BC's. I have one & it is most comfortable.

This reminds me of my OW class in which there was a rolly-polly woman, about five foot tall and 200+ pounds, and a male midget (dwarf, little person or whatever) taking the lessons. The female had had a custom wetsuit and the little guy wore swimming trunks in the pool. They both were using AL67's if I remember correctly.When we hit the pool the female constantly rotated and couldn't stop herself and the little guy kept going around in circles. It was hillarious. You can actually laugh your --- off under water. The kicker is that they both ended up getting certified after they figured out what was up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom