Short Video from Maldives (HC-7)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a nice little holiday in the Maldives. Only did 6 or so dives as we weren't in the prime Maldives diving area (North Male Atoll). Nice resort though... :D

Bit rusty haven't not used the HC-7 underwater since Aug. Was trying a new gorillapod tripod but as the dives were all pretty much drift dives along walls, didn't have any chances to find uses for the tripod... Setup was a Sony HC-7, Gates housing, Fathoms WP25 WA Port, & 2x24W Salvo HID's.

This time, I've edited using Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 and I must say I think I like it more than than Premiere Pro 2. At least Vegas allowed me to encode directly to a divx avi file (although stage6 didn't seem to like it even though it will play in the standalone divx player. Had to rerun it through Dr. Divx in order to upload it)

Video is available at stage6.com. For those not familiar with the site, you'll be asked to install a divx player, cookies (harmless), etc...

Enjoy.

Maldives Short Video Dec 2007

Thanks Doc, I'm using 2x Salvo 24W HID's with video reflectors on them connected via e/o wet connect cables to my old 9amp NIMH battery. Looks like Salvo's video light lineup is now 21W/35W/50W. Barry did try to temp me with the 35W heads, but I wanted the extra burn time since I don't have the Lion battery.

Very nice. We are awaiting delivery of our HC7/Gates setup. What video editing software are you all using? We had a basic Canon camcorder that I used Pinnacle Studio for downloading and editing.

Martin, I had been a Premiere Pro user in the past, but for this video I've given the Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 (trial) a go and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with Vegas Pro. I think I might consider switching over to Vegas. Premiere has a great user interface, but the encoder is a bit lacking and downconverting in Premiere Pro to DVD was horrible quality wise. I never found a proper workflow for that.

This is extraordinarily nice video, and beautifully edited. The pace of the individual clips is perfect, and the music compliments the video superbly. I love the squeaking sounds when the anemonefish are charging the camera!

The best segment is the one shot inside the school of small fish. That's unique.

Thank you for putting this up. I really enjoyed it, and these days, most open water video isn't grabbing me (I like caves :) ).

The best segment is the one shot inside the school of small fish. That's unique.

Thanks Lynn. Yes actually that was one of my most bizarre experiences diving. I guess they were attracted to my lights or the plankton I was lighting up, but I was literally swarmed by that baitball. I wish the housing could capture u/w sound better but those little suckers were smacking into me for half the dive - "thud" "thud" "thud"! I was just waiting for one of the big dogstooth tuna we had seen earlier in the day come crashing into me... Was fun to see the red garupas making a meal out of my predicament. My dive buddy was just laughing his arse off as after awhile, the novelty got old and they were just getting in my way on other shots.

Nice video. What light arms did you settle on ?

I use single ULCS type arms (Inon M arms to be exact) with some floats on them.

Excellent Video. So wish I was able to visit the Maldives on my India business trip last year. Ended up doing two dives out of Goa - which serioulsy pales in comparison (but at least I got wet!) The Soft Coral looks really healthy there!

Seems like a majority of your shots, even wide shots, are taken using your lights? I've really only been able to use my 20w lights (10w HID x 2) for close-up and macro shots. Your 24w system must really pump out some light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom