Shortest Shutter Lag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Hey Hey, I am not a expert on camera. But, I mean the lag between the shots no matter what you call it a shutter lag or a focus lag. It is annoying, sepcailly for the quick movement, specially in a sport game.

I just bought a Nikon D2X - no shutter lag. Then again it won't be seeing water anytime soon either.

ReyeR:
Also remember that published shutter / focus lag times are mostly under ideal lighting conditions. In low light most of them will still 'hunt'. I remember I did comparisons in low light between a C5050, C5060 and C8080 and TBH the improvement was too little to actually make a difference when applied to actual photography. Also look out for times published for tests for full-wide non-macro shots as they will be different for full-tele macro work.

Totally agree with ReyeR here. UW photography really challenges those PnS camera ability to focus to the max without those assisting focus light. You get low light condition usually with relatively low contrast to start of with. Those published stats really does not tell how well the camera is going to act underwater.
Also shooting macro at higher zoom power will also affect the camera's ability to focus quickly.

Focus light certainly will help, but also at the risk of driving all the skitish critters away.

Canon D60 AF is surprisingly fast on land, even better than Nikon D70 (considering that it is actually quite a bit older than D70) but when you take it underwater, it is a different story.

OE2X is right about D2X up to a certain point but try 105mm with 2x teleconverter or 70-180mm macro with 6T diopter, no shutter lag but the camera would still sometimes hunt a bit.
Only if the rest of macro lenses will focus as fast as the 60mm macro :( my life would be so much easier!

hoosier:
Hey Hey Hey, I am not a expert on camera. But, I mean the lag between the shots no matter what you call it a shutter lag or a focus lag. It is annoying, sepcailly for the quick movement, specially in a sport game.

gives one *SOME* options. If the shutter lag was truely .5 seconds for example no amount of skill could change that. Understanding that focus lag is really the issue opens some doors... of course those doors are NOT open very wide :banghead:

If/when I live some where that I have opportunity to shoot UW with some hope to achieve more than images of Carp or Crawdads in murky water, I'd spring for the D70 and the UW housing. For now I'll be trying out my S70 without an external strobe UW in FL for the first time in a couple weeks. I'm very prepared for my images to absolutely stink!!! :11: But like many others who haul large amounts of gear about and love photography (or do it professionally) I look at this as a vacation!!

I figure if I really want some awesome UW photography, there is no shortage of talented people shooting UW on a regular basis that will be more than happy to sell me some of there work :wink: In fact, I'm guessing I could find more than a few on this board!

RonFrank:
I figure if I really want some awesome UW photography, there is no shortage of talented people shooting UW on a regular basis that will be more than happy to sell me some of there work :wink: In fact, I'm guessing I could find more than a few on this board!

Send me a shot list Ron, i'll gladly take lots and lots of your money :eyebrow:
Then i can take that D2X out of OE2X's hands and get it wet for him (in a case of housing of course...):11:
Guess that means you have to buy A LOT of images

Mike Veitch:
Send me a shot list Ron, i'll gladly take lots and lots of your money :eyebrow:
Then i can take that D2X out of OE2X's hands and get it wet for him (in a case of housing of course...):11:
Guess that means you have to buy A LOT of images

I want a shot of a manta riding a whaleshark. Do you have any of those shots handy? :D

RonFrank:
For now I'll be trying out my S70 without an external strobe UW in FL for the first time in a couple weeks. I'm very prepared for my images to absolutely stink!!!

Actually don't knock yourself *yet*. You'll get a lot of fall out, I found my bad pics were specifically due to not understanding the shutter lag and pre-focus flash. My Oly 5050 gives a flash for focus and then boom does the real thing. That's fine, but the pre-focus flash shows up as a great pic on the LCD and then I moved the camera blurring the actual shot! As someone told me once - shoot until your shutter finger bleeds, and then shoot some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom