Should a BP/W be my first BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, the lovely BP/W versus BC debate. What great fun.

If you listen to BP/W people, one would question why the
BC is made (other than for profit of the big companies).

While the BC people talk about BC's as if all of them are the same.

I have both, actually like both, but for different reasons.

A couple of important considerations regarding BP/W - if you change weighting, you will have to change both distribution to have good trim and good surface position. This can be due to chnanging wet suits or changing tanks. Not the easiest if conditions change a lot. Regardless of what some will say, it is fairly easy to be thrown face first on the surface, if weighted incorrectly. It is also possible to be thrown backward, which is not always that comfortable. Trim can be a similar issue.

Yes, there are a fair number of people that have every possible combination worked out, but this takes some work and time and is not a lot of fun. Likewise, there are people that only dive with one or two configurations and don't have an issue. Your decision.

A good Back inflate BC has most of the qualities of a good BP/W, but is much easier to adjust, so if one is going to travel, it is most likely the best middle of the road solution.

Doing beach entries? BC or one of the deluxe BP/W's.

Warm water? BC

Dry suit? BP/W

As there are hundreds of options and some involve personal choices, make the one you think is best and then learn to live with the choice for a while.

Whichever you decide, also spend a little time learning the safety issues and how they are different. Weight belts, for example, always need to come off first when exiting with equipment removal to a boat. Integrated weights removal may make it easier for the person picking up the gear, but are not a safety concern.

rapidiver:
or Both!

Grab a sweet Zeagle Stilleto with Back Inflate: ZEAGLE STILLETO at DIVERS DIRECT and convert it to a BP/W when you want:ZEAGLE BP/W CONVERSION KIT! It's the best of both worlds!

Rapid,

Many of the Zeagle products are so close to a BP/W, there is not much difference. As you know, their line has really blurred the defintion, going in steps all the way from BC to simple BP/W, and everything inbetween.

Nice, but makes deciding which to go with even more confusing.

The things I like about my Cressi-Sub BC:
I learned with a jacket-style BC.
It's comfortable for the diving I do.
It fits me well.

The things I don't like about it:
It sometimes feels like I have too much fabric around me.
It takes quite awhile to dry.
Not enough D-rings, or not located where I want them.
What you see is what you get: There are no customizable options.
With the integrated weights, the pockets are practically useless.
The tank strap feels too short, and I've had problems with the velcro strap letting go during a giant stride, or noticed the tank slipping around during a dive.

The things I like about my back inflate:
It dries quickly
I feel like I have more freedom in my shoulders, arms and chest.
I feel like my trim is naturally better because of the back inflate.
It's customizable. I can put D-rings wherever I want them, and it will grow with me, no matter what kind of diving I eventually do.
Generous pockets, even if I take up some of the space with weights.
Steel cam-straps. Even when assembled dry, the tank isn't going to slip out or move.

Things I don't like about the back-inflate:
The crotch-strap is just one more thing that I have to adjust and fool around with, if I have to don/remove my BC underwater.
No shoulder-dump. I don't mind using the inflator hose for this, but that's one nice feature of my Cressi that I'd grown accustomed to using during descents.
It can be a pain to get all of the water out of the wing.

My two cents' worth.....

If you are unsure I would suggest renting gear for awhile and seeing which one you like the most and feels the best. I personally prefer my BP/W, but dove with a jacket-style bc the first 8 months or so. I had specific issues with the bc so I tried a few BP/W setups and haven't looked back. That isn't to say that you would be the same.

Bottom line is that if you want to spend your money wisely then rent and try a few of each and spend maybe 5-10 dives with each system to see which one suits you the best.

---Damselfish----
In your statement you say how vocal BP/W users are about their systems and how silent BC users are about theirs. Couldn't this be because the BC users aren't as happy with their systems as the BP/W users are about their systems? If I was soooo happy with my BC then I would speak up just the same. But, alas, I was not so I praise my BP/W, but try to give an equal side to each system as I did above.

One way to look at a bp/w setup is to think about the ability to customize or replace certain parts as they get worn out or are no longer useful. This is akin to building your own computer rather than dealing with a proprietary (sp?) system built by a manufacturer.

Not enough lift? Swap out the bladder.
Not enough D rings? Add some.
Want your BC to be weight integrated or need more pockets? Add the components.

The advantage of a BC is that right out of the box it is designed to be very good for a particular purpose. However, if your purpose changes or something isn't quite right, you may have to get an entirely new system. (Note, this probably doesnt apply to dive-rite or zeagle).

The disadvantage of a bp/w is that you have to design it to be good for your purpose. A lot of dive stores would rather sell a recreational diver something that the diver will not have to mess with in order to spend some time on the reef.

It sounds like you are willing to take the time to customize and train yourself to properly use your equipment. Therefore you may want to go with the bp/w. No instructor or dive shop will laugh at you for doing this. Besides, you can always trade it in or sell it on ebay and buy a BC if you really hate it. From what I have seen, there is a greater chance of you getting most of your money back with a bp/w as compared to selling a used bc.

As far as money goes, I built my bp/w setup with a hammerhead SS backplate and oxycheq standard 30 lb and single piece harness for just around 325 with shipping.

Puffer Fish:
Rapid,

Many of the Zeagle products are so close to a BP/W, there is not much difference. As you know, their line has really blurred the defintion, going in steps all the way from BC to simple BP/W, and everything inbetween.

Nice, but makes deciding which to go with even more confusing.

No question, with more options than ever, scuba gear selection in general is quite confusing (especially for the new diver). On the good side, there's something for everyone , depending on their dive profile.

It always amazes me at the amount of pros and cons get posted every time this question comes up.

The simple answer is, yes a there is no reason in the world for a new diver to get a BP/W. I did it and am very happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom