Should C-Cards Expire?

Should C-Cards expire or require yearly instruction?

• Yes, the cards should have an expiration date and divers should have to take a course again.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • No, but divers should be required to demonstrate competency to an instructor every year or two.

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • No, it's fine the way it is.

Votes: 65 51.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisscuba once bubbled...

Instructors can hold people back,...when was the last time you saw a PADI instructor ever fail someone?

I don't fail them. I hold them back til they're ready. I'm a PADI instructor.

It just means that they have the min skills required to dive safley with an experienced diver under the conditions trained in until they get more experience or training.

Instructors can hold people back,...when was the last time you saw a PADI instructor ever fail someone?

dive safely? well i wouldnt want to be that 'experienced' diver then.

i have personally never seen a PADI instructor fail anybody. BUT i have also seen a TDI instructor that has passed people that had no business in that particular class to begin with......

First cert NAUI OW in 74

PADI AOW 86

PADI rescue & DM 87 & 88

PADI IDC 97,... then decided I had enough.

Have dozens of instructor certs from several agencies

One of which I am glad is no longer with us, NASDS

IDEA was a bad idea!

I do like SDI/TDI

SSI was very good,...until NASDS guys crossed over!

I DM'd every weekend for years in Hawaii,..then PADI was only interested in numbers

I really don't think the actual agency makes much of a difference. It is the location/environment of the shop, the shop owner, the instructor and the student. I have lived and dove all over the country. The shop in San Francisco, where I learned to dive, the ones in Hawaii and Florida are great. People there have been diving for a long time and do it often. When you get to Georgia, Nabraska, Milwauki etc, these guys spend more time dreaming about diving. Normally they are a member of the 3 dive a year club and the shops have to dream up things to keep them interested and bringing in money,... i.e. like selling a weekend scuba c-card reneal in a heated in door pool.

All agencies OW courses are almost identical.
www.geocities.com/krisl_1999/bumper_sticker.html

I don't think for the recreational diver (basic open water or advanced open water) that they should expire. For professional level, yes I do think there should be some sort of timeframe where they would need to re-test or be evaluated. I know I wouldn't want to be tought by a divemaster who hasn't been in the water for 5 years and decides they'd like to start up again.

I have been an instructor with several agencies. There are agencies that offer extended open water programs with more dives, just as others,.. i.e. SSI requires 20 dives for advanced.

It's about money,...people don't want it,..They want to pay the min and do the min for the card. If you do not offer them Open water one weekend and advanced the next,..they will go somewhere like PADI and get it.

Basic Open Water is not designed to turn someone into a Mike Nelson,..or turn them loose drift diving the gulfstream. It just means that they have the min skills required to dive safley with an experienced diver under the conditions trained in until they get more experience or training.

I just read this again and you are way off. Surprisingly off in fact for an instructor.

The PADI text states that a OW diver at the time of certification is qualified to independantly plan and conduct OW dives in conditions as good or better than those in which they were trained.

Nowhere is it stated that they are only qualified to dive with a more experienced diver.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I don't fail them. I hold them back til they're ready. I'm a PADI instructor.

Ditto, however not everyone makes it. Some people just are not meant to dive. Most, if they work at it, can pass.

Pro certs do expire annually. You must be current with min certs and of course pay lots of money to get the renewal.

I have not read the PADI crap in years,..I know what they did in the 80's - 90's.

There was a outfit on Oahu, HI a couple of teenage kids,..one with a OW cert and one with a Rescue cert that took Japaneese students, that did not speak english, to the beach and trained them. They went back to the shop and had their old man sign them off. Off course PADI knew about it and had many complaints.

Do you think they did anything about it,...not as long as all that money was rolling in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While divemastering a night specialty as a PADI divemaster,.. I watched 3 marines,(DEAD) brought out of sharks cove, HI. They were 170' in a cave with one flashlight between them. I knew there instructor, PADI, that had certified them two weeks before.

The PADI night diver speciaty instructor,..he was charging $5 a head to pay for c-card. No class,..just a go through the motions dive to get his numbers up for an additional rating.

What the book says to cover their as...... is one thing,....what a lame instructor does or is capable of teaching is another

I see a lot of 55 mph signs on the road while being passed by trafic at 90. I once had a cop tell me he pulled people over at rush hour for doing the speed limit,..they were backing up traffic!!!!

There's a lot of people that believe that their little girls never have sex until their married.

Who will be the first agency/shop to cut their throat with expiring c-cards?

You walk into a shop to get certified and you are told that this is the only shop/agency thats training is so shacky that the certification expires and you have to pay money to renew every couple of years.

I would go somewhere else,...where the c-card does not expire!!

I have heard of shops trying to sell refreashers before they will fill a tank,...I hope that they were the only shop in town!

I walked into a PADI shop in Phoenix,..the 20 year old girl told me that I had to have my tanks VIP'd before she would fill them,...Why I asked,....the reply,..because they look bad.

I asked who was going to do it. She said she was. I asked what training she had. She said she was an instructor and this was a 5 star shop. oh I replied,..that means this shop has been in business for a year and you have no training outside of your OW class?

Then I told her that I had two national VIP certifications, had been diving since before she was born,...had taken PADI AOW through IDC and been with the agency for 12 years. You can stop the B.S.,..and fill the tanks or I will go somewhere else. She filled the tanks

I have never “failed” an Open Water Diver, but it has taken up to six months for them to be competent enough to receive certification.

I have failed instructor candidates for lack of skills, lack of academic knowledge, and for being unprofessional.

:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom