Should divers be tested for PFO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wpscortland

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about PFO recently, but no real advice. I heard of one dive club that has all its members tested for PFO?? Should a diver be tested for this? What test would be done? And what would a diver do differently if they confirmed they had a PFO.

this issue has been adressed in previous threads and there is no consensus in the scubaboard community, although in my knowledge it´s not recomended by the experts (that´s what I was told in a recent subacuatic medicine course). To completly out rule a PFO you should go through invasive technics, wich are not 100% complication free. And if you have it you have to get it closed.

miguel sanz:
this issue has been adressed in previous threads and there is no consensus in the scubaboard community, although in my knowledge it´s not recomended by the experts (that´s what I was told in a recent subacuatic medicine course). To completly out rule a PFO you should go through invasive technics, wich are not 100% complication free. And if you have it you have to get it closed.
Invasive procedures aren't really necessary. A Transthoracic Echocardiography (TTE) can be performed which is almost exactly like an ultrasound.

The Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE) type procedure places a doppler in the esophagus under mild sedation. I'm not sure how this could produce complications although going through the procedure to get it fixed (clamping) sure could.

I think if you know you have a PFO, put it on your DAN tag (if you have one) and monitor yourself closely while diving. Talk to your doctor and don't push the limits.

v_1matst:
Invasive procedures aren't really necessary. A Transthoracic Echocardiography (TTE) can be performed which is almost exactly like an ultrasound.

The Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE) type procedure places a doppler in the esophagus under mild sedation. I'm not sure how this could produce complications although going through the procedure to get it fixed (clamping) sure could.

I think if you know you have a PFO, put it on your DAN tag (if you have one) and monitor yourself closely while diving. Talk to your doctor and don't push the limits.

Invasive or not, the number of cases of divers being injured as a result of having a PFO appear to my untrained eye to be statistically low, and I wouldn't want to subject the entire diving population to *any* test intending to catch just a few....

And, if you know you have a PFO, would it preclude you advancing in classes, because your instructor would then make your doctor sign off before letting you participate? And, would your doc sign off?

scubasean:
Invasive or not, the number of cases of divers being injured as a result of having a PFO appear to my untrained eye to be statistically low, and I wouldn't want to subject the entire diving population to *any* test intending to catch just a few....

And, if you know you have a PFO, would it preclude you advancing in classes, because your instructor would then make your doctor sign off before letting you participate? And, would your doc sign off?
I agree that the test shouldn't be mandatory and I hope I didn't imply that from my post. I just wanted people to know that the actual tests for it are safe and pretty much complication free.

If you know you have a PFO you should talk to your doctor before taking up SCUBA or if you've recently discovered it then talk to your doctor about your current diving profile and ask about precautions you should take.

As for an instructor requiring a doctor's OK for a student with a PFO... what's so bad about that? If I were teaching a class I would want to know how everyone checks out physically if only to provide proper information to emergency personel should an issue arise. A statement from a doctor tells the instructor that a student has a condition and has talked to their doctor discussing the risks involved should they continue their diving.

wpscortland:
I've heard a lot about PFO recently, but no real advice. I heard of one dive club that has all its members tested for PFO?? Should a diver be tested for this? What test would be done? And what would a diver do differently if they confirmed they had a PFO.
I'm in the process of getting a DAN doctor's clearnce to dive because of asthma. During my testing, I found out that I have PFO. I have been journaling my testing and progess in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=64978&s=

Starting with post #15, I explain the testing that I went through to reveal the PFO. DocVikingo has given some good links in my thread about PFO and I've included a link to DAN's FAQ on PFO (which by the way does not say one cannot or should not dive with PFO).

I have an appointment on Thursday and I will get the final word about diving for me. I will post the results in that thread.

v_1matst:
As for an instructor requiring a doctor's OK for a student with a PFO... what's so bad about that? If I were teaching a class I would want to know how everyone checks out physically if only to provide proper information to emergency personel should an issue arise. A statement from a doctor tells the instructor that a student has a condition and has talked to their doctor discussing the risks involved should they continue their diving.

I was asking a question rather than implying an opinion.

My point was that if I know, that's cool and I'll be happy to get a doc to look at me.

If I don't know and don't feel the need to find out, that should be okay also.

Peace....

scubasean:
I was asking a question rather than implying an opinion.

My point was that if I know, that's cool and I'll be happy to get a doc to look at me.

If I don't know and don't feel the need to find out, that should be okay also.

Peace....
I agree with you completely.

Back
Top Bottom