Should I buy a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you start coming up from a dive all toasty warm with a thousand PSI in your tank, wishing that you could have stayed longer, well ... then think about a computer. Buy an inexpensive (used even) one first, get used to it and it's features, then think about shelling out the real bucks.

Yes...And always better to get the best you can buy. Doesn't mean you have to get a computer that does trimix calcs. But get the best you can for the type diving you will be doing.

I bought my dive computer after I have everything else.
Maybe you can use these as consideration.

1. Wetsuit : I guess wetsuit is the first thing you need to buy for hygiene reason. Remember, divers pee in their wetsuit.
And consider about skin bacteria etc with rental wetsuit.
Mask and snorkel come close as they don’t cost much but good to have your own.

2. BCD, for new diver, buoyancy and equipment stress are big problems. Rental equipments are sometimes in bad condition. I hate my first ten dives with leaking, oversize and half-broken rental BCD. It almost robbed me out of this hobby.

3. Regulator. Rental regulators are almost always in terrible condition. Leaking, spoilt gauge etc.

4. Fins. It’s good to have fins on your own, choose the suitable size and powerful ones to ease your dives.

5. Other accessories, light for night dives by the time you are ready for AOW, whistle, gloves, booties, pouch, smb, slate, weight belt.
It’s better to have safety device like smb and whistle early.

Dive computer is an important factor too. I used to think that I will survive without dive comp. I have my depth gauge and analog wrist watch to keep my safety stop time, when I logged my dives, I used my buddy’s informations.
But it’s not accurate and with dive computer, it’s safer because it helps you to know how long you could be in whatever depth, safety stop, accurate dive profile etc. But it’s not the first priority.

Imho, find out whether you really ready to commit to this sport.
If you are, my advice is to invest in good equipment rather than upgrade later would cost you more. But that’s personal interest and considerations.

I always say buy a good, well-fitting mask first, and then a computer, then other stuff as and when you can afford it/are diving enough to warrant it.

Yes, I agree that using a different rental BCD on dive trips can make getting your buoyancy bang on a bit of a hassle, but using a different rental computer on every trip is, IMHO, potentially lethal, as it takes time to get used to a computer, what the display means, what it is capable of, etc. I have been on trips where people have rented a computer and as we are on the boat on the way to the dive site, they ask me how it works!

If you have your own computer, you can learn it inside out and subsequently get more out of your diving.

JMO

Mark

For me, the air system is the most important, so I would look for a great regulator and add an Analog console that you can build on. I have an Apeks ATX 50, which is considered to be somewhat of a "high performance" regulator. For my console, I have the Suunto SM26/SM16 and added the SK7 compass. I do not use a computer, but am thinking of adding the Suunto Vyper into the console which will give me a great analog back up system to go with the digital. Most of the Suunto stuff can be added together and mixed the way you want it.
For my Octopus, I have an Apeks ATX 40. With the Vyper that all adds up to about $1,000.00!!
Then a really good BC that will fit your needs is important.
I have 2 sets of mask/snorkel/fins in case something happens, I can deal with it on the spot. Glass can be easily cracked with all of that gear. And there might be a time when you loose a fin on a difficult return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom