Should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuely86

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy a Mares Abyss first and second stage regulator with a versa pro dive computer(puck style on cluster) and compass. The seller wants 350$ and I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on it. It was serviced and then stored, and the battery needs replacing in computer. Please let me know what you think, I need to let him know by COB tomorrow.

Thanks
Andrew

Which Abyss? If it's the old model 22 they're $375 new. If it's the 52 they're $600 new. Regulators | Scuba Regulators at LeisurePro.com

There was also a recall on the console mount Versa Pro about 7 years ago. IDK if they still will honor it should that be one of them and he missed it. Support » Safety Notices

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy a Mares Abyss first and second stage regulator with a versa pro dive computer(puck style on cluster) and compass. The seller wants 350$ and I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on it. It was serviced and then stored, and the battery needs replacing in computer. Please let me know what you think, I need to let him know by COB tomorrow.

Thanks
Andrew

The Abyss is the 2nd stage. As noted by diversteve, you should find out which first stage it comes with, does it have the cold water kit or not, does it come with a backup 2nd stage (octopus)?

If the computer is working properly, it is probably an "ok" deal. I would say (without the computer) that $250 or so is closer to what you'd be able to pick this reg set up for on ebay, but then you'd need to pay for servicing... but depending on how long it has been stored, the 2nd stages may need a slight tune if their soft seats have taken a set (but 1st stage should be totally fine even after fairly long storage).

I have two MR-22 / Abyss setups, and find them to be very solid regs, and good breathers (when tuned correctly!), and very easy to service.

Have fun with it!

Best wishes.

I have Abyss Navy 22 extreme and it is good reg, especially for cold water (the same 1st stage). Like Lead Turn said it is good breather at all depth (Same resistance from 0-45 meters). Service in Europe is also cheap and avilable. Price sounds reasonable for me.
Just, IMO, they tend to free flow if they hit the suface during the water entry.

I would beware of someone who says:"this computer is fine, it just needs a new battery". If that is truly the case, the seller should replace the battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom