Should I do my Advanced OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnybigfoot

I found this one late but it sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

1. Train in your local (most challenging) conditions.

2. AOW is not about making you a better OW diver for the most part. It's about introducing you to other more challenging aspects of diving. If you are not yet comfortable and reasonably competent in making simple shallow daytime dives why would you want to be led into the deep or the dark for instance. They are all great growth opportunities when you are ready. When the time is right you will be prepared to absorb the new learnings and have a good time.

Getting your local instructors assessment of your readiness is a good idea. Be careful though since in some cases selling the next course is the prime objective.

You got certified to enjoy diving so go enjoy that for a while. The concept of training at home and playing on vacation also makes sense to me.

Pete

Thanks Spectrum.

Its encouraging people have taken the time to give a newbie their point of view.

Its sorted stuff in my mind and the point about an instructor having the sale of training as their main motivation as opposed to what is best for me is a valid one.

everyone is motivated by different things. Do what makes you smile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom