Should I even visit cozumel - beginner diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly.... I had the same concern when I heard that Cozumel was all drift diving.

Frankly, you're ahead of the game already (because you have demonstrated concern in regards to your diving skills being good enough to dive Coz).

To be honest, It sounds much scarier than it actually is ( not to say that accidents never happen). By the time you spend a couple days in the water at Meujeras you'll have developed a comfort level with being in open water again. I do agree that you'll want to find a good dive shop (Blue XT, Aldora, and Blue Angel all have great reviews) with quality DMs. Just tell your DM as much truthful information about your diving experience, comfort level, etc... and just use the DM as your "buddy" it actually is the best way to go because he probably knows where to find most anything you want to see. (they know where the big morays like to den, where the sea horses can be found (that's like looking for a flea on an elephant's ***) .

I mean... It's his/her backyard! Who else would be better to have as a guide then the person that knows every little knook and cranny?

As long as you keep your head about you, stay relaxed, and stay close to the reef ( staying close to the reef is more pertenant for some dives then others) you shouldn't have any issues. I was in Coz in May 2011 and their was a 12 year old boy that was diving every dive that I was diving and he hadn't been certified very long. He had a great time.... In fact it was hard to get him out of the water at times. The little turkey's lungs were so small that he still had 1200 lbs of air when the rest of us had already surfaced and were back on the boat.

Do not fight the drift dive. Embrace the drift dive. The drift is your power. The enemy is your fear.
And... tell the op your experience level. Don't do deep dives. Check your air. Ascend slowly.
Don't panic.

It is fine to think about this, but you do not need to over-think it. The fact is, nearly every dive destination in the world can accommodate beginners. Just tell them your experience level--and your comfort level!--and let them know that you do not want to get in the way of advanced divers. Hell, I have taken OW divers to Blue Corner numerous times. Even Peleliu Cut when its in a good mood. Many major ops in Coz run multiple boats throughout the day, diving various sites appropriate for various experience levels. There are heaps of easy dive sites in Coz, and except for Punta Sur and Maricaibo, even the "advanced" sites are not that big a deal. Especially about now when the currents are light. Go for it! The reefs are pretty amazing!! Good diving. Orders of magnitude more interesting that Isla, IMO.

Congratulations on your certification! You've just opened up a whole new world of fun! As a diver, new or not, you are responsible for your own limits. A day diving the reefs of Cozumel is better than none, but I would encourage you to spend a few there. When you talk to the dive op you're going to go with, you tell them your experience and comfort level. That way they can get you on the appropriate boat with like divers. I've been out with a few different ops there, and I have to say that they all were pretty good about taking care of new divers and the divemasters paid lots of attention to them. Everyone who has been there a bunch has their favorite ops. I have been out with Blue XT Sea and thought they were awesome and I really liked Christi the owner and her crew. I tend to dive with the op at Blue Angel, just because I've gotten to know them all very well and like them and its a quick walk from my place when I'm down there. Bottom line, I'd try and stay a few days there because the diving is amazing and the drift diving is sooooooo easy. Cheers!

In looking at your location, if you were certified on the Oregon coast, you should have no problem in diving Cozumel. The drift diving isn't much different than if you experienced any surge while doing your training dives. True that they are different underwater environments, Do some dives on Isla Mujeras, get used to not having a hood, and thick wetsuit, and spectacular vis. You shouldn't have any problems learning the effortless drift diving in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom