Should I get a 3mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Riemer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a dive skin that I use on vacation to Cozumel. I've recently lost a lot of weight. The dive skin still fits but I've been wondering if I should invest in a 3mm before I go back next month. I'm afraid with the weight loss, I'm gonna get cold. What do you think?

He with the most toys wins.

Actually it will be hard for use to determine if you will be cold or not. It is rather subjective and highly personal.

I have known well insulated person who get cold and skinny persons who could over heat in ice water. While not the norms it is all dependent upon your bodies tolerances and ability to control internal temps.

As cheap as they are why not get one just in case.

My daughter and I dove Cancun and Cozumel 2 weeks ago in a 3 mm shortie and was just fine. My friends dove is swim suits and tee shirts and were also just fine.
Our dive master who shall not be named wore a full 5 mm suit.
So I think it all comes down to what you think is cold. To me 80 deg water is warm, and either a shortie or just a rash guard shirt is fine.
Jim Breslin

Should I get a 3mm?

It depends on your diving.
A shorty is fine for short term exposure.
I wear a full 3 mm suit when I dive in tha caribean.
I typically am fine in 80°F water for an hour, but I find I'm a little chilled after a second one hour dive.

Mike D

I dive in PR and use a 3/2mm wetsuit, if not for the colder temperatures during the "winter" months, then for protection even when its not that cold.

As you dive more and are able to drift along not moving, you aren't expending as much energy, and therefore are more likely to get cold. Doubly true, because since you are minimizing excess motion, your SAC will go down and your dives will get longer.

All of this pushes more experienced divers towards thicker wetsuits. Definitely get either the 3mm or a 3/2 full wetsuit. For almost the same amount of thermal insulation with a bit less buoyancy, you can get a 3/2mm suit that has 3mm on the torso, but just 2mm on the arms and legs.

Charlie Allen

Get a 3/2. It won't be too hot, and it may keep you warmer as Charlie was describing above.

I am very fond of my 3/2 when I am swimming into Sea Lice or Jelly Fish.

I was in Cozumel two weeks ago and I used a 3/2 fullsuit. I was actually pretty cold at the end of my second and third dives of the day, but there were people in our group in skin suits that weren't ever cold.

I agree with Charlie99 and found the dives where we were only drifting to be the coldest.

Back
Top Bottom