Should I Sleep Over In Male Airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

four_engines

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm flying to Male on Singapore Airlines. The flight arrives at night, about 9 pm.

The problem is, the resort that I've booked with does not do night transfers. And if I were to check into a hotel in Male City, the resort also would not pick me up from the hotel. They only do transfers from the airport.

So, what do you think? Should I, or can I sleep over in the airport? Are there facilities in the airport for us to lay our heads?

Thanks!

F.E

four_engines:
Should I Sleep Over In Male Airport?

Personally, I would only sleep over in a female airport, but whatever floats your boat.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Marc

(Well everyone was thinking it, and someone was going to say it, so I figured I'd be first.)

Ya, I don't think I've ever seen a Male airport. I'm not sure what their accomodations would be like. I'm with FLL Diver.....i'd drive around till I found the female airport. ...its the one thats always running late.

....oh wait, there's a place in the world called Male....right right, now i get it.

-sorry four_engines, it was too good not to say something.

Guys, don´t joke with a serious problem .... :hm:

I went last year to Maldives (Male is the capital) and as far as I remember the airport is small. I don´t remember if there is chairs for you to seat and sleep :nighty:

Can´t you call a taxi from the hotel in Male City ? I think is a better idea.

four_engines:
Hi All

I'm flying to Male on Singapore Airlines. The flight arrives at night, about 9 pm.

The problem is, the resort that I've booked with does not do night transfers. And if I were to check into a hotel in Male City, the resort also would not pick me up from the hotel. They only do transfers from the airport.

So, what do you think? Should I, or can I sleep over in the airport? Are there facilities in the airport for us to lay our heads?

Thanks!

Just returned from the Maldives in May, the airport is actually quite roomy, and there are chairs around. Not sure if you would be allowed to sleep there though.
Mind you I found the people there very friendly and helpful, so i'm sure if you just 'ask the nice man' he might be able to assist you.

Are you not being met by a rep from the Tour Operator whom you booked with? If you are then he/she should be able to sort something out. Get in touch with who ever you booked the holiday with.
Good luck, and enjoy your time in the Maldives it is Paradise.

Male is not a user friendly airport. The Hulehule Hotel, while not cheap, is on the same island as the airport and will provide transfers to/from the hotel/airport.

four_engines:
Hi All

Thanks!

F.E

The resort should arrange for you to stay at the airport hotel...

four_engines:
Should I, or can I sleep over in the airport? Are there facilities in the airport for us to lay our heads?

F.E

I was there Sep 2003. I don't recall the airport being sleep friendly, but I remember it being clean.

We arrived around the same time night and me being frugal didn't want to drop a lot of cash for a half night at the resort we were staying or pay the expensive rates at the hotel near the airport. So instead we got on a dohni (local boat/water taxi) and stayed at a budget hotel in Male city. The resort picked us up there and then we went to the airport to get other guests.

FLL: Hahahahaha... That was very funny! Really! I didn't see it coming! I typed the message at 2 am... But wait, I spelt Male with a capital M right? Now, didn't we learn about capital letters in school?

Avalanche: Ahhhh... You realised!

Conce: I was told that the airport is not on the same island as city, so I can't go to and from the airport to the city that easily.

Mrs Mares: I booked directly with the resort. Didn't go thru any tour operator. Anyway, I thought I'd just get arranged to stay at "Male" City. Which is silly because I've got to get back the the airport the next day to transfer to the resort.

DontLieToMe, Frogfish, Slee416: Yes! You guys are right! I actually realised that there's an airport hotel. That solves 90% of the problem. Of course, except the money part. But I guess I can't really help it can I. Thanks!

F.E

Back
Top Bottom