Should I try Palau in spite of bleaching and typhoon---or just go back to Indo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning this years dive trip and thinking about Palau---a place I've never been, but always heard great things about. Recent stories of bleaching and the December cyclone however give me pause. I did R4 last year and Komodo before that and am thinking N. Sulawesi might be a better alternative to Palau since I really like Indo? Of course I'm not gonna get the big stuff there, but most of the recent videos I can find seem to show the coral in better condition in Sulawesi. Anyone been to Palau recently? Thanks in advance.

I can't comment on the condition post typhoon, but if you want great shark action Palau rocks.
They have grey reefs, whitetips, and black tips. Then there is some good manta action in German Channel. The vis isn't the best in the channel but the manta action is pretty good. There are lot's of larger reef fish/small reef fish and the walls, slopes have good diversity and health. I went to Palau for the sharks and wasn't disappointed, not only lot's of sharks but there were some really good sized Grey reefs. I was a bit disappointed with the guides swimming right by some of the macro life.

You gotta do Palau, it is my favorite site so far. By a lot. Ulong channel is my favorite spot. Blue corner, Peleliu corner and express, wow, just wow.

We were there three weeks post Bopha. Aside from some silt in the German Channel, I could not tell any damage on the dive sites we visited over 10 days. I agree with farsidefan1. We are arranging a trip to Raja Ampat for this next year, and by comparison for those of us coming from the West Coast of the US, the travel to Palau is simple and quick. Travel on shore is easy, no language or illness issues, lovely scenery above the water. We all have our favorite spots, and it is tempting to go back to what we know, but it is a big world and I know you would not be disappointed.

Last edited:
My wife and I just got back today from 2 weeks in Truk and Palau. Palau is great, with a beautiful mix of hard and soft corals, wall dives having lots of small sharks, and the manta dives were exceptional. The storm did some damage to the beaches and picnic structures, but the dive sites we visited seemed fine. However, we did not go to Peleliu because that area was reportedly more damaged from the storm. FWIW, we dove with Fish N Fins and we were very happy with them.

Same problem -- deciding between going back to Indo or try Palau. I loved my trip on the Paradise Dancer to Raja Ampat. My interests are mostly healthy reefs and walls and mid sized tropicals. Would probably do land based and would include Kosrae.
Any advice is welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom