Should Reg be Rebuilt or taken apart?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
While in Bonaire last week, we did our check out dives at the Divi pier. After the dive my fiancee and myself got out of the water and went on to dunk our equipment and wetsuits in the dunk tanks. While I was packing my locker I glanced over and noticed she did not have her ball seal screwed down to protect the 1st stage. I asked her if she had dunked the reg already and she said yes. I went up to the resorts dive shop and asked what I needed to do, he replied that I should just find a tank with air remaining in it and purge the regulator for a couple to a few minutes. I did this and she used the regulator with no problems for the next 6 days we were there. Even though the dunk tank is filled with fresh water I would have to imagine it has to be almost as salty as the sea with all the equipment that gets washed in it. Anyhow do you think I need to do anything further with the reg or should it be alright? She claims she just dunked it a few times and did not leave it soak.
Thanks
David

Yeah it's not worth the risk long term. What they told you was fine since you were goingto keep diving and hopefully not give it a chance to dry thoroughly but it should be serviced now. It does not take much salt to screw things up and cut orings and seals.

Also, before re-attaching it to a tank, you should have removed the high pressure port to avoid getting water in your spg

The only thing that will need to be serviced is the first stage. The hoses can just be taken off, rinsed with fresh water mixed with a TEENY bit of Simple Green, and then blown dry. The second stages obviously don't need anything done to them as they get wet anyway.

Blowing it out right away was the right thing to do.

Funny, people don't think twice about not rinsing the bladder of a BC. I have seen many punctures caused by large salt crystals that have formed over time.

Mike Rushton

Disassembled and cleaned. If it hasn't been serviced in a year, maybe a rebuild kit.

Wow. Those are great videos. I like how you've grouped the fishes. Very nice.

One question: what are the fish from part 4, 1:45-2:20? I don't think I"ve ever seen them, even in a magazine.

jiveturkey:
Wow. Those are great videos. I like how you've grouped the fishes. Very nice.

One question: what are the fish from part 4, 1:45-2:20? I don't think I"ve ever seen them, even in a magazine.

Oops. Wrong thread. :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom