Suggestion Should we have a politics subforum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
many users (myself included) would like to discuss politics on our favorite board (i.e. ScubaBoard)

management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

let's compromise. i propose the following:

1. a probationary Politics Subforum will be created. At any time management feels the forum is "more trouble than it's worth" it has the right to close it.

2. membership will be a privilege. you will opt in, and if you abuse the privilege, you will lose the ability to post. this way, we will weed out bad posters until only civil discourse remains.

3. TOS will be enforced by Mods as elsewhere on the board, with the exception that politics will be allowed. any personal attack, mean language, or any other violation of the TOS will result in your loss of posting privileges. at management discretion, your loss of posting privileges will be temporary or permanent. i suggest three temporary loss of posting privileges for the first three infractions. on the fourth infraction, you will lose your right to post on the forum.

4. the members themselves must police the forum to keep management's work load to a minimum. the members must stop those who break TOS and must refrain from responding in kind. it's our job to keep the forum open and earn management's trust.

what do you all think?

You mean buy everything for them, not make them do chores and when they get introuble, let them blame someone else?

Wildcard:
You mean buy everything for them, not make them do chores and when they get introuble, let them blame someone else?

no no no... not a Republican...

a Democrat

:D

But my personal view.....

I have no problem with it although I do think that we need to maintain sight of the fact that this is a diving board first and foremost - and then from there maybe something more. I've always felt that treating non-diving topics differently from each other...i.e.religion, politics, stuff like abortion etc... is intrinsically suspect, but hey....those are the rules I agreed to when I joined so while it's OK to suggest now and then that maybe a revision is in order, at the end of the day I can't whine if it doesn't happen, and if I really got to the point where I can't handle it I'd have to look elsewhere.

One thing I'm really sure of though. No matter WHAT is being discussed and HOW passionate it gets, people need to get a grip of themselves and stay civilized. As I read it, much like Andy's "rules" outlined at the beginning of the thread. I don't care who thinks differently to me, it's all just opinions anyway, so there's no need to lose the politeness and mutual respect and start with the name calling, poo slinging stuff. Any discussion is lost when it gets that far - no one is going to learn anything from it and the only thing that'll probably be left over is bad feelings.
I've got no time for that at all.

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: LOL
H2Andy:
no no no... not a Republican...

a Democrat

:D

catherine96821:
would the No people care to say why you care?

It would be self imposed segregation.

You would not have to deal with ANY politics.

Thanks for your input so far, folks. While I am sure that this will be discussed, please don't hold your breath- it's DEMA week & some of us are pretty busy right now. :D

Catherine, to answer your question (without taking a position one one side or the other), there are many, many members who express some very valid concerns about what they see as the proliferation of non-diving topics diluting the central purpose of ScubaBoard- an on line community for the discussion & promotion of all topics associated with the sport we love. There is merit to both sides of that much broader debate- the addition of political discussion is a subset of that.

One element that adds to that concern, IMHO, is the increasing intrusion of off topic, non-diving posts into the threads that are started to discuss SCUBA related topics- those who visit SB to learn & talk exclusively about diving, gear, training, etc really don't appreciate, & should not be subjected to, these types of hijacks. In this regard, I believe that the community should police itself & respect the desires of their fellow members.

Food for thought. Again, any disccussion of whether or not to have a political forum or even allow discussion is not one that is going to be decided quickly or easily. It would involve a change to the ToS & that is not something that we enter into lightly.

Bad idea IMHO

I have been fortunate to travel to remote places in the world to dive. I have also been blessed with the opportunity to dive with other divers whose only language we were both able to understand was diving signals.

My experiences meeting and diving with divers from other locations has been nothing short of the same magical experience one gets from just being underwater and marveling at the wonders of the deep.

In all of these experiences, every diver I have ever met; never brought up a political issue. In my experience it has been the one sport where the world can get together without the political baggage and just be part of the human kingdom in peace.

All of this said...A private forum might work, and discussing politics can be an "interesting opportunity", but it detracts from the purpose of the board.

Just one geezer's opinion

good luck with it Andy

Cheers

I have no problem with it although I do think that we need to maintain sight of the fact that this is a diving board first and foremost -

I have always been conscious of that and try and get "my stock up" when I have been conversive by taking time to make legit diving posts...unlike Andy who can go days until he thinks up a morsel of Dive McNugget and throws us a bone. Can you really right a funny post about falling in a puddle with doubles, unless you are some how socially connected in a group?

Marvel...well thanks for that.
Seems that some of the worst offenders are people who dive the most.
Maybe it is a function of those of us that are posting more, planning dives, posting pictures are talking more. And that is a good point, maybe SB should be a different kind of place where you just drop in to ask a question.

I see that side too...

On the other hand, Marvel, I hear complaints about the Christianity pretty often too. It doesn't bother me at all, but anyone that is not a born again Christian can feel out of place as well.

Like I said, I find you all very tolerant, but I hear (and am a little surprised actually) others make snide remarks... for what thats worth.

Usually, the complainers will find something new to complain about.
get rid of the social talk..and they will decide that something else isn't right.

But...I know you aren't making this up...it is out there.

Marvel:
Thanks for your input so far, folks. While I am sure that this will be discussed, please don't hold your breath- it's DEMA week & some of us are pretty busy right now. :D
We NEVER hold our breath. You must be thinking of the FreedivingBoard.

Many dive and ocean issues are very political and should be discused, this would provide a forum to do it in.

catherine96821:
...unlike Andy who can go days until he thinks up a morsel of Dive McNugget and throws us a bone.
Oh c'mon Catherine...you don't think Andy knows 20,776 things about diving do you? Give the guy a break! :D

Back
Top Bottom