Should you use silicone grease when attaching hoses to First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a new Zeagle Envoy regulator,

When I attach other hoses to the first stage should I be putting some silicone grease where the "o" ring is at the end of the hose?

Thanks,

Sy

nope. It is a static oring so it is best to leave it dry. If grease was used it would be best to use an O2 compatible compound in case you plan to use the reg for nitrox in the future (or now).

Scott

Thanks.

Could you explain a "static" o ring vs. another type?

nope. It is a static oring so it is best to leave it dry. If grease was used it would be best to use an O2 compatible compound in case you plan to use the reg for nitrox in the future (or now).

Scott

a static o ring is one that is just compressed, not forced into a grove or pocket like on a camera seal. I use silicone on static application. I remove most of the silicone before installation though leaving just enough to keep the oring moist. this will avoid dry rotting and help the oring keep it's shape on the last bit of compression as you tighten the hose. The Envoy is good up to 40 % nitrox from the factory so an o2 compatible silicone would be a good idea if you are ever going to use a mix other that 21% o2

A static o-ring is not subjected to movement, while a dynamic o-ring must make a seal while subjected to movement, like being installed on a moving part.

Both static and dynamic o-rings should be lubricated slightly. Theoretically it would be better to use christolube or some other O2 safe lube in this case, but silicone grease will work fine if you don't have any O2 safe lube. Many people, including me, often don't bother lubing the hose o-ring on the 1st stage side. It's an easy o-ring to replace without tearing the reg apart in the event it starts to dry out. You can even use a little spit, or grab a little grease off your nose if you have a shiny one!

Yes it is preferred that you apply silicone grease,or an O2 compatible product if applicable.

The purpose of the lube is so the o-ring will not pull and tear as it is compressed in the joint as it's wound in snug. You want to give it just a sniff of lube, enough to make the o-ring shiny is all it takes. Do not butter it up and keep it off the threads.

Pete

Scott

I agree with your logic but this is not a static Oring but a dynamic one. Granted it is not dynamic during operation but during assembly...while it is moving..it is dynamic and therefore should be lubed. O2 grease is fine if you got it but not really needed with nitrox mixes below 40%, esp on exterior Orings like hose Orings.

It's not a dynamic oring! Maybe you should download a copy of the Parker O-ring Handbook and brush up on seal design! It is a static oring as it does not move after it is assembled.

I don't think it is bad to put a very, very light coat of O2 compatible grease on it BUT I see many people way over do it with "light coatings" so it is better to have none than too much in this case.

Scott

http://www.parker.com/literature/O-Ring Division Literature/ORD 5700 Parker_O-Ring_Handbook.pdf

Like I said, in operation is is static but during assemble it is by def dynamic....it moves past it's mating surface until it come to rest and if it moves it is subject to be deformed by that motion. Lubrication is to help prevent that deformation and to ensure it is not deformed when it reaches it final resting place. The only truly static Oring seal I can think of that is used in scuba is the oring in some camera housing, Ikelite for one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom