Show me your mount!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you planning on keeping your head tilted the whole dive so the camera is level, or tilt the monitor when you want to watch it? :eyebrow:

You may want to add the pivoting arms on the mount to keep the camera somehow level. If you are filming fish swimming mid-water, it doesn't make a difference, but as soon as the bottom is visible, we tend to feel more very comfortable seeing it horizontally aligned.

I actually have it more horizontally aligned now over that picture, I was in the process of doing some more modifications to get it to a better angle. Although I am still trying to figure out a more friendly way to use it and my dslr or P&S cameras. I may wind up having it mounted below my Ikelite case for my dslr, just like the thought of having it see what I see throughout the dive.

Here is a pic of the Setup I used here :D

20120402122918.jpg

Is this the SRP Setup? are you able to send me the measurements of the tray? im in NZ and want to get an idea of the size before i order it from the states for my hero3.

Cheers

This is how I added 2 gopros to my existing setup. I have not taken it into water but several things are apparent. #1 I will have to buoyancy check it. I expect it went from -1lbs negative to -2lbs negative.

There will be lots of tweaking going on in next few months to dial this in.
IMG_0275[1].jpg

Interesting. You could also mount them on the same tray---either along side or below---the video camera. The GoPro's have an option to rotate the video 180 degrees in case they are recording upside down.

Is this the SRP Setup? are you able to send me the measurements of the tray? im in NZ and want to get an idea of the size before i order it from the states for my hero3.

Cheers

That is the SRP tray,

Dimensions of the Base are 25.5cm at the widest point where the handles are and 14cm from front to back at the center of the V. The Handles are 13cm long and each arm of the V shaped tray base is 18.5cm from end to center. Total weight not sure as I dont have anything to weigh it on but its pretty light and well built from high grade aluminum. It comes apart very quickly and no tools are required for assembly with all being attached with thumb screws and has plenty of mounting options, I am pretty happy with it and its served me very well so far.

The Light arms I use are the loclines but I mostly just use 2 lights atm, maybe when I get another pair of Sola lights I will go back to a 4 light setup but my 2 smaller lights weren't helping much and just creating a hotspot.

Here is a video of the setup as I have been using it lately with the hero3 black and new blurfix3 SO adapter.

[video=youtube;u73BNgs8U6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73BNgs8U6c[/video]

Here is a pic of a setup I used when testing out a few filters with 2 trays combined and 6x Hero2 cameras :D

img20120913063047y.jpg

I wanted a GoPro mount for my scooter, with a few specific desires:
  • secure
  • as light as possible, with minimal effect on scooter weighting/trim
  • easily removable to hand to my buddies
  • No effect on scooter when removed
  • swivels to capture from interesting angles
  • doesn't get in the way of stows or holds

The hardest part was finding light, marine grade mounting options, but apparently there are a few out there.

The ball/arm setup seemed ideal - I can rotate/swing/swivel in almost any direction, it was easy to remove underwater, and even serves as a handle for off-scooter use. Plus, at 60-70g negative in salt water, if I could make that segment close to neutral, the only weighting I'd need to account for is the scooter mount section. This would let me take the camera off and put it back on during the dive without having the scoot start to float away.

I used some high density pvc foam to fashion a 4cc block, and after some testing to get the buoyancy in the ballpark, sealed and painted it.

o0H5q.jpg

It's still a tad positive in saltwater, but it's easier to shave material off than add. I'm set to test it out in the ocean this weekend and find out if I've screwed up my calculations badly.

Rvtq8.jpg

Another nice thing about having the float attached to the backdoor; if I ever get the battery bacpac, I'll just make a different sized float to attach to the separate backdoor.

Back
Top Bottom